David Livingstone

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Kyle MacLea

Re: David Livingstone

Post by Kyle MacLea »

I wonder if Scott Macpherson and Jimmy would have any male Livingstone relatives to test the connection with DNA??

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Jill,

You mentioned your Livingston family lived for a time in the Balashraig area of Kilchattan Parish. None in that village in the 1841 Census.
1841 Census Kilbrandon and Kilchattan Parish I found Livingstons at Toberonchy, Colipole, Easdale, Balivicar Village, Proinen, Dunmore, Ardnamer, Lockmore, Balichanan,West Ardluing, Ardlarach or Ardlaraik, Black Mill Bay, and Lockbuy. The greatest number were at Colipole where some of the men were working with slate and Toberonchy. There seems to be quite a few that were paupers.
Toberonchy Village
Catharine age 75
John age 25

Duncan Livingston age 60
Isabella age 60
Nancy age 20

Margaret age 60

Colipole Village
Neil age 75 Slate
Sarah age 50
Sarah age 15
Catharine age 60
Margaret age 8
Effy age 6
Jean age 3
Bell age 9 months
NK 1 month
Donald age 6
Nancy age 4
Catharine age 2
NK age 1 month

Post by Jill Richmond »

Hi Donald,

I am afraid that my family left Luing long before the 1841 census. They went across to Craignish some time between 1783 and 1791,and remained there for fifty years or so. Some time I mean to try and research my family further back, but this will not be easy. The farm where they lived on Luing is called Bardrishaig, but how long they were there I do not know - possibly not very long. Tenant farmers in Argyll at that time did not have security of tenure and were always having to move on, and my family was no exception.

Some years ago my late cousin, John Galloway, who was a radiologist at Oban hospital, visited our present chief's father, taking with him a photograph of his and my great grandparents, Duncan Livingston and Betsy Cameron, with some of their children. The late Bachuil was interested in Duncan, saying that he detected a family likeness, and that our family could be a lost line of his family but, if this is so, the parting of the families must be a long way back, and unless a lost relative turns up, there is no chance of any DNA to prove or disprove it. So at present it's a bit of a dead end. Thank you for the interest though.

You say that there are a number of paupers listed on the pages of the 1941 census relating to Luing. I, too, have noticed this in another area of Argyll. The poverty and distress at this time must have been awful.

Regards,
Jill
Jill Richmond
Canadian Livingstone

HI Jill,

Perhaps the DNA tests will identify someday where the Isle of Luing Livingstones originated. Clearly the highland Mconleas were there before 1730, but where they lived before in Western Argyll I can only speculate. We are fortunate that in many cases the parish records survived but sometimes as you well know that is not always the case.

regards,
Donald
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Mention of the McOnleas of Luing, et al, being evicted in 1669:

http://books.google.com/books?id=nuPlAA ... ea&f=false

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Jill,
I was trying to recall the settlements in Kilchattan Parish and remembered this old posting from 2009
Canadian Livingstone wrote:Hi Jill,

You mentioned your Livingston family lived for a time in the Balashraig area of Kilchattan Parish. None in that village in the 1841 Census.
1841 Census Kilbrandon and Kilchattan Parish I found Livingstons at Toberonchy, Colipole, Easdale, Balivicar Village, Proinen, Dunmore, Ardnamer, Lockmore, Balichanan,West Ardluing, Ardlarach or Ardlaraik, Black Mill Bay, and Lockbuy. The greatest number were at Colipole where some of the men were working with slate and Toberonchy. There seems to be quite a few that were paupers.
Toberonchy Village
Catharine age 75
John age 25

Duncan Livingston age 60
Isabella age 60
Nancy age 20

Margaret age 60

Colipole Village
Neil age 75 Slate
Sarah age 50
Sarah age 15
Catharine age 60
Margaret age 8
Effy age 6
Jean age 3
Bell age 9 months
NK 1 month
Donald age 6
Nancy age 4
Catharine age 2
NK age 1 month

Post by jmlivingstone »

I had a look in Scotlands People, the only birth they have for a Solomon, between 1812 & 1854, & is as follows,if anyone requires a copy of the OPR of this birth let me know.

Solomon Livingston, b. 04.06.1820, at Kilninver & Kilmelfort, parents Neil Livingston & Margaret McColl, GROS data 524/000 0020 0090. I think his actual birth was 10.05.1820, the other date was his christening.

Neils occupation was a carpenter, address is listed as *ulich, first letter is unreadable, Scotlands Places has nowhere listed in Argyll that even comes close to this, so it was probably not large enough to be classed even as a village.

I noticed one census, 1821 I think, has Solomon listed as a sailor journeyman, this is probably poor transcription, suspect it should read tailor.

I don't see anything on the census transcripts listing a spouse other than Euphemia Murray, although there is one where Solomon is about 20 years old, & is listed as residing with two women, both shown only as Mrs. Livingstone, the older of the two presumably, is his mother, the other could be his first wife.

John
Canadian Livingstone

Hi John,

In the 1861 Census Solomon Livingston states he was born at TS Ling or something like that. In the 1881 Census he states he was born in KIlbrandon Parish I think it was. I think we agreed at the time that TS Ling refers to "Luing" or the Isle of Luing which was indeed located in Kibrandon or neigbhouring Kilchattan Parish. Some of the baptismal records for Kilbrandon and Kilchattan Parish are missing I noticed for some settlements and for some years so it could be the reason that no Isle of Luing Solomon Livingston record can be found is that it is simply missing. Other Solomon Livingstons may not infact be the one we are looking for. At least from the 1861 and 1881 Census if seems likely he was actually born in Kilbrandon Parish, Kilchattan parish in the Isle of Luing areas slate island area in Western Argyll I am finding that looking through the parish records that there seems to be some entrys for some settlements missing.

regards,

Donald
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Hi Donald/Jimmy,

Just noticed in the old forum, under the topic of ''Tracing Livingstones from Argyllshire to Glasgow'', around ten previous posts from various people on the same Solomon, the original was from a Laura Hughes - Aug. 2007, the last from Bob Brown - Jan. 2009.

Laura supplied some additional info on the family of Solomon,

John
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Jimmy/Donald,

Info from Scotlands People on Solomon;

Solomon first married Catherine MacLachlan at Kilbrandon & Kilchattan, 09 Feb. 1845.

Family - Agnes b. 10 May 1847 Gorbals, Glasgow.

Margaret b. 08 Dec.1850 Barony, Lanarkshire.

Second wife, Euphamia Murray, from Barrhead, sometimes shows as Paisley, they married at Barony, Lanarkshire, 12 Nov. 1854.

Family - Elizabeth b. 01 Feb. 1856 at Milton, Glasgow.

Donald b. 21 Jan. 1858 at Hutchestown, Glasgow.

No luck in finding Donald Livingston & Agnes Stevenson as yet, parents keep showing as Neil Livingstone & Margaret McColl, even in Scotlands People,

John