David Livingstone

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Canadian Livingstone

Re: David Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Jimmy,

Jill has sent me the early Rentals of the Earl of Breadalbane's Estate: Isle of Luing for year 1730 there were several Mconleas in the early 18th century at Lecibuy, Lechamore and at Kilchattan Parish two Donald Mconleas whose descendants later in the 18th century adopted the name Livingstone as did the rest of the highland Mconlea and Mcleas. Most interesting Jill has found at Bardrissooh there was a Robert Stevenson slater who must of worked at a slate quarry in the area. Presumingly Robert Stevenson is related to the Stevenson that married your Livingston ancestor from Kilchattan, Isle of Luing.So there were indeed Stevensons on the Isle of Luing it would seem. Now if we could only locate some pieces in the puzzle.
regards,
Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Jimmy,

In the 1841 Census there are few Stevensons still living in Kilbrandon and Kilchattan Parish
likely related to Agnes Stevenson that married your ancestor Solomon Livingston born in the 1820's

1. James Stevenson b.1766 Kilbrandon and Kilchattan Parish, residing at Degnish employed as a dipster
2. Janet Stevenson b.1761 Kilbrandon and Kilchattan Parish a Spinster residing at Balvicar village with two children Mary McLaughlin age 5 and Nk McLaughlin age 2
(Note: Solomon Livingston's first wife was a McLaughlin and she may have been related to these McLaughlin children) Janet could be Solomon's Aunt?
3. Alexander Stevenson b.1801 Kilbrandon and Kilchattan Parish farmer residing at South College farm with a Captain John Campbell and family

regards,

Donald
Jill Richmond

Post by Jill Richmond »

Hi Jimmy and Donald,

Although it is spelt Bardrissooh in the Breadalbane rentals list, this is almost certainly Bardrishaig which is situated at the north end of Luing. My own family lived there for a while and my 3times great aunt, Mary Livingston, was born there in 1782.

Regards,
Jill
Jill Richmond
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Jill,

There is a chance that one of the Stevensons born in the 1760's is a grandparent of Solomon Livingstons. One of them could be a parent of his mother Agnes Stevenson.
I wonder if these Stevensons are in the Kilbrandon and Kilchattan Parish records and has someone searched these parish records for Agnes Stevenson? Is that village you mentioned in Kilchattan?
regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Jimmy,
We are meeting with some unfortunate obstacles. The situation as you have probably already been told by the folks at Kilchattan is that the birth or baptismal records for Solomon Livingston were probably in the parish records that were lost. It appears that all the information between 1793 and 1826 I think was in a record book which is now lost. That means his parents Donald Livingston and Agnes Stevenson's marriage record is also probably missing. There is some info from the years 1753 to 1793 but it likely wont help you much. We may be able learn something from the surviving parish records about the Livingstons and the Stevensons that lived in the area but that may be about it.

regards,

Donald
Jill Richmond

Post by Jill Richmond »

Hi Donald,

Yes, Bardrishaig is in the parish of Kilchattan. The Kilchattan church serves Luing and the Kilbrandon church the Isle of Seil. Incidentally, I have just found a Stevenson headstone listed in my Kilchattan book which reads: "Sacred in the memory of Elizabeth Stevenson late Glenfoachin family died January 1817. Erected by her sorrowfull and bereft Husband Capt. J. Campbell 91st Regt. Kilchatten parish who died on the 29th January 1848 in the 79th year of his age. both buried here. Also in memory of his daughters Christina who died 19th January 1888 aged (8)6 and Barbara who died 24th July 1891 aged 75".
91st Regiment = Argylls.

Do you think it possible that Elizabeth could be Agnes's sister?

Regards,
Jill
Jill Richmond
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Jill,
Solomon Livingston was born in the 1820's on the Isle of luing so his mother Agnes Stevenson was presumingly born in the 1790's or somewhere around there.Captain Campbell's wife Elizabeth could have been an aunt or a perhaps a much older sister of his mother Agnes Stevenson. It may be that one of the Donald Mconleas living in 1730 in Kilchattan Parish according to the Campbell of Breadalbane list you located could be an McOnlea ancestor of relative of a McOnlea ancestor of Jimmy`s Donald Livingston family that lived in Kilchattan Parish a few generations later knowing that those McOnleas on the Isle of Luing later called themselves Livingston.

regards,

Donald
Jill Richmond

Post by Jill Richmond »

Hi Donald and Jimmy,

I was sorting out my Livingston file (much needed!) when I came across the following which was posted on the old forum on 4th September 2006 by Scott Macpherson:

"My ggg grandmother was Janet Livingston, which seems to be the same Janet that is in the Birth Records - Ardnamurchan part of the website. it is listed as:

Parents: John McPherson & Janet Livingstone
Place of Birth: Achtennie
Child's Name: Catherine
Date of Birth: 18th Oct 1828.

"My records show my ggg grandparents as John McPherson and Janet Livingston Achateny, who indeed had a daughter Catherine sometime around 1831 according to the 1841 census (the census ages are notoriously inaccurate, so the 1828 date is probably correct). Other children included Alexander, Betsy, Janet, Allan, Hugh, and Solomon, all born in Achateny.

"John and Janet were married in Kilchattan, which leads me to believe they may have come from there too. They had to have some connection at least. Janet's parents were Donald Livingston and Catherine (Dinning?)."

Solomon is such an unusual name, and the fact that there is a Kilchattan connection makes me think that this family must be related to your Solomon, Jimmy, but how I'm not sure. It's a bit like trying to complete a jigsaw puzzle in which several pieces are missing. Anyway I thought it might interest you both.

Regards,
Jill
Jill Richmond
Canadian Livingstone

HI Jill,

Clever deduction. You could be on to something. Seeing as they were married in Kilchattan Parish there could be a Kilchattan Livingston connection and Solomon is not that common a name in Argyllshire. Its just too bad that the parish records are missing for the time when we need them. It would be much easier to sort out Jimmy's genealogy and yours.

regards,
Donald
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

I wonder if Scott Macpherson and Jimmy would have any male Livingstone relatives to test the connection with DNA??

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com