Randomly Acquired Information

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Livingstone_PEI

Re: Randomly Acquired Information

Post by Livingstone_PEI »

Another tidbit of information regarding the 62nd is they participated in one of the seiges on Fortress Louisbourg, which could have a direct connection to the Livingstons in Cape Breton. Just a thought. I do know that Fortress Louisbourg has a pretty extensive list of descendents involved in the two sieges and those descendent that were living in the town at the time of the siege. Has anyone looked through any of the information at the Fortress or inquired about the regiments that participated. I have attended both anniversary celebrations of both sieges, but didn't at the time think there might be a connection.

Barry
Livingstone_PEI

Ok.....took some time to do some more digging. Can anyone shed any light on the John Livingston listed here in the 78th's webpage master index? I have sent an email to the 78th to see if they can give me some information on him. Now to wait and see if I get a response. I hope it is in the time period I'm looking for and maybe they may have some real nuggets of information.

If you go through that master index you will see 17 entries of soliers receiving a land grant on St. John's Island (PEI), so this is promising.

http://www.78thfrasers.org/site/content/view/25/50/

Barry
Livingstone_PEI

It would be interesting if we could find this document.....from the index I copied this.

"Petition of Col. Simon Fraser on behalf of himself and officers for land grants, 127, 128; land grants approved, 129; table of locations and descriptions of grants, 130, 131"

Would be curious to see where the Donald and John Livingston grants were, and the descriptions of the grants too.

Barry
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Barry,

The three John Livingstons and one Donald Livingston all served in the 78th until around 1763. What happened to them after the 78th was disbanded I dont know. They may have indeed received land grants in North America. I have information that a Daniel Livingston who settled in Upper Canada in the 1780's from the States also served a private in the 78th though I did not see a Daniel listed. Daniel apparently received a land grant in the 1760's first in Colonial America after completing his service with the 78th. Later as a loyalist he and his sons came up to Upper Canada and received another grant in Upper Canada in the 1780's. It is possible one of the John's born in the 1730's received a land grant in PEI in the 1760's or perhaps later. THe list you mentioned only lists high ranking officers who received land grants in St. Johns island (PEI) I assume in the 1760[s or 1770's. I dont know about land grants received by enlisted men of the 78th after 1763 but given the info on Daniel Livingston I was curious about land grants given to the enlisted men in the 78th particularly Livingstons.

regards.

Donald
Livingstone_PEI

Hi There

Here is muster roll of the 78th for anyone that wants to scroll through it. One Donald and three Johns listed in the list.

http://www.78thfrasers.org/site/content/view/25/50/

Barry
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Hi Donald,

Just came across the 1841 Scotland census, it has the following;

Agnes (Edmiston) Livingstone 40 yrs., Civil Parish; Livingstone, County; West Lothian, Address; Blackburn.

James Livingstone 10 yrs.

John Livingstone 8 yrs.

Gavin Livingstone 6 yrs.

This is certainly James Angus Livingstone b. 1830, over the next 10 years the census manages to age him by 15 years, although I suppose the strange method of rounding ages up or down could account for this discrepancy.

Neil McLean Livingstone was born 26.05.1864, his father was Gavin, mother Catherine (McLean), Gavin, who was b. abt. 04.01.1835, was a son of John & Agnes..

In the 1881 census, Neil is 16 yrs old, occ. Assurance collector, living with his parents.

He married Elizabeth Cooper in Glasgow 1886, more info to come.

Neil & Elizabeth had a son, also called Neil Mclean Livingstone, b. 1899, I believe he died in Paisley about 1941.

Neil who died 1941 would be the brother of Elizabeth, who married a McGibbon, who was a ships stoker, this is one of the family members Keith wrote about a few years ago,

John
Last edited by jmlivingstone on Sun May 29, 2011 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Canadian Livingstone

Hi John,

I wondered where John Livingston was in 1841? Does he appear in the 1851 Census with wife Agnes?

regards,

Donald
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Hi Donald,

John appears in the Islay census for 1851, resident Esknish, with Agnes his wife, & two sons, Gavin 16 & Neil 9, Neil had been confined to bed for around a year, John died 1858 at Tirvagan. I'm going to have a look at some Islay records, see if I can find a date of death for Neil, although, I may be wrongly assuming he died when he was still young,

John
Canadian Livingstone

Hi John,

Your perseverence on your Ross of Mull and Colonsay Livingston family line is commendable. Despite the apparent lack of available information you have been able to make the best of it. It takes a great genealogical sleuth like yourself to locate your ancestors as they migrated in Argyll and later elsewhere in Scotland. The probable family connection between your ancestor old Angus Livingston of Arisaig,Colonsay and Donald Livingston whose sons settled in Grey County, Ontario, Canada in the 1850's is quite interesting.

regards,

Donald
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Hi Donald,

The male side of the family was relatively easy, as the majority of them remained in Scotland, although where Hugh & Duncan finally ended up is still a challenge.

The female side is not so easy, the only one I'm 100% sure of is Ann, who died in Govan Poorhouse. Cirsty has about four alternatives, ranging from marrying Peter McArthur, having a couple of children on Mull, & dying young, to marrying Malcolm McMillan at Uragaig, Colonsay.

Betty, if IGI records are accurate, had her last child at around 54 years old, probably not impossible, but unlikely.

Another two of the daughters, I at present don't have a clue about, one I don't even have a name for, so plenty of work still to go,

John