Livingston/e Settlers-Canada&United States

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Roberta Ann

Re: Livingston/e Settlers-Canada&United States

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hi Donald;

Malcolm Livingston s/o Duncan Livingston and Catherine Morrison died August 25, 1955. Residence at time of death; Lake Ainslie. Age 73 yrs. 3 mons. 13 days. Single. Birth date-May 12, 1882. Informant: Catherine MacLean, Orangedale-Sister.

Is this the last child of Duncan and Old Kate with whom you referred?

I borrowed this book by Donald Whyte, A Dictionary of Scottish Emigrants to Canada before Confederation. Toronto: Ontario Genealogical Society, Volume 1, 1986. Is it the John 1773 and Isabell McDonald whom you are questioning. I have another source that disagrees with Mr. Whyte.

Regards;

Roberta
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Thanks for all of that, Roberta! Great work!
Roberta Ann wrote:Donald I don't understand, if Neil died in 1855; then how could he father children in 1856? Source MP ii 243.
Of course, no artificial reproductive technologies then, so it of course does still work if time <=9 months, but of course beyond that, something's gotta give! :?

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hi Donald;

John P. Livingstone born 1773 in Fort William, Scotland and died in Little Judique, Inverness Co. John married Isabel MacDonald. Isabel was born c. 1780 in the Isle of Eigg, Scotland and died in Little Judique.John settled, first, at Livingstones Cove, Cape George, Antigonish County and later settled in Little Judique, Inverness County. John emigrated in the 1790s. He came to Little Judique in 1803 where he acquired 400 acres of land from Captian Hugh Watts. He then married Isabel and lived in Little Judique as a weaver.

Referece: History of Antigonish.

Children to follow....
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Continued...Isabel was the daughter of Angus MacDonald, Eigg.

Children:

Mary married John MacDonald b. Judique Banks.
Sarah born Little Judique and died Low Point married Rory MacDonald born Low Point and died on Low Point. No children.
Malcolm b.c. 1803 Little Judique and died Little Judique.
Anne b.c. 1805 Little Judique and died Little Judique.
Margaret b.c. 1814 Little Judique.
Catherine b.c. 1817 Little Judique and died Rear Judique.

Regards;

Roberta
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

continued...

Malcolm married Flora Ann Cameron. Flora was born c. 1811, Scotland. Flora's obit was published in the Casket March 8, 1900. Flora left behind 3 sons and 4 daughters.

Children:
Captain Allan b. 1833, Little Judique.
John b.c. 1830 Little Judique and died age 95 in 1925. Informant Alexander-son-Harbourview. John is buried in Port Hood.
Angus b. 1837, Little Judique and died 1847.
Mary b. 1841 died Jan 25, 1929 at Little Judique. married John MacDonald b. c. 1800 Judique Banks.

Reference page 395 in "Fair is the Place". The 1881 Census showes a Catherine MacDonald b. 1832 and Isabel MacDonald b. 1842, living with Mary and Alexander MacInnis indicatinag that they could have been sisters....
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

continued....

Christy b. 1844 Little Judique died 1917, single.
Jane b. March 13, 1845 Little Judique. Never married.
Isabel b. 1846, Little Judique. Never married.
Donald b.c. 1850, Little Judique and died about 1890. Married Mary MacIsaac d/o John MacIsaac and Janet MacDonald. Mary was born in Glencoe, Inverness Co., and died Feb. 7, 1908 in Little Judique.
Colin b. 1852, Little Judique. Never married.

Regards;

Roberta
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Roberta,

Donald Whyte's books of Scottish Canadian records are really a collection of records and information from other sources actually he has located. He did a terrific job of collecting all that information on Scottish Canadians but he obviously could not check or verify the accuracy of thousands of entries for errors nor do I imagine he did. That being said I have found it useful, but there are regretably some descrepancies and errors in the Livingston info, likely no fault of his. Yes I found them very helpful. I noticed there was a volume 1 and 2.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Roberta,
See some of my old Forum postings on the Old Kate and the Mull River/Whycocomagh Livingstons of Cape Breton.
Actually old Kate's youngest was Hugh born in the 1850's he was a farmer and the last to leave Mull River.

These census records are a good example of how one can never entirely trust the age info given on census records completely

1881 Census Glencoe District, Inverness County, Nova Scotia
Old Kate's family
Dougal Adams age 24 farmer b. NS son in law
Flora Adams age 25 b NS daughter
Catharine Adams age 1 NS
Ann Livingston age 26 NS daughter
Catharine Livingston widow age 65 PEI
Hugh Livingston age 30 farmer b.NS son
Mary Livingston age 32 daughter

1901 Census Glencoe Sub District Inverness Countyy, Nova Scotia
Head: Hugh Livingstone b. March 1855
sister Mary Livingstone b. June 1850
mother Kate b.1814

1911 Census Inverness county East Poll district
Catharine Livingstone April 1807 ( I think 1807 was the year she was born) She died in 1912
Mary Livingstone b. June 1845
Hugh Livingstone b. March 1859
I should take a look at what birth date Dr. St. Clair stated for Hugh. I think he knew Hugh when he was a boy.

Notice the variance in the numbers.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Roberta,
The DOnald and Mary Livingston and family aboard the Rambler to PEI in 1806 you found in the records were the Livingstons that settled at Nine Mile Creek. Lot 65 in Queens County, PEI. One of their descendants has been tested and is my cousins closest DNA match.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Mary Ann,

Thanks for that.
Building upon the foundations of Dr. St. Clair's extensive Mabou research we have been trying to some mysteries regarding the Mull RIver and Whycocomagh Livingstons and we seem to have achieved a possible breakthrough.
regards,

Donald