Livingston/e Settlers-Canada&United States

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Roberta Ann

Livingston/e Settlers-Canada&United States

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hi All Members and Guests;

Flora b.c. 1803. From Isle of Mull, Argyll. d/o John L. and Catherine Campbell; to Inverness Co., N.S. with parents and settled later Mull River. Married MacDonald.

John ca. 1773-1840. Mull to Port Hood District, Inverness County, N.S. 1803. Settled Mull River, 1824, weaver. Married Catherine Campbell. Children-John Jr., Neil, Flora, Grace. Born in N.S. Ann, Mary, Allan.

Neil died 1855. From Mull; s/o John and Catherine Campbell. To Inverness Co., 1803. Settled Mull River. Married Ann, d/o Donald and Betsy Cameron. Children Catherine b. 1854, Neil b. 1856, Allan.

Donald I don't understand, if Neil died in 1855; then how could he father children in 1856? Source MP ii 243.

More later....
Last edited by Roberta Ann on Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roberta Ann

Re: Livingston/e Settlers-Canada&United States

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hi Donald;

I found Catherine Livingstone age 19 of Mull River d/o John & Catherine married James Adams widower age 41 of Mabou s/o John & Mary Adams. Married February 1869.
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

....Settlers

Donald, from Dull Parish, Perthshire to Montreal, Quebec on the Ship Curlew via Greenock July 21, 1818. Settled, probably, Beckwith Township, Lanark Co., Ontario. Wife Janet with him and children Ann age 13, Margaret age 12 and Catherine age 7.

Well, I researched this family and found them in a Census 1820, 1821 in Goulbourn Township, Lanark Co, Ontario.

Whilst Goulbourn borders Beckwith Township; this is, clearly, where this family settled and not Beckwith Twshp.

John, probably from Mull, Argyll to Queens Co., PEI before 1806. Wife Isabel McGregor, with him. Children - Ann b. July 17,
1806, Dugald b. July 30, 1809, Hector b. Mar. 30, 1811, Duncan b. April 2, 1813. Source DC 11 April 1981.
Last edited by Roberta Ann on Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

...settlers

John Jr. 1800-48. From Mull, Argyll; to Inverness Co., N.S. 1803. Settled, later, Mull River; married Kate Livingston 1808-1912, PEI. Children: Duncan b. 1841, Mary b. 1844, John 1847-1904, Catherine b. 1847, Jane 1849-69, Hugh 1851-1943, Flora 1853-1922. MP ii 241.

Catherine b.c. 1789 from Caliach, Kilmore; Mull to Hudson Bay and Red River before 1815. Wife of Charles Campbell. RRS 24.

Catherine ca. 1786 - Oct. 16, 1874 from Argyll to Ontario and d. Lucknow, Kinross Twp., Bruce C., widow of Duncan Graham and Mother of Mary, Kate, Alexander, Donald, Duncan, Christie. SG xxvi/3 92.
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

....settlers

Donald with wife Isobel McCuag and children John, Duncan; Islay, Argyll. Emigrated 1739. Settled in New York State. Land grant Washington County 1764.

Donald age 55 with his wife Mary 50. Children Duncan 33, Isabel 22, Catherine 22, Flora 17, Alexander 15, Margaret 1 1/2. From Mull via Tobormory to PEI 1806 on the Ship Rambler of Leith, master James Norris.

Donald 25 with wife Flora 24 and son Malcolm age 2 weeks; Mull via Tobormory to PEI on the Ship Rambler, master James Norris.

John b. Jan. 27, 1684 s/o William Livingstone and Bessie Guidall. Customs Collector in Aberdeen. Merchant in Virginia.

William b. Nov. 18, 1682 s/o William Livingstone and Bessie Guidall. Customs Collector in Aberdeen. Merchant in Virginia.

James emigrated from Scotland to the U.S. in 1738. Settled in New York State.
Last edited by Roberta Ann on Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

....settlers

Robert, youngest son of Reverend John Livingstone; Minister of Arcum, born Dec. 13, 1654 at Acrum, Roxburghshire, Scotland to Charlestown, New England in 1673, settled in Albany, New York during 1673. Received patent of land on the Hudson River in 1686.

Robert, emigrated from Scotland to Albany, New York in 1687. Mayor of New York from 1710 - 1719.

John, emigrated from Scotland to Virginia before 1735, Vestryman in the Parish of Stratton Major, King and Queen County, Virginia.

Margaret age 32. Emigrated from Oban, Argyllshire to PEI on the Ship Spencer of Newcastle. Sept. 1806, Master F. Brown.

John age 20, emigrated from Mull via Tobormory on the Brig Humphreys July 1806. Master J. Young.
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Roberta,

Thanks for that treasure trove of information. Some of those families and info I am familiar with from my own research but we shall go through it and look through it all.

Regarding John Livingston 1773-1840. That should be Old Kate's father in law that settled at Mull River with his wife Catharine Campbell in 1824. Old Kate;s husband John Livingston Jr. was born either 1800 or 1808 at Penmore, Mull and died in 1860. The old livingston lady that lived on Livingston Mountain at Mull River was John's daughter in law. She lived to be over a hundred and died in 1912 I think it was. Some of that info you may notice however mixes up the Port Hood family of the John Livingston and Isabella McDonald that settled in 1805 in the Judique/Port Hood area with John Livingston and Catharine or Mary Campbell of Mull River. and I dont agree with the children that was listed by that source for john of Mull River. How that came about was that there were two John Livingstons living in Mulll around the same time and one had the children mentioned the other one I favour was living at Penmore Mull. I prefer John Livingston and Catharine Campbell as the family that settled at Mull River in 1824 because they had several sons including John, Alexander and Colin and I have a copy of letter from officials in Mull dated 1821 stating that John Livingston and Catharine Campbell were leaving Mull for Nova Scotia. And there children's baptismal records end at 1821 which would be a wierd coincidence if they did not go to Nova Scotia in 1821 and few years later settle in Cape Breton. This researcher however from which this information you have was sourced has a different spin on John's Kilninian, Mull origins I dont agree with.

Interestingly, Jewel has found in her Cape Breton historical Society information that a John LIvingston of S.E Mabou( probably John Livingson seniors son) was recorded as being a squatter in 1854. This must be why Dr. St. Clair could not find a deed for this land. Perhaps John Sr. and Jr never formally went to the trouble of purchasing it and the government with so much land to deal with never bothered to pursue the issue.

No there is no connection between John Livington and Isabella McDonald who settled at Judique in 1805 and whose family lived at nearby Port Hood and the John Livingston Sr. and Catharine Campbell and family who settled at Mull River years later in 1824. They both lived in Inverness County and that is about it. Someone who wrote that info some years seems to think the Judique/Port Hood Livingstons and the Mull RIver Livingstons are the same family or elses it was miscopied from notes which also may be possible. THat is the only problem with a family index or even published family histories. Once they are published it would very difficult to correct errors. At least with this forum I can easily correct and edit my mistakes.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

HI Roberta,

Yes that Catharine age 19 is John Livingston Jr. and old Kate's daughter. There is always some confusion because JOhn's father and mother were also a John Livingston and Catharine Campbell though some more recent researcher has referred to JOhn's mother as Mary Campbell I believe that is wrong.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Roberta,
Regarding your question.
There are some inconsistencies with that information. I am aware of it and am working around it at this point. I can give you as much as I know about that family to provide some futher clarity if you like regarding the Cape Breton families mentioned. I just really am familiar with the names of those who originally settled in the area as I have focused my efforts of collection information on the pioneer families and the first generation. Beyond that often others fill me in second generation families

Somewhere for example it states that John Livingston b. 1800 died in 1848. This is Old Kates husband but this is wrong because her youngest son was born in the 1850's. He was according Dr. St. Clair the last one to live on the old farm at Mull RIver. That also verifies the notion that John Livington Jr. died about 1860 and not 1848. John Livington Jr. and old Kate's son died in the 1940's I was told. He is listed in the census records. I forget his name. I could look it up.So someone did not get their facts straight.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

HI Roberta,

Regarding Robert Livingston son of Rev John Livington of Ancrum, Scotland, (Later Holland) in this information you sent today, you also mentioned earlier in your Edinburgh Apprentice records you found of the same Rev. John Livingston's son James being an apprentice in the 1670's I think it was. A number of participants in our Maclea Livingstone DNA project are descended from this Robert and John LIvingston you might be interested to know of the lowland Callendar Livingston family.

regards,
Donald