David Livingstone

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
jimmywatsondsl

David Livingstone

Post by jimmywatsondsl »

hi

My great aunt talked about a connection (Solomon Livingston - no 'e' generally but some papers show it with an 'e') with David Livingstone the explorer. apparantly everyone with the name livingstone in days gone by, claimed to be related, but my aunt was not one for making things up generally... so could there be something in it? David Livingstone's family tree shows that there were tailors relations running successful businesses. Solomon was a tailor and ran his own successful business (ancestry.com has him listed in a census as a spirit merchant as well!), but he came from a farming background. would someone like solomon be able to learn a trade like this if he wasn't not connected to a tailor?

my great great grandfather was James Brown (plumbing merchant). we've done quite a lot of research into this branch, but drawing blanks once we get to solomons father and mother. We have a photo of Solomon Livingston and Euphemia Murrey (circa 1850's) and happy to send a copy if it to anyone with a connection

best wishes

jimmy
Canadian Livingstone

Re: David Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Jimmy,

I too I am finding it difficult to determine Solomon's origins in Argyll an in locating his parents. It states in the 1861 Scottish census that your ancestor was born at TS Ling, Argyll but I can find no place with that name. Ling is apparently a type of fish found in the waters of Western Argyll but I have not as yet found it to be the name of a location in Argyll County, Scotland. There is a Solomon Livingston in the 1851 Census but he was born at Kilbernie, Argyll which seems to be actually Kilbernie Ayrshire I think so I am bit stuck on this one. Perhaps Scotland People has some baptismal records of Solomon Livingstons.

regards,

DOnald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Jimmy,

In terms of the parish records the only one I found that came anywhere close to your Solomon was one entry for a Solomon Livingston of Kilninver an Kilmore Parish, Argyll son of Neil Livingston and Margaretn McColl born May 18, 1820 baptised June 4,1820

regards,

Donald
jimmywatsondsl

Post by jimmywatsondsl »

hi

there are two solomon livingstons born approx the same time. they must be connected as its very unusual that they are both solomon. but this is a different solomon who then moved to blantyre, while my ancestor moved to the gorbals.

My solomon married twice according to his death certificate. Firstly to Catherine Maclachlan and then to Euphemia Murray. According to his death certificate his parents were Donald Livingston and Agnes Livingston nee Stevenson. He died February 15th 1886.

His daughter Elizabeth married James Brown who was my great great grandfather.

thank for interest hopefully someone will be able to shed some light

jimmy
Margaret Stewart

Post by Margaret Stewart »

1881 Census

Dwelling: 89 Commercial Road
Census Place: Govan, Lanark, Scotland
Source: FHL Film 0203670 GRO Ref Volume 644-11 EnumDist 23 Page 4
Marr Age Sex Birthplace
Solomon LIVINGSTONE M 62 M Kilbrandan, Argyll, Scotland
Rel: Head
Occ: Tailor
Euphemia LIVINGSTONE M 45 F Barrhead, Renfrew, Scotland

I'm sure you'll already have this but I wonder if TS Ling could be the "IS"land of Luing (pronunciation Ling).

Margaret
Jill Richmond

Post by Jill Richmond »

I agree with Margaret. TS Ling is almost certainly the Isle of Luing. The T could well be a badly written I. Also Kilbrandon parish is adjacent to the Luing parish of Kilchattan, and they now form the single parish of Kilbrandon & Kilchattan. At one time there were a number of Livingstons living on the Isle of Luing. My 3times great aunt Mary was born at Bardrishaig on Luing circa 1782, and Livingstons continued to live on the island until almost the present day.

Regards,
Jill
Jill Richmond
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Jill,
Absolutely. I seem to remember seeing this Isle of Liung entry before for a Livingston perhaps it was Solomon.
Solomon may be in that Parish entry book from the Isle of Luing. And if he is not it still may be possible that his parents marriage record is in there. His father was a Donald Livingston and his mother was a Stephenson according to his death record I think. So even if for some reason Solomon's baptism cant be found one still might find a marriage record for the mother or father in the kIlbrandon and Kilchatton parish record or another parish on the Isle of Luing. Scotland people may have some info on this family.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Margaret,

Thanks for that. That pretty much confirms Solomon Livingston was born and possibly baptised at Kilbrandon and Kilchatton Parish on the Isle of Luing in the 1820's.

regards,

Donald
Jill Richmond

Post by Jill Richmond »

Hi Donald,

I think the book you refer to may be the one I have entitled 'Kilchattan Kirkyard'. I have had a look through it in case Solomon's parents were buried there, but could not find any reference to them. It is possible that a search on the Scotland's People website might turn something up. I think that at the time of Solomon's birth Kilbrandon and Kilchattan could well have been separate parishes. I have no idea when they would have been joined together.

Regards,
Jill
Jill Richmond
Canadian Livingstone

HI Jill,

Actually I thinking of looking in the parish book records with the Church of Scotland baptism and marriage records from Kilbrandon and Kilchatton Parishes. Scotland Peoples however may have copied this collection. Solomon is listed as being born born abt. 1819 in the 1881 Census but I found no marriage for Solomon Livington born or baptised 1819 or 1820 at least in Kilbrandon and Kilchatton Parish in the LDS collection and no Donald Livingston marriage to a Stephenson as yet in Kilbrandon, Kilchatton or anywhere else in the early 1800s so far.

regards,

Donald