Tips for researching around 1750-1800

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Canadian Livingstone

Re: Tips for researching around 1750-1800

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Allan,

I would have to check with our DNA experts but it is my understanding that a 67 marker with a distance of 1 means at the very least that you and Robert who I assume is the late North American Clan Commissioner Robert Livingston , share an ancestor possibly two or three hundred years ago. My guess is 1600's or 1700's you may have shared an ancestor but I am just guessing. Rob is a match to the Bachuil Livingstones and that is because he is descended from a Bachuil Livingstone from the Island of Lismore that settled in the United States in the 1800's. It is my understanding that if you are 67 marker distance of 1 with a Bachuil Livingstones there it is very likely you are related to this family in relatively recent times.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Allan,

It is unfortunate that Duncan passed away before 1851 as I could have determined his birthplace from the census records. ALl we know is that his wife Catharine or Kate Llivingston was born in Kilninian according the census in one of those villages in Northern Mull no doubt.
Whether Duncan is from Kilninian I assume because Hugh was born there but and his wife was born there but that is not perfect evidence.
regards,

Donald
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

AGLivingstone wrote:I have a 37 marker with genetic distance of -1 to Robert Livingstone.

Its a while since I have looked here, but if I remember correctly it had me matching the Barons line in under 8 generations. Perhaps someone with more understanding of DNA could explain how I could check this information again.
A 36/37 match is extremely close.

There should be I think it's called "DNATip" which is a predictor of how closely related you are to anyone in the database. If you click on the little icon next to any match, it should bring this up I think.

Don't put TOO much trust in this number though. It is only an estimate.

My known cousin and I within 2 generations look much more distant than we actually are, so this can both over and underestimate the distance. I would recommend talking to Andrew Lancaster about the latest opinions on this software. I don't put much trust in it myself.... I just like looking at the marker distance (36/37).

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Allan,

I am sorry for some reason I thought you had done the 67 marker test. Well you are certainly close on the 37 marker test to the Bachul Livingstone family. If you have not done the 67 marker test it might be worth while considering going the next step seeing as you are so close to Robert and the Bachuil Livingstones. My Livingston cousin has done the 67 marker test. Sorry I brain has been a bit clogged up with the flu which I think I have hopefully fought off.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Allan,

Balliachrach and Lephein are very near to each other in Northern Mull if you look at the Thompson Atlas of 1832 in the National Library of Scotland. Alot of the old more obscure villages that Livingstons lived at before massive waves of emigration cleared them in the 1800's are still on this map. There is little doubt in my mind that the Hugh Livingston b. 1811 residing at Lephein in the 1841 Census is the Hugh Livingston b.1811 residing at Balechrach (Balliachrach actually) in the 1851 Census. No doubt about it.

regards,

Donald