My Livingston(e) Line

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
beadmom

My Livingston(e) Line

Post by beadmom »

I would be grateful for any more information on my family. Especially if I have relatives still in Scotland (or anywhere else for that matter). I love to travel, work in renewable energy and would be happy to meet up! I have 7 children, 3 grandchildren, 1 husband, 2 donkeys, 3 goats, 4 dogs, cats, chickens... you get the picture!

Here is what I know.

Me: Ginger Lee Livingston Sanders born in Pasadena, Ca 1961
Brother: John William Lvingston III born in Pasadena, Ca 1969

Father: David William Livingston born in San Gabriel, Ca 1943
Mother: Linda Grace Waite born in Pasadena, Ca 1943

Grandfather: John William Livingston Jr. born in California, 1921

Great-Grandfather John William Livingstone born in GA. 1895 moved to Colorado Springs died 1962
Changed his name (dropped the "e") because the Army dropped it during the war (not sure which war)
Married to Mabel Nelson
His sisters : Flora Livingstone (?), Katherine Livingstone Downes both older and they did NOT change their names.

Great Great-Grandfather: Donald Livingstone Came from Glasgow to the US. became a US citizen in GA moved to Colorado and opened stone quarry around boulder have no dates.

Thanks for anything!

Ginger
Kyle MacLea

Re: My Livingston(e) Line

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Dear Ginger,

Some of our intrepid researchers will no doubt chime in with some research suggestions and/or records they've located. It's fun to look around and see what we can find out!

That being said, if you ever want to know about testing as part of the DNA project. One of your Livingston(e) males would be tested and compared with the other 170+ men we've tested already in the project... several different lines and lots of information we've put together. It can really help, if you're fortunate, to give you some immediate research insight. If you need more info, email or PM me and I'll be happy to send you more info. Our stalwart DNA project Admin, Andrew Lancaster, would also be a great source of info, and some of the other co-admins find their way to the Forum now and then as well.

Great to have you, Ginger! We're looking forward to discovering more about your family!

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Ginger,
Where to start?
I would think the first thing would be to locate your great-great grandfather Donald Livingston and his son John William Livingston born abt. 1895 in Georgia in the 1900 US Census presumingly they would be found in the Georgia census of that year. If so that would give you information on the members of the family ages in 1900, birth dates and the name of Donald Livingston's wife. That would be a good starting point. This census may also state when Donald immigrated to America or arrived in the State of Georgia. That is assuming that he and his family were living in Georgia and not Colorado in the year 1900. I guess you dont know the name of Donald Livingston's wife that would be helpful.

Then the next more challenging stage would be to try and find your ancestor Donald Livingston in the Scottish census records which is my area of expertise but I would suggest you start with locating Donald, his son John William and family in the 1900 Census and get a much info as you can out of that. We have some folks here at the forum who may have access to the 1900 U.S Census and may be able to help locate your family in that census.

regards,
Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Ginger,

At some point it might be useful to locate John William Livingston's marriage record which may list his fathers name and more importantly his mothers maiden name which I assume you dont know at this point in time. Marriage records from the 20th century generally are more detailed listing the names of both parents but earlier marriage information prior to that may not be detailed and may just be brief entries listing the bride and groom, date of marriage and few other helpful details. I would assume that John William Livingston was married in the early 1900's either in Georgia or Colorado but your relatives might know better. Perhaps some of them particularly the older ones might have some idea when in the 1800's Donald arrived in America from Glasgow.

regards,

Donald
Jewel

Post by Jewel »

Hi Ginger,

It sounds like you already have the 1900 census info but here it is.

Lyons Town, Boulder, Colorado: 1900 census

Donald Livingston, B. May 1863 Scotland
Mary A. B. Feb. 1872, Eng.
Anna B. Dec. 1891, Ga.
Flora J. B. Aug. 1893, Ga.
John W. B. Jan 1895, Ga.

Donald immigrated 1886 Ga.
married 10 years
Occ: Paveing cutter
Naturalized.

Unfortunately the 1890 U.S. census was detroyed by fire so was unable to find them in Georgia for that time period.

Jewel
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Jewel,

Ooops! I guess it was Colorado where the family was living in 1900. Thanks for that. That census provides some very useful information on Donald Livingston and family.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Ginger,

I have located your family in Scotland, surprisingly not in Glasgow ,though there is a Glasgow, Lanarkshire connection, but in the County of Argyllshire in the Highlands of Scotland. Your great-great grandfather was born May 3, 1863 in Glasgow, Lanarkshire according the High Church of Glasgow records but his parents Dugald Livingston and Catharine McDonald moved back to Argyll in the highlands of Scotland shortly after their eldest son's Donald's birth and in the 1871 Scottish Census were living in Ardchattan Parish at Bonawe Quarry Cottage No.8. Dugald, Donald's father was employed as a stone dresser as was young Donald also according to the 1881 Census. In 1881 the family are still at Ardchattan Parish, Argyll but living at the village of Kenacraig.This might explain why your ancestor Donald worked with paving stone in America.

Donalds father Dugald b.1839 had left home in Ballachulish and was working as stone dresser at Furnace in Cumlodden Parish, Argyll shire in 1861 and that year he married his wife Catharine McDonald also a native of Ballachulish at Cumlodden Parish. By the 1870's Dugald and Catharine were living at Bonawe in Ardchattan Parish,Argyllshire and a short time later moved to Kenacraig in Ardchattan Parish. After Donald left for America in the 1880's his father Dugald and family remained at Kenacraig. Donalds mother Catharine died sometime between 1881 and 1891 at Kenacraig. I am not sure what happened to Donald's father Dugald after 1891. From the 1891 Census it is apparent he is widower living with some of his children still at Kenacraig. I do not see him at Kenacraig in the 1901 Census however.

Your ancestor Donald was the eldest in his family of Dugald and Catharine Livingston
Donald's family from 1871 Scottish Census
Ardchattan Parish, (Bonawe) Argyll, Scotland "Bonaw Quarry Cottage No. 8"
Dugald age 33 Stone dresser
Catharina age 27
Donald age 7 scholar ****** b. May 3,1863 Glasgow,Lanarkshire Scotland (your ancestor)
John age 5 b. Ballachulish March 14,1866
Charles age 2 b. Ballachulish
Duncan age 6 months b. Ballachulish

Donald's family from the 1881 Scottish Census
Ardchattan Parish,kenacraig Argyll, Scotland
Dugald age 43 born Ballachulish occupation: Stone Dresser
Catharine age 37 born Ballachulish (died March 14,1890) Ardchattan
Donald age 17 1864? Stone Dresser born Glasgow Lanarkshire (this was only Donald that seemed to fit)
Charles age 12 born Ardchattan Parish
Duncan age 10 b. Ardchattan Parish
Dugald age 7 b. Ardchattan Parish
Catharine age5 b. Ardchattan Parish
James age 3 b. Ardchattan Parish
Mary age 9 months b. Ardchattan Parish
(It is not clear from the census records whether the son Charles was born at Ballachulish or in Ardchattan Parish but the family were in Ardchattan by 1871 to be sure. )

1891 Scottish Census
Donald Livington born 1863/1864 in Glasgow Scotland resident of Argyll County is not in the 1891 Census and presumed to be living in America.

1861 Scottish Census
Furnace, Cumlodden Parish, Argyll
Dugald Livingston age 24 born Ballachulish, Argyll Scotland occupation Stone dresser (Donald's father)

Dugald Livingston and Catharine McDonald married November 28,1861 Cumlodden Parish, Argyll
Son Donald born May 3,1863 in Glasgow, Lanarkshire, rest of the family born in Ballachulish in Argyllshire.

This Livingston family apparently of Ballachulish origin lived in the early 1800's at Ballachulish, in Western Argyllshire and they, their kin and neighbours were likely employed in the local quarries as quarrymen, stone cutters, stone dressers, stone miners, stone crackers etc. No doubt the people of Ballachulish would have more knowledge of the local quarries and their history. It follows that Dugalds son Donald son born 1863/1864 would have taken his stone dresser/cutter skills that was in the family and put them to use in America. Coming from a family that had worked in the Slate Quarry of Ballachulish and were skilled stone workers it is significant that you have information that your Donald established a quarry operation in Colorado. There is little doubt this is the same family. Your ancestor Donald Livingston born 1863/1864 may have departed from Glasgow to America and was apparently born in Glasgow but the records indicate he was actually living most of his life in the highlands in Western Argyllshire where highland Livingtones/Livingstons originated. Given the quarry/stone work background of the this family I have little doubt this is your Livingston family group in highland Scotland.
regards,

Donald
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Donald--

Can you refresh my memory?

I think there was a descendant of Ballachulish Livingstons that stopped by the old forum at some point. Could be getting Ginger's family DNA tested as well as this family could definitively prove a connection, if so.

If not, where have I heard of these Livingston/es? I know I've read about this family at some point in the recent past!

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
New Hampshire, USA
Canadian Livingstone

HI Kyle,

I do seem to remember researching a Livingstone with a family around Ballachulish that were connected to a stone quarry. That was a while ago and perhaps recorded in the old forum somewhere. Would be interesting to compare.
The fact that this family i located have three generations in the quarry and stone related business and the fact that they have a Donald born in Glasgow 1864 who found work in America as a paving stone cutter. Too much of a coinicidence. And as we found out many of the Livingstons that reside in Glasgow were of highland origin and went there to find work. IN this case it seems this family got homesick for the highlands and returned to Argyllshire after eldest son Donald born abt. 1864 or 1863 was born.

regards,

Donald
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Of course, some Ballachulish tombstones, marriages, and births, are listed here:

http://www.clanmclea.co.uk/Births_Appin.htm

Ah, and I see we have someone ALREADY in the DNA project who is supposed to be connected to this family and is in the Parker/Livingstone group!

"Livingston 74255 is an Australian family which has been traced back to Balluchulish and Glencoe in the mid-1800s. James Ban Livingston had worked at the slate quarry in Ballachulish and lived in Laroch in Glencoe. He emigrated on the Marco Polo in 1852. It seems he also had a brother named John Ban Livingston in Ballachulish."

(Note that he needs 67 markers to be sure he's in the Parker/Livi* group!)

http://www.reclaimed-treasures.com/rlivingston/dd1.htm

http://books.google.com/books?id=dGA5AA ... ne&f=false

http://www.clanmclea.co.uk/forum/Show-M ... sp?ID=3523

http://www.clanmclea.co.uk/forum/Show-M ... sp?ID=1369

http://www.clanmclea.co.uk/forum/Show-M ... sp?ID=1407

http://www.clanmclea.co.uk/forum/Show-M ... sp?ID=1425

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
New Hampshire, USA