Livingstones of Rutherglen and Alberta?

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
jmlivingstone

Re: Livingstones of Rutherglen and Alberta?

Post by jmlivingstone »

Hi Donald,

Just came across something which appears to be additional info on the family of John Livingstone & Agnes Lockhart, where she has the middle name of Aird, which I had never noticed before, the majority of this info has already been posted, this is basically adding a little more detail, this additional info was found on Ancestry.

1. John L., b. 30 Aug.1866 at Old Monkton, parents John L. & Agnes Aird Lockhart, he married Georgina Mitchell at Rutherglen on 10 Apr. 1894, & d. 17 Feb. 1924.

2. Adam Aird L., b. 24 Oct. 1868, Old Monkton, Parents John & Agnes L., m. Margaret McVittie at Motherwell, on 29 Apr. 1892, d. 28 May 1935 at Rutherglen.

3. Robert L., b. 1868 Rutherglen, m. Emily Bridge (s) abt. 1868 possibly at Rutherglen, Emily b. Burnley, Lancashire, they appear to have had a son Robert, dob unknown, daughter Alice Bridges b. 1901 at Govan, Glasgow.

In 1901 census, normal residence is 105, Clarence Drive, Partick, Glasgow, Roberts occ. is traveller in woollens.

Some of this you had already covered, Emily B. & traveller in woollens I remembered from an earlier post from yourself.

4. George Lockhart L., b. 29 Jan. 1871, Parents John & Agnes L., m. Jane ????, d. 1940 Abercorn, West Lothian ( apparently approx. 5 miles from South Queensferry ).

Res. 1881 - Carnwath / 1901 - Elswick, Northumberland & Rutherglen / 1940 - Abercorn, West Lothian.

Family, John L. 1895 / James L. 1897 / Jane L. 1901.

5. There is also a Mary L. b. 20 Sept. 1867, Rutherglen, m. Robert Renny, d. 15 Apr. 1940 in Michigan, her parents Neil L. & Elizabeth Cochrane, not sure that Mary is part of the same family, but I seem to have seen her parents names before, somewhere.

John
Canadian Livingstone

Re: Livingstones of Rutherglen and Alberta?

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi John,
Thanks for the update on the family of John Livingston and Agnes Mitchell.
I noticed something very interesting and curious. We are studying two Livingston families that lived in RUtherglen at one time or another. One is clearly connected to Savary, Morvern Donald Livingston's son Adam Livingston the Miller of Savary,MOrvern in the early 1800's. His son was Robert Livingston who with his wife Agnes Nichol resided for a time at Rutherglen. Now they had a son named Adam and a son named Robert for obvious reasons but then this other Rutherglen Livingston family of John Livingston and Agnes Lockhart also had s a son Adam and Robert. Just a coincidence. I wonder if this other Rutherglen Livingston you just mentioned whom I am unable to trace back far enough to determine a HIghland Argyllshire connection is in fact connected to the Donald Livingston family in some way. The fact that two Rutherglen Livingston families should name their Children both Adam and Robert suggests the possiblity of a connection with the Savary Movern Livingston. Of course it is difficult to prove. Robert is a very popular name amongst the famous Morvern Donald Livingston's kin. He named a son Robert and his son Adam named his son Robert and other kin also named a child Robert. If you find a Robert in Morvern in the 1800's chances are he is connected to the famous Donald Livingston. At this point however only Robert Livingston who married Agnes Nichol is a sure thing to be decended from Adam and residing in the 1800's for a time in Rutherglen Parish, Lanarkshire. Later this family was at Cambuslang Parish, Lanarkshire. Is there is a family connection between the two it would be difficult to prove I suspect. I was unable to trace the John Livingston who was married to Agnes Mitchell back to highland Argyllshire, though it is conceivable they are of highland Argyllshire origin. Whether John's family has a Morvern Argyllshire connection or any other Argyllshire Livingston connection just dont know. Most of the Lanarkshire Livingstons in the 19th century census records in the Glasgow vicinity for example are infact highland Livingstons that went there to find work in the factories and mills as did Dr. Livingstone's grandfather Neil Livingston and his family in 1792.

regards,

Donald

I solved a mystery regarding Robert's father Adam Livingston miller and tenant farmer of Savary, Morvern. HIs first child who had a different mother than the others was on their baptismal record listed as "Illegitimate" and the mothers last name was intrepreted by some to read as Livingston but looking at a copy of the original it actually unreadable. Even the first name is almost impossible to read. In any event I was wrong to conclude Adam was married twice. THe parish records are indicating only one wife the mother of all of his children except the eldest who is recorded as Illegimate in the parish records. So the mother listed in Robert's obituary and in the Morvern Parish records in Roberts baptismal record is the correct name of the Adams one and only wife I would assume. Although the mother of the first child as been intrepreted as being "Mary" I am thinking that is good guess given the poor legibility of the writing. It is also possible that the first wife could be the first child's mother but there is no way of knowing if that is true. Anyways the records clearly explain that there appears to have been only one wife for Adam the Savary Morvern miller not two as I had earlier wondered. Mystery solved it would appear. Adam Livingston born in the late 1700's died before 1841 and so I dont have much info apart from a reference from 1813 that he was a Miller at Savary and his childrens parish records from the 1820's in Morvern. A descendant also mentioned that he was a miller at Savary and a son of the famous Donald Livingston of Savary, MOrvern.

While not a common name amongst highland Western Argyllshire Livingstons/Livingstone interestingly the Island of Lismore Livingstons also used the name Adam. One John Livingston a native of Lismore resding with his wife Catharrine in the 1850's in Gorbals, Lanarkshire named his son Adam and I have seen the name Adam I think in the Bachuil, Lismore Livingston family parish records. Not used that often amongst Western Argyllshire livingstons so when it is used it stands out in the records. Actually Baron Coll Livingston's brother was an Adam Livingston born abt. 1778. Adam married Mary McCorquindale and eldest son John Livingston his son married Catharine McCorquindale of Lismore. By 1841 John and Catharine are residing in Gorbals, Lanarkshire. In 1861 John and Catharine and family are in Govan, Glasgow, Lanarkshire. John and Catharine are recorded as being born at Lismore in Argyllshire in the 1851 Census. John Livingston died December 11th 1871 in the District of Govan Church widower of Catharine McCorkingdale at the age of 61 and was recorded as the son of Adam Livingston and Mary McCorkingdale. John's Uncle was Baron Coll Livingstone born 1773 at Bachuil, Lismore.

regards,

Donald