Tips for researching around 1750-1800

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
AGLivingstone

Tips for researching around 1750-1800

Post by AGLivingstone »

Hi,

I started researching my tree last year, which was the first time I had looked at any ancestral information. It was a mixture of slow and quick, but ultimately rewarding.

I had researched my tree up to a hugh livingstone c(1808) who married a Marry Macdonald (1822). Hugh had brothers Neil (1811), Duncan 1812, John 1816, Charles 1818 and sister Margaret 1814.

His father died before the next census, but he lived with his mother. It wasnt until I had found Duncans death certificate that I was able to confirm his true father - Duncan Livingstone (c1778). Most of the children were born in Kilninian Argyle, and its possible that Duncan came from Ulva. He married Catherine Mcdonald.

This is really where my work came to end as I was unsure on how you do research beyond this point. My Grandfather, who really had an encyclopedic memory had always stated that we were related to Dr Livingstone, although not directly. I'm sure he said it was an Uncle or something, but I was young when he relayed these stories to me. Thankfully myself and my Aunt remembered enough of these stories and lots of matches were made during our research into some of the people he used to talk about.

On looking through the mull genealogy website I came across this duncan - http://www.mullgenealogy.co.uk/MullSear ... dv_no=1303 who was said to be the son of Neil Livingstone and Mary Morrison. This information was posted from Jeff Fioravanti, who I have never been able to trace to see where this information came from, so I have no idea if this is the same Duncan Livingstone as the one at the top of my tree. The dates and area are certainly close, but I have no real proof on this linkage.

I applied for the DNA test, which proved I was from the same tree as the Barons of Bachuil, but obviously did not say how or where I connect.

I have now started to work on my tree again and was wondering if anyone has any tips on how best to look for information on around 1750-1800.

Thanks for any guidance.

regards

Alan
Livingstone_PEI

Re: Tips for researching around 1750-1800

Post by Livingstone_PEI »

Hi there Allan

I am just wondering where is the locale of your ancestor Duncan Livingstone? As you are likely aware Duncan is a fairly popular name in our family history. I have Duncans in my family history as well, and my grandfather's name was John Duncan Livingstone.

Thanks
Barry
AGLivingstone

Post by AGLivingstone »

I have quite a few Duncans through my tree.

Duncan - Lephein, Isle of Mull, Argyll, Scotland around 1812
Duncan Tobermory Argyllshire 1853
Duncan Tiree Argyll around 1900. Raised in Greenock.
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Allen,

Trying to link your ancestor to Neal Livingston and Mary Morrison's sons is extremely challenging as we really only have detailed family tree info on their son Neal b.1788 at Ulva in the Mull area who was the father of Doctor Livingstone. From Doctor Livingstone's older brother that lived in Listowel Ontario Canada John Livingstone 1811-1899 and few other sources we have name of four or possibly five sons of Neal Livingston and Mary Morrison but it is my understanding that Dr. Livingstone's Uncle Charles died during the Napoleonic Wars and was buried at sea. Apparently Uncle Duncan and possibly an Uncle Donald were also killed during the Napoleonic War at Waterloo. So the only one I myself I am trying to learn more about is was Neil Livingston and Mary Morrison's youngest son John Livingston b.1777 at Lettermore at Mull according to the Kilninian and Kilmore Parish records. I think there are few folks out there who suspect they are related to this John Livingston but I have not seen anything definite as yet unfortunately. I kept a look out for any info on Dr. Livingstones Uncles Donald or Duncan but I now understand one or both of them died also during the Napoleonic War. Also if they had married with family spanning the generations it seems likely we would have heard from the descendants being so closely related to Dr. Livingstone and that does not seem to be case. There are few families apparently trying to establish a connection to Dr. Livingstone's Uncle John but the connection is not too clear to me. I understand however from what you said that you are a close match to the Bachuil Livingstone line and if you go to the Maclea Livingstone Boggs DNA website you will see the the Bachuil Livingstone matches.

I should also tell you there has been actually a DNA test of Dr. David Livingstone's documented and proven great nephew so we can rule out most people in the project including yourself being direct descendants of Neal Livingston and Mary Morrison with a reasonable degree of certainty.

I would like to take a look at your family line and try to see if I can be of any assistance. If you provide me with your ancestral Livingston line generation by generation I will see if there is anything you might have missed. Chances are you have done a superb job on your family research but there might be something I can suggest.

regards,

Donald (Livingstone) Clink
Clan Maclea Livingstone Society
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Allan,

If you would not mind submitting birth info and location on your great grandfather, great-great grandfather I would like to start there if that is ok with you. Thats where I usually start with the Scots.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Allan,

Glad to hear you had some luck with the DNA project in determing a close match to the Bachuil Livingston family. That is a helpful information in determing your Maclea Livingston ancestral origins in Western Argyll.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

HI Allan,

I see a Duncan Livingston born abt. 1853 in Tobermory a boilermaker residing in 1891 at 15 Lauriston Street, Greenock,Renfrewshire
wife Flora, catharine age 14, Mary age 13, John age 11, Duncan age 9, Christina age 8, Jean age 7 Ann age 5 Donald age 1 That was in the 1891 Census. Could not find this Duncan and family in the 1901 Scottish Census

There are two Duncan Livingstons born 1853 at Tobemory in the 1861 Census living at Tobermory. Both are them are fatherless at this point in time.
ONe of them is Duncan son of Mary. HIs mother Mary was born in Ardnamurchan Parish, Argyll.
One of them lives at Braedelbane Street, Tobermory mother is Catharine age 28 born in Tobermory, Duncan age 8, archie age 6 ann age 2, Ewen age 5 months. All born in Tobermory.

Do you have detailed information on your grandparents, great grandparents parents from death records?
I actually like to work backwards from the late 1800's.
regards,

DOnald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Allan,

Ok I dont know that this is your ancestral line but this is what information is available on the Duncan Livingston b. 1852/1853 born at Tobermory that lived at Greenock and was a boilermaker. His wifes name was Flora. THe only record I found from Tobermory circa 1852/1853 states that Duncan Livingston was born 31 October 1852 and baptised Feb.2,1853 parents listed were Archibald Livington and Catharine McLaughlin. 1861 Census of Tobermory confirms that there was widower named Catharine with an eldest child Duncan born abt. 1853. One of Catharines sons was an Archie so that makes sense. Archibald Livingston and Catharine Mclaughlin were married at Tobermory January 6,1852 so this family info fits nicely. The first child of Duncan Livingston and Flora of Greenock is a Catharine so that could fit also.
I would love to see the marriage record of this Duncan Livingston and Flora to see who the parents were. They were apparently born in the 1870's given their eldest daughter was born abt. 1877. That would determine who this Duncan Livingstons parents who lived at Greenock in 1891 were. But I still have to determine if this Duncan and Flora are even related to you but at least sooner or later we can easily either prove or disprove a connection to you.
You state that several of your ancestors were named Duncan are you absolutely certain of that?
regards,

DOnald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Allan,

This is the family line of Duncan Livingston born 1852 at Tobermory Boilermaker of Greenock Renfrewshire circa 1891
Here is this Duncan Livingston's family line
1. Duncan Livingston b.1852 at Tobermory married Flora McInnes January 12, 1874 at Middle or New Parish, Greenock, Renfrew County See Duncan and Flora 1891 Census Greenock, Renfrenshire.
2. Archibald born. abt. 1826 at Tobemory married Catharine McLaughlin at Tobermory January 6,1852 Catharine widow lived at Breadlebane st. 1861 census with son Duncan born 1852/1853
3. Hugh Livingston born abt. 1796 Tobermory married Ann Livingston before 1826? lived at Breadlebane Street according to 1841 Census with son Archibald age 15 b.1826

So this is the only Duncan Livingston I could find at Greenock born around 1852/1853 that had a son Duncan as well and was born at Tobermory.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Allan,

This is the family line of the son of Duncan Livingston born 1852 at Tobermory Boilermaker of Greenock Renfrewshire circa 1891, 1901 Greenock East, Renfrewshire THis is the only Duncan Livingston b.abt. 1852 or 1853 from Tobermory living at Greenock during the 1891 and 1901 period.
Family line of the Tobermory later Greenock Duncan Livingston family according to the Records.

Duncan Livingston b.1853 at Tobermory married Flora McInnes in 1874 at Greenock,Renfrewshire
Duncan Livingston boilermaker and Flora MacInnes are living at 13 Lauriston Street Greenock East in the 1901 Census Flora MacInnes was born abt. 1853
Their family then was:
John born abt. 1881 at Tobermory
Duncan born abt. 1882 at Tobermory (apprentice Boilermaker)
Chistina born abt. 1883 at Greenock
John born abt. 1884 at Greenock
Annie born abt. 1885 at Greenock
Donald born abt 1890 at Greenock
Sarah born abt. 1896 at Greenock
The eldest children not living at home in 1901 Catharine born 1877 at Greenock and Mary b.1878 at Greenock. Duncan and Flora apparently were married at Greenock and returned to Tobemory and then back to Greenock as the birth locations of their children show. So there little doubt this family has a Tobermory and Greenock connection
(Sorry I did not notice son Hugh living next door)
regards,

Donald