South Carolina and Georgia Livingstons or Levingstons

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Jewel

Re: South Carolina and Georgia Livingstons or Levingstons

Post by Jewel »

Hello Donald,

I don't think there were any census for Georgia until 1820.

Georgia, 1820

Barney Levingston Telfar County
Mikel Levingston Telfar County
(they are not living together though)

1860 Georgia County Telfar, TWP Lumber City

Barnabus Livingston age 66, B. Georgia
Harriet " 56 "
Sarah " 36 "
Delilah " 21 "
William Harrison 12 B. Florida
William Belan 38 B. S.C.

Living next door to Barnabus

Richard Livingston 31 b. Georgia
Elizabeth " 25 "
Martin " 7 "
John " 5 "
Nancy " 3 "
Barnabus " 1 "

Jewel
Jewel

Post by Jewel »

Hi Donald, Here is Barnabus Livingston in the 1850 census.

Georgia 1850 census County Telfar

Barnabus Livingston 56 Place of birth: Burke
Harriet 49 "
Sarah 26 Lawrence
Michael 25 Telfar
John 22 "
Richard 20 "
William 18 "
Martha 15 "
Eliza 13 "
Delila 11 "

Jewel
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Jewel,

I dont think my last post went through. Looks like Barnabus and Michael Livingston's family could be somehow connected to the South Carolina loyalists and to their family. Also you mentioned the family was of possible German origin. Our descendant of Barnabus Livington found this http:dutchforkchapter.org/html/livingston.html which gives detailed history of an 18th century South Carolina Livingston family of German origin which I found very interesting.
He is now seriously looking into this possible South Carolina Livingston connection to his family. The pieces in thisLlivington family puzzle may indeed be coming together thanks in large measure to your South Carolina loyalist info.
regards

DOnald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Jewel,
Thanks for the Georgia 1850 Census info.
THere was also a son of Barnabus named Martin Livington born abt. 1841 according to Barnabus Livingtons descendants family tree. Perhaps he died before 1850. Anyways he mentioned that Barnabus had a son Martin.That made me think when you mentioned Martin Livingston in the loyalist info you found and I later realized that a Captain Martin Livingston lead a loyalist company in South Carolina during the Revolution. The website I mentioned with Barney Livingston circa 1750 must be the same family of this Barnabus Livingston and Michael Livingston of Georgia dont you think especially when the records indicate that Michael was born in South Carolina.

regards,

Donald
Jewel

Post by Jewel »

Hello Dnoald,

Thought this might be of some help. In the 1830 census for Georgia, Telfair County:
As I had posted earlier in the 1820 census for Telfair County Georgia there was a Barnard Levingston and living in the same county was Mikel Levingston. Well in the 1830 census they are still in Telfair County. Here are the ages of people living with them. Of course this census does not give names or places of birth just a range of ages.

Telfair County Georgia, 1830

Barnard Levingston 3 males between the age of 0-5, 1 male 10-15, 1 male 30-40, Females: 2, 5-10
1, 20-30.

For Michael Levingston: 3 males 0-5,1 male 30-40, and 1male 60-70. For females:1, 0-5, 2, 5-10,
1, 15-20, 1, 20-30, 1, 50-60

Jewel
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Jewel.

Thank-you for all your work. This is great. I think there is little doubt that this Barnabus Livingston we have been researching is connected to this Barnie Livingston setter of colonial South Carolina and his loyalist sons. Interesting that Barnie first settled in Pennsylvania and was a german who changed his family name ot Livingston apparently. I knew from my earlier research that some of the of German families that settled in Pennsylvania like some of the Klincks had settled into neighouring Maryland however I did not know about Livingston Germans in South Carolina until this week.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Jewel,

The original Bernard Livingston settled in Dutch Fork, Newbury County area of South Carolina where there was a German settlement but some of his sons later located in nearby Cannon Creek. Bernabus Livingston b.1793 or 1794 is either a grandson or perhaps a great grandson of Bernard apparently. I am wondering if he might be a son of Bernard's son Michael who was loyalist early on in the Revolution and then switched sides. He disappeared from Newbury District records after the 1770's and there is no family tree for his children and none of the others list a Bernard or Michael born in the 1790's that lived later in Georgia so they might connect to old Bernards son Michael the soldier. The original Bernard Livingston or Johann Bernard Lowenstein was born abt. 1720 or 1712 I think. There is an interesting history regarding this original Bernard Livingston and http://www.palmettoroots.org/family_livingston.html is yet another site that discusses this family. I think our Bernabus Livingstone b.1793 of Georgia belongs to a Georgia branch of a son of Johann Bernard Livingston for which I am not certain there is a family tree such as this Michael Livingston born in the 1730's or 1740's. Bernarbus lived in close proxmity to a Michael Livingstonn and named his son Michael so he could be connected to this original Michael Livingston branch of the old Newbury County South Carolina family is my thinking. Well good guess anyways for now.

regards,

Donald
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hi Donald;

Country Harbour, Nova Scotia.

First settled in the year 1783 by men of the Royal North and South Carolina Regiments and Carolina Rangers: it was, for a long time, known as "Green Harbour". Changed to its present name in 1914; to avoid duplication of the name "Green".

Shelburn: over 5,000 United Empire Loyalists, principally from New York, settled here in 1773. It is interesting to note that at one time it had a larger population than Quebec and Montreal combined.

Information included in "Place Names of Nova Scotia" written by Jewels grandfather T. J. Brown.

Also, I am happy that you finally found your Uncle Donald; in Quebec, no less. Don't you think that Malcolm was also located in Quebec, around the same time as your Donald?

Regards;

Roberta
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Roberta,

Actually according to a list of Selkirk settlers from the Sept of 1812 recently arrived at York Factory included in Lord Selkirks papers and subsequent Red River Colony records, Miles Livingstons son Donald arrived with Miles and other Livingston from Scotland in August of 1812 at York Factory on Hudsons Bay and a short time later made their way south to Lord Selkirks Red River Colony in present day Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada and Pembina, North Dakota. Donald was a young man at the time and found work as a laborer at the Colony. He left the Red River Colony apparently in the Summer of 1816 and was likely in Quebec probably at Montreal by 1817 or 1818. I regret to say that my Livingston family did not go to Nova Scotia or PEI, though Miles and his family appear to have distant relation through a possible Morvern family connection with a PEI pioneer Donald Livingston who settled at Lot 65, Queens County, PEI in the year 1806. There appears also to be some distant Argyll County connection with your branch of the highland Livingstons during their highland Maclea era in more ancient times. In time more information may reach us indicating that some of the other pioneer families of Nova Scotia may be connected in some way to my ancestor Miles or his family but for now this is about all I know for certain. It certainly would not surprise though if we someday found out that some other pioneer Livingston family that settled somewhere in Canada, the U.S or Australia might be somehow related to my ancestor Miles. There are few that seem to have some connection somewhere in our more ancient past in Argyllshire. Hard to pinpoint precisely when however.

regards,

Donald
Jewel

Post by Jewel »

Hello Everyone,

I stumbled across a genealogy site which posts pictures for anyone researching their family heritage. It is free to join and might be very helpful.

There was someone researching their Livingston family from South Carolina and has several pictures with a brief history of them. This particuliar family was from Orangeburg So. Carolina. One picture was of a Duncan & Sarah Livingstone (McFarland) of Rothesay Scotland. Also a Barney Livingston of Orangeburgh S.C., and a John H. Livingston 1808-1885 who married a Nancy Wilson, he was the son of a John Livingston and Margaret Maffet Livingston II John served in the Civil War.
Couldn't remember if we had anyone researching the Livington's in South Carolina but they might want to take a look s there were many Livingston's listed for different areas of the U.S.

I didn't register to contact this Livingston researcher as I wasn't sure if there was any interest for it.

This site could be a good source for contacts of the forum.

http://www.deadfred.com

Jewel