Donald David Livingstone iv

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Canadian Livingstone

Re: Donald David Livingstone iv

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Roberta,
Bingo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You deserve the Maclea Livingstone medal of honour. This is amazing work on your part. And I have to say it proves that I was almost certainly correct in my research of Donald David Livingstons ancestors. As it progressed there were some important details that became clearer thanks to Kyle and yourself, but I am certain that the ancestral line I established from the beginning is still correct based upon the census and other records.

Just to recap here is his ancestral line as far back as go. Remember I am limited due to the fact that the Census records begin at 1841 and the Morvern Parish records only goes as far back as the early 1800's regretably. The point to understand about Donald David Livingston's family is that his grandfather was born in the Lettermore/Ballachulish vicinity in Argyllshire, but the census and birth records clearly indicate that his great-grandfather was actually born in Keil, Movern and that his great-great grandfather also a Donald Livingston b.1796 and his wife Sarah maiden name also Livington lived in Savary, Morvern prior to that where the famous Jacobite Donald Livingston 1728-1816 of the Rebellion of 1745 lived. The Donald`s are almost certainly named after the famous Donald Livingston hero of the Battle of Culloden and one time resident and hotel keeper at Savary Morvern for many years. Indeed as old Donald of Savary died in 1816 at Savary there is little doubt that Donald David`s great great grandfather Donald Livingston born abt. 1796 knew him well living in the area. Contrary to what I said earlier, there is no proof that Donald b. 1796 or 1794 was descended from the famous Donald Livingstone of Savary Morvern though interestingly it does appear that his wife Sarah was a grandaughter of the famous Savary Hero of 1746 battle at Culloden through her father Adam Livingston the miller. SO one way or another this family line is indeed connected to the famous Savary Morvern Livingston family just not as I originally suggested.

Getting back to Donald David`s family tree ,the thing to understand is that Donald David`s great-grandfather left Morvern Parish probably in the late 1870's for the Ballachulish area where he found work. For some reason he went to Glasgow briefly where he met his wife Glasgow born Annie McLean not Macleod and they wed there in January of 1886. Then he took Annie back to the Lettermore/Ballachulish area where apparently lived in a house along the old Glencoe Road, and where he was employed as a joiner. Donald David's grandfather was their first born and he arrived in December of 1886. Here then is Donald David's family line as far back as I go:
1. Donald Livingston and Catharine McInnis
2. Donald Livingston b.abt. 1796 b. Morvern Parish married Sarah maiden name Livingston about 1841? Savary, Morvern Parish,Argyllshire
3. Donald Livingston b.Sept. 13,1856 Keil, Morvern Parish married Annie McLean of Glasgow January 5, 1886 in Glasgow,Lanarkshire
4.Donald Livingston b.Dec. 6,1886 Lettermore/in former Duror Parish, Benvear House,Argyllshire not far from Ballachulish d.1950 Calgary, Alberta m. Jeannie Currie b.1883 d.1963 Calgary, Alberta marriage date not found in Scotland
5. Donald David Livingston b. 1922
6.Donald David Livingstone of Alberta

I would definitely say that the Donald Livingston b.December 6,1886 in the Lettermore area,in former Duror Parish nearby to Ballachulish in Argyll, Scotland is the Donald David Livingston b. 1886 who is buried in that cemetery in Calgary with his wife Jeannie. I have no doubt.The birth date from the Calgary cemetery stone and the date that Kyle and I located in the records matches perfectly. This has to be the right family I have located in the census records.

Thanks for you help on this one Roberta. You have enabled us to prove with very little doubt that this is Donald David Livingston's family in Scotland. Outstanding work.

regards,

Donald
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hi Donald;

Thank you, Donald. I really like finding pertinent information, especially when it doesn't cost anything. Also, I just added to the Land Petition list. Looks like Malcolm had a son Allan. Allan 1791, requested land in Merigomish.

Is it okay that when I find other lands, requested or granted; for Livingstones: that I just add them via the edit option?

Regards;

Roberta
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Roberta,

Yes indeed he had a son Allan and a few others. Some of them show up in the 1838 census in Arasaig Township, Antigonish County around the Livingston`s Cove area or something like that. I have check my Maritime Livingston sheet. There is a widow listed in that census I think it was Mary. THat might have been his wife. I am not sure.

regards,
Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Donald David,
Please note that we have established linkage between the census material I went through and a cemetery record which are Maclea Livingstone Society researcher Roberta Livingstone found at a Calgary Alberta cemetery which I think proves beyond doubt the birth date in 1886 for your grandfather and that I have found the right family in the census records. This was collaborative efforts with the kind assistance of our Clan Commissioner Kyle Maclea and a special effort of Roberta Livingstone who found that your grandfather Donald David Livingston was infact born in 1886 as was the Donald Livingston I found born in the Lettermore Ballachullish area on December 6, 1886 son of Donald Livingston b.1856 and his wife Annie McLean also born abt. 1856 or 1857. The scottish records all indicate she was Annie McLean not McLeod.

According to Roberta`s findings your grandfather Donald D. Livingston 1886-1950 is buried at Queens Park Cemetery in Calgary, Alberta with his wife Jeannie Livingston 1883-1963. I could not locate a marriage record for them in Scotland but it may be there somewhere. Regardless we have pretty much located your ancestors in the Scottish records I am certain. You may want to consider participating our Genealogical DNA Maclea Livingstone Project as you may be a match for the some of the Livingston families that have already been tested. Perhaps we can establish through testing whether you are related to Baron Livingstone, Dr Livingstone or another Livingstones that resided in the Movern and Mull area in Western Argyllshire?

regards,

Donald
Jewel

Post by Jewel »

Hello,

Just wanted to compliment Donald, Kyle and especially Roberta for finding the cemetery record. What a great team we have here!! Nothing more satisfying for a researcher to see all the work fall into place. Bravo to you all.

Jewel
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Roberta Ann wrote:Is it okay that when I find other lands, requested or granted; for Livingstones: that I just add them via the edit option?
Absolutely. If it's something big, you might add a note at the end that you added some names.

Thanks!

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Canadian Livingstone wrote:You may want to consider participating our Genealogical DNA Maclea Livingstone Project as you may be a match for the some of the Livingston families that have already been tested. Perhaps we can establish through testing whether you are related to Baron Livingstone, Dr Livingstone, the famous Donald Livingston of Savary, Morvern or many other Livingstones. Something perhaps to consider.
Yes it seems likely we could link then the Donald who saved the Appin Regiment standard with other famous or less famous lines within the Clan! We would love to have your participation, Donald!

Let us know if you have any questions about that!

And allow me to echo Jewel's admiration for the work that Donald and Roberta put in in particular! Bravo!

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Kyle and Donald,

Quite right Kyle.
There have been some important additions in information on the family lately.
I believe from the information in the records now for example that DOna ld and ANnie lived in the 1880's and 1890's into the next century near the village of Lettermore along old Glen Coe Road at Ben Vheir House in Duror Parish. Lettermore is a mile or so from the village of Ballachulish which was situated in Ballachulish Parish. In a number of records they refer to the family at Benvear House or Benview but it is actually Ben Vheir. There is a Benview house today but it is not in the same location as this one was. So it is probably more accurate according to the records to say they lived in the Lettermore are near Ballachulish. I would like to ask the locals why they would spell it Benvear and if they know about a Benvear house or cottage.

Please note Donald and Kyle, that I made revisions in my original information postings with some new, updated and additional info on the page one of the posting and elsewhere so as not to confuse anyone. One thing I now realize from looking at the 1891 Census and the birth records is that it looks Donald and Annie and family were probably closer Lettermore than the neighbouring village of Ballachulish and that is why in the 1891 census and in the birth records they were listed as being in Duror Parish rather than Ballachulish Parish. Lettermore in what was old Duror Parish and that Ballachulish in Ballachulish Parish is right beside Lettermore but upon closer inspection I know realize that Donald and ANnie children's births were recorded as taking place in Duror Parish. I dont know however whether Donald b.1886 was baptised in Duror or in adjacent Ballachulish Parish. I just have his birth record.

regards,

Donald
Jewel

Post by Jewel »

Wow, this is really somethng!! I'm very excited for all of you. It reminded me to pull out a picture of a painting that I have of Donald Livingstone showing the Clan Colours to the widow of the Clan Chief. You've probablly all seen it, but it would be of special value to see for Donald David Livingstone IV, if he doesn't have a copy already.

Jewel
Canadian Livingstone

Hi All,

As an update, Donald David's great -great grandfather lived to be an old man in Morvern Parish probably on his small tenant holding in Keil where the family had lived for 3 decades after leaving Savary. He was both an agricultural laborer and dyke builder in his lifetime. In the 1871 census Donald in his seventies is still living at Keil with his wife and children including his youngest Donald who is 14 going on 15. Donald great-great grandfather married late in life his wife Sarah Livingston around 1840 or 1841 probably in Morvern Parish and the first child Catharine was born about 1842. Donald is not listed in the 1881 Census and presumingly died sometime between 1871 or 1881 possibly at Keil in Morvern Parish. There therefore a possibility that Donald David's great great grandfather is buried in Keil cemetery. Perhaps we can check that out. Sarah Livingston his widow is regretably living as an pauper domestic servant in 1881 with two of her daughters in nearby Lochaline in Morvern Parish. Although it states in the census records that Sarah was born abt. 1816 she was probably born in 1815. The Morvern Parish Records indicate that a Sarah Livingston of Savary daughter of Adam and Mary Livingston was baptised August 13,1815. Sarah I suspect died in the 1880's at Lochline, Morvern Parish and may also be buried in Keil Cemetery. I certainly would like to check out the possibility that Donald David's ancestors are buried in old Keil Cemetery along with other Livingstons from Savary and Keil.

regards,

Donald