Livingstones of Rutherglen and Alberta?

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
jmlivingstone

Re: Livingstones of Rutherglen and Alberta?

Post by jmlivingstone »

Donald,

I was looking at the death cert. of Robert Livingstone, (Stat. Death 528/00 0008), on the same page there is a Donald Livingstone, widow, died 14 May 1856. Donalds wife was Catherine Livingstone ( maiden name Livingstone)resident Knock, Morvern, no idea if they were related.

The undertaker at Roberts death was Duncan Livingstone, at Donalds it was John Livingstone, I wonder if the undertakers were part of the same family as the deceased.

The cemetery appears to be Kilcomkill/KillcomKill, Roberts death was signed by Duncan, his nephew & Donalds by John, his son,

John
Last edited by jmlivingstone on Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Kyle,

Daryl is listed as a member, no idea if he still looks in or not,

John
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Donald,

You probably already have this info, marriage, Robert Livingstone b. 19 Sept. 1825, Morvern, f. Adam Livingstone, m. Peggy McDonald, GROS Data 528/00 0020 0015.

Roberts death 1856 GROS Data 528/00 0008,

John
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi John and Kyle,
Robert died in 1906 in Cambuslang Parish and his parents were recorded as Adam Livingston and Margaret McDonald. This makes sense of course as his father Adam Livingston was in the early 1800's a miller at Savary was a son of Donald Livingston who also is known to have been a miller at the Savary, Morvern Mill. This Robert b.1825 son of Adam that settled in Lanarkshire was the only clear male Livingston descendant of Donald's children that I track into the 20th century. And Robert had three sons so there may be Livingston decendants still residing somewhere in Lanarkshire today.
See my early posting on the family of Donald Livingston and Jane (Jean ) Stewart of Savary Morvern and their known Morvern family. Yes Kilcolm Kil is apparently just another for Keil Cemetery where infact the famous Savary, MOrvern Donald Livingston's (1728-1816) parents John Livingstone and Ann McInnis are bureid and presumingly Donald himself of Battle of Culloden fame. Thats where Donald had an elaborate highland stone tomb with ornate grave slab including a family coat of arms created apparently some expense in 1760 for his parents. Some of Donald's family were indeed buried in that cemetery I think it was in the 1850's. I will try an find my original posting on this Morvern family line. Your mention of Robert Livingston b.1825 formerly of Morvern got me thinking of it.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi John,

Yes the other Robert who died in 1856 back in MOrvern and was buried at Colm Kil cemetery there was a son of Donald Livingston and Jean or JANE Stewart of Savary Morvern. Donald being the old Jacobite Donald Livingston of Battle of Culloden fame. His nephew Duncan is mentioned and Duncans father I discovered was Allan Livingston of Morvern yet another son of Donald Livingston. (See my Postings on Donald Livingston of Savary, Morvern beginning March 2011 that I have posted on today and brought forward.

regards,

Donald
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

jmlivingstone wrote:Kyle,

Daryl is listed as a member, no idea if he still looks in or not,

John
Ah, I see!

I sent him an email letting him know about the thread and seeing if he's interested in checking in. Hasn't bounced yet, which seems a good sign.

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Donald,

A bit more on Adam Livingstone, son of John Livingstone & Agnes Lockhart.

25 Nov.1921 marriage of Adam Livingstone & Annie Campbell McLean at Croft Road Cottages, Cambuslang, GROS Data 627/00 0209, both Adam & Annie were widowed at the time of the marriage, Adam was 51 years old, Annie was in her twenties, her residence was Springwell, Port Glasgow,

John
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Donald,

I just found what may, or may not be, an explanation of Johns brother being listed as Robert Acken in the 1906 census of Canada.

Canadian military enlistment/attestation paper number 81519, signed at Winnipeg, 21 Dec.1914, by Robert Mitchell Aitken Livingstone, b. 22 Feb. 1896 at Rutherglen, Lanark, Scotland.

Next of Kin Address; Vanguard, Saskatchawan, Canada, Occ. Farmer.

He served with the 8th. Field Ambulance in France for almost 5 years, & was discharged due to his refusal to allow anoperation to be carried out on himself.

On 07 Oct. 1919, he re-enlisted at Winnipeg, enlistment/attestation paper number 252127, it does not say what the unit was, probably the field ambulance again.

Next of kin was his wife Adeline Livingstone, 651, Bannerman Avenue, Winnipeg, & dob. 22 Feb. 1896.

As usual I'm not 100% certain on this, but the dates etc., appear to tie in, could be another census taker mistake calling him Acken, unfortunately, I found this info, but not what I set out searching for,

John
Canadian Livingstone

Hi John,

INteresting that we are dealing with two Livingston families that lived in Rutherglen Parish, Lanarkshire. The one connected to Donald Livingston 1728-1816 of Savary Morvern and who later resided in Cambuslang Parish, Lanarkshire. There is no obvious connection between this family that settled in Canada from Rutherglen but both families are in the RUtherglen Parish records and I try to be careful not to mix them up with Robert Livingston of Morvern Argyllshire and Agnes Nicols family line. Yes I am glad to see you continuing with the RUtherglen Livingston family that settled in Canada. Thanks for that.

I think you probably right about that name in the Canadian records. I also noticed in the RUtherglen Parish birth records in the Scotish records for Livingtons reference to the name "Mitchell" so that must be the full name you mentioned in that Canadian military record. I know for certain the other Livingston family in RUtherglen Parish were connected to a Mitchell. You are an astute genealogy sleuth to piece it all together. Nice work Sherlock.

regards,

Donald
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Donald,

Pure luck I found that info, I was chasing something entirely different,

John