South Carolina and Georgia Livingstons or Levingstons

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Canadian Livingstone

South Carolina and Georgia Livingstons or Levingstons

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

SOS to Roberta and Jewel,

Can you folks put together a list of all early Levingston or Livingston householders that are recorded in the 1790 and 1800 Census in State of South Carolina and Georgia? Hopefully there arent too many of them at that time period, but I think it would be handy to have that list for future reference particulary cause we understand that some our highland people settled in the Carolinas and Georgia. Specifically we are looking for a Levingston or Livingston householder that lived in South Carolina and later moved to Georgia by the mid 1790's. Sorry I dont have a name but he might show up in both the 1790 South Carolina census and the 1800 Georgia Census.

regards,

Donald
Jewel

Re: South Carolina and Georgia Livingstons or Levingstons

Post by Jewel »

Hello Donald,

I'll start with Georgia in the 1790 and 1800 census, something that I can't really explain. When I did a search for Livingston & Levingston in the 1790 census for Georgia, there were none, and the same for 1800. Then out of curiosity I checked birth years for Livington & Levingston's in the 1850 census for Georgia there were some. I can't explain it. The names given below are from the 1850 U.S. census
GEORGIA
Levingston
James b. 1782 Georgia, (living in Alabama in 1850)
John b. 1810, Georgia, (living in Georgia in 1850)

Livingston
John b. 1783 Georgia, (Living in S.C. in 1850)
James b. 1794 Georgia, ( living in Georgia in 1850)
John b. 1800 Georgia, (Living in Illinois in 1850)

SOUTH CAROLINA
1790 census: Levingston
Bruce county Abberville
James county Edgerfield
Jno county Beaufort
Thomas county Georgetown

SOUTH CAROLINA
1790 census: Livingston
Bruce County, Lancaster
Duncan County,Richmond
George County,Abbeville
Hesta County,Colleton
John County NewBerry
Thomas County Abberville

SOUTH CAROLINA
1800 census: Levingston
John County Chester
John County Orangeburg Twp. Orange
Samuel County Orangeburg Twp. Lexington

SOUTH CAROLINA
1800 CENSUS: LIVINGSTON
Abraham County,Abbeville
Barnard County, Orangeburg TWP. Lexington
Bruce County Abbeville
George County Laurens
Henry County Abbeville
James County Edgefield
John C. County Beaufort TWP. Prince Williams
Thomas County Abbeville
Thomas County Georgetown Twp. Kingston

Regards, Jewel
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Jewel,

One more question on this one. Can you check the 1800 Census for Georgia and see if any of the same Livingstons Levingstons in the South Carolina Census of 1790 show up in the 1800 Census for Georgia?. sorry dont have a first name but want to see if any South carolina livingston householder moved to Geogia by 1800. So your looking for the same Livingston showing up in 1790 in South Carolina and in 1800 in Georgia. Dont know if this is the case but thought it worth a try. i dont have a name for this person just that he moved from South Carolina to Georgia between 1795 AND 1800.

regards,

Donald
Jewel

Post by Jewel »

Hello Donald,

When I checked the 1790 & 1800 census for Georgia there were no Livingston, or Levingston's.

I think you wanted to know , if I'm understanding you correctly, the Livingston's who were in South Carolina in 1790 who then would show up in the 1800 census for Georgia?

There was one,John Livingstone who was born 1783 in Georgia who was living in South Carolina in 1850. But like I said in the 1790 & 1800 census for Georgia there were no Livingson or Levingston's listed. I could check the 1820 though and see what is there.

Jewel
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hi Donald;

Michael Livingstone Sgt. South Carolina Royalists 1779 - 1781

John William Livingstone Capt. Kings American Regiment 1779 - 1783

Martin Livingstone (I think he was a Lowenstein) Capt. South Carolina Royalists 1779 - 1781

Henry Livingstone Cornet South Carolina Royalist 1782

John Livingstone South Carolina Royalist 1779 - 1781

John Livingstone Ensign South Carolina Royalist 1781

Donald, how do we know which of these were German Lowensteins; who settled in South Carolina and assumed the name Livingstone?

Regards;

Roberta
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Jewel,

Good question. I did not know that some of the German Livingstons ended up in South Carolina in the late 1700`s but that could well be. Ok heres the thing. We are looking for a father for a Barnabus Livingston who I think was born abt. 1793 and died in 1869 by one account. He and I think a Michael Livingston or Levingston were brothers and they were before in South Carolina in the 1790`s but should be Georgia after that. We dont know who the father was but it was assumed he might show up in both the 1790 South Carolina Census and 1800 Georgia Census. Clearly determing this is a problem if there are no Livingstons or Levingstons in the 1800 Georgia Census. That Michael Livingston you found in the military records is interesting and someone to consider as a possible father of Barnabus and Michael. I think it is stated that Barnabus and Michael Livingston and Levingston were neighbours in a later Georgia Census hence the notion they are brothers. I assume it has figured out they were not father and son. But if the later Barnabus and Michael are brothers then could this Michael Livingston you found in the earlier South Carolina military records not be their fathher or a relative I wonder. Michael is not that a common name for a Livingston. Chances are he has some family connection to this Barnarbus and Michael in the later census records. I will find out exactly where Barnabus and Michael were located together in the later Geogia records and clear that known detail. I will get back to you on this. Thanks for those miltiary records and for all the rest. Very INteresting that Michael Livingston was in South Carolina at the time of the Revolution. There was a sense we were looking for a Scottish Livingston but it could be a German Livingston I dont about that as yet but I am glad you brought that into the discussion as I had not considered that myself.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

HI Jewel,

Michael, Martin henry and John can all be German first names so these Livingstons that served with the Royalists in South Carolina could have been of German origin. I have seen lots of Germans who settled in North America with first names Michael, Martin, Heinrich and Johann. I wonder if they were German or highland Livingstons. Those names or at least most ot them suggest a German origin I suspect rather than an highland origin although there were alot of highlanders who fought on the Royalist side in the Carolinas durin g the Revolution. Very Interesting. What is more interesting is that in later censuse records in Georgia it is revealed that Barnabus`s neighbour presumed to be an older brother Michael was born in South Carolina while younger Barnabus was born in Burkes County, Georgia about 1794 or 1793. I noticed one account that he died in 1869 but I dont know if that is correct or not. So the origins of this family the decendant feels is South Carolina which is probably a good assumption. Also Barnabus named a son MIchael perhaps after the brother or his father. I wonder if that Michael Livingston that was in the Royalist regiment in South Carolina ended up after the Revolution in South Carolina and Georgia. I would have thought Royalist and loyalist would have left for Canada but I know that some might have remained in the States. I dont know if we can make a connection to this Barnabus and Michael Livingston or Levingston that show up in the 1850 Georgia census and this Michael Livingston or some of the other Royalist Livingston soldiers but it is an interesting possibility. I wonder if any show up in the 1790 South Carolina Census. Interestingly Germans did settle in both North Carolina and South Carolina apparently. I noticed that a Captain Martin Livington`s Company of the S.C. Royalist produced a muster roll for the period of February 1781 to April 1781. Without being 100 percent certain of this I think your suggestion these Livingstons are in fact German may prove to be right on the mark. Martin is I will wager not a common first name for a Livingston of highland origin.

regards,

Donald

You dont have any Livingstons or Levingstons in the 1810 Georgia census do you.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Jewel,

There is no notion of German ancestry with the descendant of Barnabus Livingston 1794-1869 nor he is he aware of Loyalist ancestry though the Carolinas had a significant loyalist population in the 1770's. Turns out there is also a Martin in Barnabus Livingtons family which is I found interesting because of the Captain Martin Livingston that you located in the Loyalist regiment in the 1770's. Anyways now I am really curious exactly what the origins are of these South Carolina Livingstons.
I guess I love a good mystery.
regards,

Donald
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hi Donald;

His full name is Martin Luther Livingstone. Roberta
Jewel

Post by Jewel »

Hello Donald,

I will go back and look further in the census again, I think I remember seeing a Barnabus but thought it was such an odd name for a Livingston that i let it go, sorry about that.

I also can't take credit for posting the Royalist and Loyalilst Regiment , that was Roberta's fine work.

Later Jewel