Randomly Acquired Information

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Canadian Livingstone

Re: Randomly Acquired Information

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi John,

Well it one of those situations where the only tangible info we actually have on your Angus and an approximate age is the 1841 Census which as you have stated may be an inaccurate age as is quite often the case with census record info. While he may not have been born in the 1780's and more like the mid 1770's as you believe I would think a birth date in the 1760's as unlikely. For one thing he would have been getting on in age to enlist as a soldier in the Napoleonic Wars. I would lean towards the notion that at Angus was either born much later than 1775 that the 1841 census suggests or in the 1770's that you believe. There are I am know pretty much certain many baptism and marriage records missing for Livingstons between 1760's and 1780's and I cant find original records for many highland Livingstons from this period. Regarding Angus Livingston we only have slim picking in which to search for Angus from. Angus baptised 1780 of Kilmalie, Argyll, Angus Livingston baptised in 1769 in Argyll and finally Angus Livingston baptised 1769 in Kilninian and Kilmore Parish, Mull, Argyll. There must have been others I am fairly certain.

regards,

Donald
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Hi Donald,

Not had much time recently to do any work on this, these are a few things I did come across;

1. John Livingtone, husband of Agnes Edmiston does not appear in the 1841 census for Livingstone, W.Lothian, Agnes & three of their family do appear, as yet, I have not been able to find John on any census for 1841. He appears again, resident Jura/Colonsay about 1842, then at Esknish, Islay in the 1851 census.

2. The illusive Angus from Mull & Jura, still remains as illusive as ever, I have searched every military record available for info on him, without any luck.

3. Can anyone help with this one, I was looking at Gavin Livingstone in the 1901 census for Falkirk, he is listed as Supt., Livingstonia Home or House, Kerse Lane, Falkirk, I cannot find any info on what this establishment was used for, I'm assuming it could have possible religious connections, given the name.

The nearest I could find on it in Falkirk records was a Livingstonia House, which was demolished some years ago, I also know Livingstonia is a town or region in Malawi, named after Dr. Livingstone, there are extensive records on Malawi, but I can find virtually nothing of interest from Falkirk.

Any info on the what this establishment was used for, would be of interest,

John
Canadian Livingstone

Hi John,
Hope you had a good holiday.
It is a bit of a mystery to be sure regarding Livingstonia House in Falkirk. It was likely referred to as Livingstonia House rather than home I would think.You might try contacting the Falkirk Local History Society. THere is good chance they might have some information on the residents and residences of Kerse Lane in the early 1900's or know of someone who does. Livingstonia as you mentioned is also a town in Malawi, Africa originally established by Scottish missionaries in 1894 but I dont know what if any connection Livingstonia in Africa has to a building on Kerse Lane in Falkirk Scotland or with Gavin Livingston of Falkirk. The town in Africa was named after Dr. Livingstone I presume. I wonder why Gavin's residence or that of other Livingston family members was not just referred to as Livingstone House in the records. Let us know what you find out.

regards,

Donald
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Donald,

Gavin is shown as Superintendent, Livingstonia Home,so it would appear to be his work place, he also appears in later census info, as a lodging house superintendent in Glasgow. So possibly, ths was some sort of lodging house.

I've got the address of the Falkirk Historical Society, I'll contact them tomorrow, see what they come up with.

Holidays were not too bad, spent them working in Egypt, never managed to get home,still in Egypt at present,

John.
Canadian Livingstone

Hi John,

Egypt. A highland Livingstone a long way from home. You have an adventurous spirit no doubt. My best friend and his wife have been to Egypt and loved it. Of course things are a bit tense at the moment. Hope everything is ok with you. Keep in touch. I am sure you will have some interesting stories to tell about your experiences in that ancient part of the world. We have a clan society newletter up and running you know if you would like to contribute an article sometime in the future.

regards,

Donald (Livingstone) Clink
Historian
Clan Maclea Livingstone Society
Canadian Livingstone

Hi John,

I think I know what happened to Angus and Margarets son Jame born abt. 1816 who lived at Jura briefly in 1841. He is the James Livingston who married at Colonsay in 1842 to Mary MacMillan. I also know that this James Livngston and Mary McMillan had their first child born at Colonsay in 1843 and then a short time later ended up in Ontario, Canada where a descendant who has just contacted the forum has info on the family born in Ontario Canada. They first settled apparently in Eldon Township, Victoria County Ontario and then later are in Arthur Township, Wellington North County, Ontario. In the 1871 census James is clearly recorded as age 54 a weaver which would make him born abt. 1817 or 1816 which fits perfectly with the James in the Jura Census. ALso note that a Malcolm McMillan age 25 who is married to Christy and living with Angus and family at Jura. This Malcolm McMillan is the Malcolm Macmillan who married Christy Livingston at Colonsay the previois year 1840 and they have a tiny baby living with Angus Livingston, James Hugh and family at Jura. Perhaps Christy MacmIllan nee Livngston is a daughter of ANgus and sister or James and Hugh. Anyways I think I know what happened to ANgus Livngtons son Hugh. He went to Canada with his wife Mary MacMillan in the 1840's. Almost certain of it and think we have proof of a Macmillan family connection that amazingly shows up in the Angus Livngston 1841 census record at Jura itself.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Debbie and John,
This is what John wrote earlier regarding James Livingston's younger brother Hugh the son of Angus Livingston and his wife Margaret. Hugh we know from the records was Born or baptised at Kilfinichen and Kilvickeon Parish in Mull, Argyllshire 06/06/ 1819. This establishes Angus and Margaret being in Mull at this time and their son Hugh born there circa the early 1800's and I would assume that the older son James was also born in this parish or another in Mull. So if this Hugh Livingston left Scotland for Ontario Canada it would have been presumingly sometime after the 1861 Census.
jmlivingstone wrote:Hi Jewel/Donald,

Thanks for the rapid reply on Hugh & Duncan, although I'm far from convinced the particular Hugh she is looking for is actually the grandson of Angus & Margaret, there are enough discrepancies in ages etc. to make it very doubtful.

What I have on Hugh, the son of Angus & Margaret, is as follows;

1. Born or baptised. 06.06.1819 at Kilfinichen & Kilvickeon, last known address 23,. James St., Calton, Glasgow, disappears after 1861 census. Hugh was employed as a weaving utensil maker.

2. Possibly married to Jane or Jean Shannon, who was born abt. 1820, possibly she came from Fortuilham, Invernesshire. Not too sure of Jane Shannon being correct, I came across this some where, at the moment I cannot track it down again at present.

3. In 1861 census they had three children living at home, Margaret 17 yrs.old, who worked as a dressmaker, Robert 12 yrs.old, & Duncan 3yrs. old. They also had a son Hugh, who died 13.09.1859 at 13 yrs. old.

Thanks Jewel, the info you supplied appears to be the correct family, I'll pass it on to the person who contacted me, to see if she can confirm it.

Donald, if I remember correctly, in the 1861 census of Glasgow, Hughs surname is mispelled as Levingstone,

John.
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Donald,

Kilfinicheon OPR has an unknown Livingstone, baptised 30.09.1814, to Angus & Margaret at Siaba, IsIe of Mull, this almost certainly has to be James. I've also had a look at the Mull Geneology site, there are only 4 or 5 named James born around this time, none of them to an Alexander.

This looks as if it could be Angus, I noticed this on Mull census, this Neil is shown as father of Angus, I still can find no info on Angus military service.

1779 District No : Page No : 81 House No : Locality : Sheabach 17790156

Livingstone Neil 40 Keeper
Livingstone Angus 4 His son
Livingstone Donald 2 His son
His wife, mother and daughters 4.

I hate to admit this, until today, I always assumed Urigaig was on Jura, it was only today I found it was actually on the north west coast of Colonsay, considering I live probably less than 100 miles from Colonsay, it does not say much for my knowledge of Scottish geography,

John.
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Hi Donald,

Cirsty, daughter of Angus & Margaret, married a Peter McArthur, 18.12.1827, when she was about 17, apparently she died quite young in Scotland, I think she was still resident on Mull when she died. Peter married again, I believe twice, he emigrated to Australia with his & Cirstys family. I have more details on exact dates etc, which were supplied by a descendant of Peter in Australia,

John
Canadian Livingstone

Hi John,

Its nice for you to be located so close to Colonsay and Jura. Much closer than many of us to the homeland of Livingston ancestors. Interesting that Urisaig appears to be in Colonsay rather than Jura. I think we can safely assume that Debbies ancestor James Livingston is residing with and related to your ancestor Angus Livingston and wife Margaret at Urisaig, Jura (or Colonsay?) in 1841. I also "assume" that James is the son of Angus and Margaret but he could be a nephew. I guess with census alone one cant be 100 percent certain however it does seem very clear that you and debbies Livingston families were almost certainly related. Certainly we have a breakthrough in your research and Debbies on this Livingston family but obviously there are still a number of pieces still missing in the puzzle. I have to say if Debbie had not contacted the Clan Maclea Livingstone Society forum I would never had known about this James Livingston and Mary Macmillan and their obvious connection to your Angus and Margaret Livingston at Urisaig, Jura. I will see if we can find Hugh born abt. 1819 in the Ontario Canada records after 1861.

regards,

Donald