Donald David Livingstone iv

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Jewel

Re: Donald David Livingstone iv

Post by Jewel »

Hello Donald,

Yes , it is a great picture isn't it. I'm glad I could share it with the forum. Yes Cassie is a relative but don't ask me how. My Livingstone family from Cape Breton was huge!! Casie also took a picture of the Actual flag that was saved by Donald Livingstone. It is in a frame at the museum blood stains and all. Thanks Kyle for doing this.

Jewel
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Jewel,

Do you know much about Cassie Livington? Roberta said she was from Sydney, Nova Scotia and was around in 1917.When did she die? When do you think the photos were taken and how did you end up with it?

regards,

Donald
Jewel

Post by Jewel »

Hello Donald,

Cassie Livingstone was a teacher in Sydney,Nova Scotia. This picture was taken in the 1940's on one of Cassie Livingstones many trips to Scotland. The letter states that Cassie Livingstone was a distant cousin of my grandmother, Matilda (Livingstone) Brown. It also says that Cassie's maternal & paternal grandparents had come from the Western Isles, the Hebrides. She came across this painting in a museum in Edinburgh on one of her trips and with or without the permission of the curator took the picture.

This information was written in a letter to my Uncle Harvey Brown, brother of my father,(Thomas Hiram Brown) sons of (Matilda Livingstone) Brown, on March 1, 1987. The leltter was written by Mary (Livingstone) . who was also a cousin of my father and Uncle Harvey. My Uncle Harvey Brown (my fathers brother) had written to Mary (Livingstone) Egan asking for pictures, and such things from the Livingstone family. My Uncle Harvey who had come to Chicago as did my father from Sydney, Nova Scotia to find work inthe early 1920's. Uncle Harvey had started to put a family history together and after his death his daughter had passed copies of thsi information on to me.

I have to leave for work now but if I find anymore information will get back to you later.

Jewel
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Good day Donald;

Daniel Livingstone b. April 4, 1864 and died age 92, Dec. 23, 1956. Widowed. Born in Whycocomagh son of John Livingstone. Port Hood and Jane Livingstone of P.E.I, Informant Cassie Livingstone, daughter. 150 Whitney Ave., Sydney.
Buried Hardwood Hill, Sydney. Daniel was a Construction Superintendant for the Dominion Steel Co. and last worked 1931.
Cassie, as described, by her cousin; Mary Livingstone Egan: whose husband Dr. William Egan compiled a family list in the form of a tree, in the early 40's. I refer to this information often. Getting back to Cassie; she never married and was listed in the McAlpine Directory of 1917 as a teacher. According to cousin Mary Egan, Cassie made frequent trips to Scotland. After all, she was a teacher and had summers-off.
According to the Cape breton directory of 1918. Cassie was a teacher at Eastmount School House. There are people in here who are all ready dead for at least 7 years, oh well.

Regards;

Roberta
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Roberta,

Its great that Cassie Livingston has left future Livingstons with a great treasure. She obviously shared our obscession with this great Clan. I always find it interesting how dedicated Livingstons are to their clan.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Kyle,

If you go to the National Library of Scotland Map site and find the Northern Argyll map in the old 1832 Thompson Atlas you will find Ballachulish in Ballachulish Parish and nearby Lettermore in Duror Parish and you even see old Road to Glencoe there. You can get a sense where Lettermore and Duror Parish is in relation ot Ballachulish and Ballachulish Parish. Quite close. Those birth records you located for Donald and Annie's children from 1886 with Duror Parish on them and one birth record with Lettermore writien on it made me realize their Benvear House where they resided was actually within Duror Parish along Glencoe Road and closer to Lettermore than Ballachulish although they were nearby to Ballachulish. Glad we figured that out because of course I had been naturally looking Donald David's family in nearby Ballachulish. The Duror Parish was the clue for me that they were actually located closer to Lettermore than Ballachulish though Donald David understood that they lived at Ballachulish.

regards.

Donald
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Canadian Livingstone wrote:If you go to the National Library of Scotland Map site and find the Northern Argyll map in the old 1832 Thompson Atlas you will find Ballachulish in Ballachulish Parish and nearby Lettermore in Duror Parish and you even see old Road to Glencoe there. You can get a sense where Lettermore and Duror Parish is in relation ot Ballachulish and Ballachulish Parish. Quite close.
Indeed, those old maps are very useful!

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Kyle,

This whole area Lettermore-Ballachulish-Glencoe has some terrific scenery as does the entire Maclea Livingstone ancestral area.

regards,

Donald
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

The table tomb Donald Livingstone of Morvern erected for his parents, resurrected from the old Gallery:

http://www.clanlivingstone.info/copperm ... m=14&pos=2

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Kyle,

Thanks for that.

regards,