My Livingston(e) Line

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Canadian Livingstone

Re: My Livingston(e) Line

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Kaye,

Everything looks to be corrected. Note in my copy of the 1851 Census Charles and Dorothy have a niece Jessie living with them and a 16 year old named Donald not Duncan no information stating he is a nephew. Are we to assume that Donald should read Duncan? Can you check your copy of the 1851 Census info again.

This does not change the fact that Donald Livingston and Catherine McDonald are the parents of DUgald and Janet however and clearly the family information from 1841 is clearly your family and that of Gingers. I am no longer confused about that. It is crystal clear with lots of proof that went through which is great. CHecked and double checked and looks to be correct. THanks for that. I had the right family line for Ginger just got mixed up with a neighbouring Laroch family. Wrong Donald from Laroch. Who knew there were two Donalds with sons named Dugald. How confusing can this get.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Ginger and Kaye,
Your cousins.
This is fantastic and really makes what we do here worthwhile. Hope to hear more about the Ballachulish Livingstons in New Zealand.

regards,

Donald
Kaye Saunders

Post by Kaye Saunders »

Canadian Livingstone wrote:Hi Kaye,

Everything looks to be corrected. Note in my copy of the 1851 Census Charles and Dorothy have a niece Jessie living with them and a 16 year old named Donald not Duncan no information stating he is a nephew. Are we to assume that Donald should read Duncan? Can you check your copy of the 1851 Census info again.
No, my transcript says
Dugald Livingston, nephew, 16, labourer - where did Duncan come from? There is a Duncan who is Dugald's son and brother of Donald, Ginger's ancestor.

I've just gone back to the original and while the image was spidery it is Dugald, although if you weren't expecting it to be Dugald you could transcribe it as Donald - there's definitely an "ld" at the end.

These hunts really do keep us on our toes don't they!

Thank goodness it's Friday and it's nearly going home time. It's a wonder I haven't been fired today the amount of family tree stuff I've done during breaks in my work :D

Kaye
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Kaye,

Sorry it was late and I was tired. Sorry Dougald not DUncan. No I meant to say from my census source Ancestry.co.uk it had listed at the Charles Livingston residence in 1851at East Laroch in addition to his family a neiceJessie age 12 and laborer Donald age 16. I was just wondering if that was a mistake and whether it reads Dougald on your copy. I thought it was mistake and should be Dougald but I just wondered if your source had it as Dougald. Obliously you must have Dougald. Donald seemed wrong to me. They probably made a transcription error.

I must apologise the name Kaye did not ring any bells at first. Suddenly this morning at breakfast - ereka- you are the Kaye who worked with Rob Livingston and copied the St. Johns Episcopalian Church records from Ballachulish. I am a great fan of your work and as Ginger will attest it has been very helpful in sorting out the Ballachulish families although mind you I did end up linking Donald Livingston and ANn Stewart to Ginger's Livingstons which turned out to be the wrong Laroch Donald Livingston with a son named Dougald. That was of course my fault. I in fact had information on Dugald Livingston and Catharine McDonald and their 1861 marriage record but I did not way back then have myself set up with Scotlands People and did not access the original document there which would have instantly told me that Dugald Livingston the stone cutter was the son of a Donald Livingston and Catharine McDonald of Ballachuilish not Donald Livingston and Ann Stewart of Ballachulish. I assumed also I was looking for a Donald born around 1838 and Donald and ANn had a son that seemed to be around that age. ANyways nothing like a copy of one those detailed marriage or birth records to make things like this crystal clear. Ginger has been lucky in terms of the records that we have been able to locate regarding her Ballachulish ancestors. And I am grateful that you were able to show me where I was mistaken. I would hate to have given Ginger any incorrect information.

Regarding New Zealand and Australia, I suggested some time back to the society that we try to systematically locate and identify those highland Livingstones that were forced from Western Argyllshire due the clearances of the 1830's 1840's and 1850's and who settled in AUstralia and New Zealand. While I have been working on and encouraging such a project for pioneer Canadian Livingstones I would love to see such an effort being started in regards to Australian and New Zealand Livingstons and Livingstones. It is also my understanding that Mcleas and Macleas also made Australia and New Zealand their home in the 1800's. Anyways as Clan Maclea Livingstone Historian this is an ambitious project that I am hoping will be of interest to our clan members in Australia and New Zealand. This kind of thing will generate much paperwork but I am hoping as in the case of the Canadian project to create a easy to read sumarized spread sheet listing of the essential info including names, origin, importants dates, location of settlement etc that can be accessed at a quick glance. Once these summary sheets are on the way to progressing I am hoping to send copies to Baron Niall Livingstone, our Clan Chief so that he can have an easy reference tool to many of the ancestors of his clan who left Western Argyll so long ago.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Ginger,

I am looking forward to reading Part 2 of your adventures in Lyon, Colorado. Your quest for information on your Livingston ancestor has become a marvelous human interest story. You have a very entertaining writing style and the photos that were included really add to the article. Its great to see so many excellent contributions this time round.
regards,

Donald
beadmom

Post by beadmom »

Kaye,

I would love anything you have for me...and are we cousins or??

Sorry,
still trying to process...Once I get this all on paper correctly I am sure I will understand. (I hope)
Work is a madhouse right now as the 66 yr old boss is getting married on Sunday (HUGE WEDDING) and I am his troubleshooter.....as well as doing all my normal duties.

My email address is beadmom at aol dot com.
I can send you whatever you request and more I suppose :D

Donald. I am going to try and piece together what is correct and have you give me the thumbs up. (or down if I screw it up)

Thanks all,

Ginger
beadmom

Post by beadmom »

OKay....is this correct?

Donald Livingston quarrier Laroch/Ballachulish born abt. 1811 at Laroch/Ballachulish (died before 1846)
Catharine Livingston age 25 (Catharine McDonald of Ballachulish daughter of John and Mary McDonald) died 1846 buried St. Johns Church, Ballachuilish

Known Children
Dugald age 6 (b. abt. 1835 in this census) (your ancestor)
Peter age 4
Janet age 2 (also known as Jessie born May 6, 1839 (baptised May 11, 1839 at St. Johns Episcopalian Church Ballachulish)

1861 Scottish Census Argyllshire
Furnace, Cumlodden Parish, Argyll
Dugald Livingston Ballachulish, Argyll Scotland occupation Stone dresser b. abt. 1837

Dugald Livingston and Catharine McDonald married November 28,1861 Cumlodden Parish, Argyll

Known Children
Donald born May 3,1863 Glasgow as recorded in the Glasgow High Church records
John born March 14,1866 Ballachulish, Appin Parish (St. John's Episcopal Church Records Ballachulish)
Charles born Oct. 10, 1868 Bonawe,Ardchattan Parish
Duncan born abt. 1870/1871 Bonawe,Ardchattan Parish
Dugald born Sept. 11,1873 Ardchattan Parish either in village of Bonawe or Kenacraig
Catharine born abt. 1876 Ardchattan Parish either in village of Bonawe or Kenacraig
James born abt. 1878 Ardchattan Parish either in village of Bonawe or Kenacraig
Mary born abt. 1880 Ardchattan Parish either in village of Bonawe or Kenacraig

Donald Livingston(e) b. May 3,1863-d. June 21, 1916 Lyons, Co –stone carver-Glasgow, Scotland arrived in Castle Garden NY from Liverpool, Great Brittain on April 1, 1884 on the ship “Servia” Mason-South Dakota/Denver
Mary Ann (Lowe) b. Feb 1872 England (Married 22 Dec 1891 Fulton,GA.) d.1926 Lyons, Co
Both buried at Crown Hill, Denver, CO

Known Children
(Catherine) Anna b. Dec 1891, Georgia, USA
Flora J. b. Aug 1893, Georgia, USA
John W. b. Jan 25, 1895, Georgia, USA

John William Livingstone Sr. b. Lathonia, GA 1895 d. Nov 19, 1962
Mabel Florence Nelson b. Sandy, UT 1897 d. Spring 1972

Known Children
John William Livingstone Jr b. April 23, 1922 Los Angeles, CA

John William Livingston Jr. b. April 23, 1922 m. Aug 7, 1942 Reno, NV
Shirley Jo Ellwood b. Jan. 2 1925, Burbank, CA

Known Children
David William Livingston b. Nov 7, 1943, San Gabriel, CA
Marcia Ann Livingston b. Oct 7, 1946

David William Livingston b. Nov 7, 1943
m. June 16, 1961 Las Vegas, NV
Linda Grace Waite b. Dec 18, 1943, Pasadena, CA

Known Children
Ginger Lee Livingston b. Dec 29, 1961, Pasadena, CA (THAT'S ME)
John William Livingston III b. Oct 26, 1969, Pasadena, CA

John William Livingston III b. Oct 26, 1969 m. Oct 16, 1994 San Diego, CA
Cynthia Dawn Day b. Mar 15, 1972, Granada Hills, CA

Known Children
Morgan Rene Livingston b. Nov 11, 1992 San Diego, CA
Steven Kenneth Livingston b. May 9, 1995 Bend, OR
beadmom

Post by beadmom »

Canadian Livingstone wrote:Hi Ginger,

I am looking forward to reading Part 2 of your adventures in Lyon, Colorado. Your quest for information on your Livingston ancestor has become a marvelous human interest story. You have a very entertaining writing style and the photos that were included really add to the article. Its great to see so many excellent contributions this time round.
regards,

Donald
Thanks Donald 8-)
Two things I love...Taking pictures and writing...
okay and scotch and puppies and kitties and donkeys and food and friends and and and...

Ginger
beadmom

Post by beadmom »

Kaye?

Are you the Kaye Saunders listed?

IF so, that would be extra interesting....

Ginger Livingston SANDERS.....
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Ginger,

Looks like youve got the updated ancestral information correction. In addition to learning from Kaye that Dugald's parents were actually Donald Livingston b. abt. 1811 quarrier and his wife Catharine McDonald of Laroch, Ballachulish, we also have learned that when Dugald's parents died in the 1840's, Dugald and his sister Jessie ended up living with his Uncle Charles Livingston and his Aunt Dorothy McColl of East Laroch. So its just another Dugald's actual father turns out to be another Donald Livingston, another quarrier ,another Livingston from Laroch.

I did not have access to the full details of Dougal's 1861 marriage record which if had months ago when I first did your research it would have told me instantly that Dougalds parents were in fact Donald Livingston and Catharine McDonald of Ballachulish and Donald Livingston and Ann Stewart of Ballachulish. Now I do and of course when I checked the full details of the original Dougal marriage record it confirmed that his parents were in DOnald Livingston and Catharine McDonald.

Your information looks good to me. I am glad that Kaye sorted out that error for us. I have now full access to birth and marriage records so that wont likely happen again.

regards,

Donald