Randomly Acquired Information

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Canadian Livingstone

Re: Randomly Acquired Information

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi John,

Yes definitely Jewel is right on with that info on that ladie's Livingstone family. No doubt she will appreciate what Jewel has located. I think you are right however about this ladie's Livingston family not be related to your Angus, Margaret and Hugh of Jura.
regards,
Donald
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Hi Donald,

How easy is it to access Canadian military records for around the late 1800's, early 1900's, the person who contacted me said that her Duncan had been in the Black Watch of Canada, which I believe is now a territorial or reserve regiment.

Is it possible for her to access their old records, & can anyone tell me how she should go about it, she has already attempted to get this info, as yet without any luck.

Although I am certain her Hugh/Duncan are not part of my family, I would like to be able to help her out with any info I can gain from this site, that may point her in the right direction.

I will also pass the address for this site to her,

John
Canadian Livingstone

Hi John,

She would be smart to contact the Regimental Archives of the Black Watch Royal Highland Regiment of Canada. That would probably be the best thing to do if her Livingston ancestor was in that regiment in Canada. The Archives of Canada also has military records.

regards,

Donald
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

I came across this on a list of ships in the ports of Banff & Aberdeen in 1881, presumaby listed in a census, hopefully of some use to someone,

Vessel: "Mary Livingstone"

Mal LIVINGSTONE M 38 M I. of Mull, Argyll, Scotland Master
Duncan LIVINGSTONE U 48 M I. of Mull, Argyll, Scotland Cook & A.B. Seaman
John LIVINGSTONE U 17 M I. of Mull, Argyll, Scotland Boy

John
Canadian Livingstone

Hi John,

Thanks for that. It find it interesting when you look the census records from 1851 on the highland origins of Livingstones living throughout Scotland by this time. Certainly the Mull Livingstones have left their mark where ever they settled, be it the lowlands of Scotland or Cape Breton in present day Nova Scotia, Canada. A toast to the Mull Livingstones where ever they might be.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi John,

Interesting that the vessel you mentioned in the previous message was called the Livingstone and the crew was named Livingstone. Assume it was a small vessel and not a large sailing ship.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi John,

I dont know how but I think I may have somehow accidentally erased your last message by mistake. I am very sorry about if that is the case. One way or another it seemed to vanish after posting my last message. I didnt intentionally delete you message but that seems to have happened somehow. I did not press delete which makes it very odd. You mentioned those Shebach Livingston in the 1779 records and I was checking to see exactly where in Mull, Shebach was. Sheba or Shiaba is or was in southern Mull but I dont know if that is what was meant.

Sorry about that,

Donald
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Donald

Sorry, I deleted my last message myself, I was trying to add additional info, I wasn't sure if I could do so or not , anyway, end result was I deleted the message. I had just remembered we had already had a discussion, probably around July 2009, on this census entry.

The moral of this, don't try to work on a computer at around midnight, after consuming a couple or so large malt whiskies

I received the info below earlier yesterday, unfortunately, I deleted the e-mail, then to totally finish it, I emptied the recycle bin, so I now have no idea who sent it to me, they were of the opinion this could be Angus, Chelsea Pensioner who certainly appears to be around the correct age, & to have been resident in the same area.

I don't suppose we will ever be 100% sure if this is the correct Angus or not, isn't it a pity Angus was such a popular name in that area.

I had a look on Google maps for Sheabach, nearest I could get is Shaback, which is on the map as ''Shaback, see Shiaba'', could be census taker wrote the village name as it sounded to him, wouldn't be the first time. Shiaba, which also is an area which Angus & family were resident, also has a variety of spellings.

According to Scotlands Places, Shiaba was a small village of 10 or 12 houses, now derelict, but still showing signs of agiculture having taken place, so possibly it was more of a crofting community than a village.

1779 District No : Page No : 81 House No : Locality : Sheabach 17790156
Livingstone Neil 40 Keeper
Livingstone Angus 4 His son
Livingstone Donald 2 His son
His wife, mother and daughters 4 .

I still have not tracked down any info on the military record of Angus, but I'll keep trying,

John
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Donald,

I had a look at the Mull Genealogy site today, in addition to the info in my last posting, it has the following;

Angus Livingstone, born abt. 1775 at Siaba.

Father; Neil, Mother; Unknown.

Death & Burial; No info.

Marriage; Margaret Hall

Children; Hugh, Ann, John, Betty, Cirsty, Duncan, name unknown, Jane (possibly Janet)

Source; OPR Kilfinichen

I'll have to have a look for this OPR, I certainly have not seen it anywhere as yet. I did see one some time ago for a Neil, who marrried a Katherine, unfortunately, I cannot find it at the moment, anyway, I'm 90% certain it is a different Neil,

John
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Donald,

I suspect the following is the Neil Livingstone that the e-mail I received was talking about, if so, it would require stretching the imagination to make this Neil appear to tie in with Angus (b.1775'ish), even allowing for the census rounding age up to the nearest five years at times.

Although, I suppose as we do not have an actual date or place of birth for Angus (b.1775'ish), & Mull Genealogy has the same info posted, it's just about possible they could be correct. I'm still far from convinced the Neil below is the correct person, something II woud be happy to be proved wrong about.

To Neil & Katharine Livingstone a son Angus born 12/06/1769, village is not readable,Isle of Mull.

John