David Livingstone

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Canadian Livingstone

Re: David Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Jill,

Stephensons while at Campbeltown, Kintyre here and there elsewhere in Argyllshire in the 1800's dont appear in significant numbers on the Isle of Luing thou there may have been a family or two when Solomon and his family was living there. Certainly there are other counties with greater numbers of Stephensons. Solomon's mother was a Stephenson.

regards,

Donald
jimmywatsondsl

Post by jimmywatsondsl »

thank you, this all helps. A librarian at the Argyll archive offered to help do some research two years ago, he came back saying that he felt that the lack of records for donald and Agnes could mean that the parish record’s were lost (possibly in a fire, which he said was common at this time).
jimmywatsondsl

Post by jimmywatsondsl »

hi jill/donald

the isle of Luing is proving interesting

there is a Isle of luing website http://www.isleofluing.org/luingweb/heritage.asp

and it lists

Farm and Croft Tenants

Campbell
Chananich
Drummond
McBrion
McDougald
McIntore
McIntyre
McKrarmid
McLea
McOnlea
McVarquish
Stevenson
Tait

Anderson
Bell
Brown
Caldwell
Campbell
Carmicheal
Clark
Graham
Livingstone
MacIntyre
McArthur
McCowan
McDonald McDormiad
McDougall
McEachern
McInnes
McLachlan
McLean
McMicoll
McPhail
McQueen
Marquis
Paterson
Stewart

thanks

jimmy
Jill Richmond

Post by Jill Richmond »

Hi Jimmy,

Yes, there is an Isle of Luing website, and the Luing History group have also published a book entitled 'Kilchattan Kirkyard', giving the surnames of all the people buried there, and some of the inscriptions on the gravestones. Over the years 36 Livingstons and 7 Livingstones have been buried there. I also see that 5 Stevensons have been interred there as well. I haven't had time to check the illustrations to see if any Stevensons have been included. I shall have a look later on, and if there is anything of interest, I will let you know.

Looking at your list of tenants, I was interested to see that there was a McLea and a McOnlea listed in 1834.

A note for Donald: sometime ago you said you thought that there was a copy of a list of Breadalbane tenants on Luing. I contacted someone at the Luing History Group, but did not receive a reply and concluded that this was probably not the case, but if you wish to follow it up, please do.

Regards,
Jill
Jill Richmond
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Jill,

It is a wonderful thing for us and quite significant actually that Maclea and Mconlea are included in the 1730 list as such finds are few and far between. Significantly at Luing as in places inhabited by highland Macleas/Maconleas more closely located to the Island of Lismore home of the Bachuil Livingstones we see in the baptismal/marriage records that later in the 1700's that entire Maclea/Maconlea family groups in Western Argyll have become Livingstones/Livingstons.

As I recall the Luing Historical Society had a collection of research material that included a copy of the Bredalbane list and some other interesting old documents. Perhaps someone in Luing can provide us with the name of a contact person. If not I shall attempt to acquire a copy elsewhere I guess. Thanks for trying anyways. I would like make contact in the future with all of these Argyll historical societies and let them know of our research interests.

Yes every once and while we get lucky and an old document surfaces from obscurity that mentions a Maclea, Maconlea, Dunslea or some spelling variant and I end up doing a Maclea Livingstone happy dance. Rob Livingston and I shared an interest in these old highland Maclea records and he would from time to time e-mail me with one he had located.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Jimmy,

Thanks for that information. I think from the standpoint of your own family research what is most significant is that there is a Stevenson mentioned. There arent actually that many Stevensons residing in Western Argyll at this time as their ancestral homeland is not Western Argyll I would suspect. There were a few in the Campbelltown,Kintyre area and in some parishes in Eastern Argyll in the 19th century.That being said your ancestor's death record stated that his mother was a Stevenson and we also know that your ancestor was born at Kilbrandon Parish, Isle of Luing so looks like you are indeed on the right track. And as Jill has stated there are Stevensons buried on the Isle of Luing. I understand that someone checked the baptism/Marriage information included in the old Church of Scotland Parish books to try an locate your family and failed to do so. I checked out the LDS collection of baptisms and marriage and found neither your ancestor's baptism nor his parents marriage.

regards,

Donald
jimmywatsondsl

Re: David Livingstone/Solomon Livingston

Post by jimmywatsondsl »

Hi Donald/Jill

I have found 2 Solomon Livingston’s, both are tailors:
• Solomon b.c. 1820 to Neil Livingston and Margaret McColl, married Margaret McNichol or McNicoll 18 Dec 1840 barony, Glasgow.d. 28 May 1866. Birth of son: Solomon c. 1845 (he became a Tailor, Journeyman, d. 21st January 1864, Royal Infirmary, Glasgow.)
• Solomon b.c.1825 to Donald Livingston and Agnes Livingston (no marriage records exist for period 1808-1824 for Parish of Kilbrandon/Kilchattan).
I think that Neil and Donald Livingston may be brothers.
I found a death cert for a Donald Livingston on 17 Dec 1860 buried in the churchyard at Kilchattan, District of Kilbrandon& Kilchattan, aged 80, married to ? McColl (not possible to read name from cert) , this could be the father of Donald father to Solomon b. c. 1825).

I could not find any records for a Solomon Livingston(e) before 1820, no records for Solomon Stevenson, however there are several records for Solomon McColl in Argyll (earliest on IGI is b.c.1741 at Achnacroish, Appin, Argyll, there is another b. 20 Aug 1768 at Lismore, Argyll and christened Killean, Appin, Argyll, to Dugald McColl and Janet Livingston.
I believe that there is a connection and descent from this family possibly by the marriage between Donald (d 17 dec 1860) and ? McColl.

jimmy
jimmywatsondsl

Post by jimmywatsondsl »

i've posted a picture of solomon and Euphemia (nee murray) livingston

jimmy
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Jimmy,

THanks for that. Those seem to be the few Solomon Livingstons one can find born around the time period of your Solomon but I cant say that either one are your ancestor Solomon. Definitely convinced through the Isle of Luing Stevenson connection and the info from the census record that your Solomon Livingston is from the Isle of Luing and likely connected there to Kibrandon and Kllchatton Parish. Look forward to seeing your photo of Solomon Livingston and his wife Euphemia.
Sorry I havent been much help in your efforts to locate more information on Solomon.
regards,

Donald
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hi Jimmy;

I found a listing of Canongate Marriages; I see James Livingstone, labourer married Christian Murray daughter of John Murray, Mason, Whitburn. July 26, 1798.

Canongate Register of Marriages {1564-1800} there are lots of Livingstones.

Regards;

Roberta