A Canadian Connection to the Barons of Bachuil

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Canadian Livingstone

A Canadian Connection to the Barons of Bachuil

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hello All,
We have in previous forum postings from the old forum informative discussions about Bachuil Livingstones whom settled in the United States in the mid 1800's. Some months ago however I noticed that Steve Wilson in his meticulous research of the Bachuil Livingstone family tree had noted that one son of a 19th century Baron of Bachuil had settled in Canada.
Sometime before 1870 Dugald Livingstone 1835-1881, the youngest son of Baron Coll Livingston b. 1773 and his wife Mary Carmichael, left Scotland and eventually settled at Point Edward, Lambton County, Ontario where he married Mary Boyd on May 22, 1870. Port Edward is near to the town of Sarnia in Lambton County in the Province of Ontario, Canada. As there were three sons John Boyd Livingston b.April 19,1873, Coll Alexander Livingston b. March 20,1880 and Dugald Livingtone b.1881,it is possible that grandsons or great-grandsons of this Livingston line still reside in the Port Edward or Sarnia area. A check of earlier area census records may pinpoint precisely when Dugald arrived in Ontario.

regards,

Donald
Roberta Ann

Re: A Canadian Connection to the Barons of Bachuil

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hi Donald;

Could this be them?

1881 Census West Middlesex, Ontario: Page 51, District 168.
Neil 36
Janet 22
Dugald 25
Duncan 21
Alexander 1
Margaret 60
Sarah Sinclair 8

Next.......
Lampton, Pointe Edward
Dugald 45 Store Keeper
Mary 43
Mary 9
John? 7
Flora 6 Sarah 6
Coll 2
all born in Scotland

Difficult to read!!!!

Regards;

Roberta
Canadian Livingstone

HI Roberta,

It is the second family you listed with Dugald as the householder at Pointe Edward. According to Belden's Historical Atlas of Lambton County published in 1880, Dugald Livingston came to Lambton County in 1877 but actually he is listed in the 1871 Ontario Census as a merchant of Scottish origin age 34 living in Sarnia Township which makes sense if he was married in Sarnia Township, Lambton County a year earlier in 1870. He is in the Scottish Census of 1841 listed at BAchuil, Island of Lismore with his fathter Baron Coll Livingstone and his family. I believe he left the Island of Lismore in the 1840's.

He is listed in the Atlas as being a Grocer, provision merchant of Crockery and glassware at Port Edward near the town of Sarnia in Sarnia Township, Lambton County. In 1878 he became a Reeve of Sarnia Township and also was a Deputy Reeve for a time.

Dugald is included in the 1841 Scottish Census residing with his Father and Mother Baron Coll Livingstone and his wife Mary.
Coll Livingstone age 60 at Bachuil, Island of Lismore Baron Livingstone
Mary Livingstone age 40
Alexander age 20 (future Baron)
John age 20
Duncan age 15
Mary age 14
Neil age 10
Colin age 10
Coll age 8
Dugald age 6

It is interesting to note that Dugald's older brother Coll born abt. 1832 or 1833 settled at Sparta, Randolf County, Illinois, USA in the 1850's. Also at Sparta was his Bachuil Livingstone cousin Alexander 1827-1859 son of Alexander Livingston and Dorothy McGlasshen.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Roberta,

I think the children of Dugald and Mary were likely born in Canada seeing as Dugald was married in 1870 in Lambton County and he is recorded in the 1871 Ontario Census in Lambton County also likely in Sarnia Township.

The 1901 Census lists Dugald's widow Mary as being born Jan 12, 1846
remaining children:
Mary b. October 16, 1871
John b. April 19,1873
Sarah b.April 7,1877
Coll b.March 27,1880
Point Edward Village

I have no idea what happened to them after 1901 as I cant find them in the 1911 Canadian Census. I wonder where they went. Perhaps the States?
regards,

Donald
Jewel

Post by Jewel »

Hello Donald ,

I took a look at the 1911 Canadian census for this family,

1911 Point Edward, Lambton County, Ontario

Mary Livingston b. January 1838 (Head)
Mary Livingston b. October, 1871 (daughter)

I couldn't find any listing in the 1911 census for Canada, for Coll, John or Dugald.

Also checked the U.S. census for this family for 1910 and couldn't find them.

Jewel
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Jewel,

It is a mystery however I will make some enquiries.

regards,

Donald
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hi Donald;

I found this enlistment:

Daniel Livingston age 38 and looks like 4 or 10months - 5'6 born Argyllshire, 1879. Next of Kin: Dugald Livingston, father, 59 Laoon Farm, Ballachuilish East. Slate Maker. Daniel served in the 93rd. (A&S) Highlanders - 15 months.
Daniel enlisted Sept. 22, 1915 at Victoria, British Columbia.

Regards;

Roberta
Last edited by Roberta Ann on Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Roberta,
Pre Christmas greetings.
I have been following with great interest the info on WW 1 Canadian Soldiers who were of highland Livingston origin. Obviously the Livingston family contributed greatly and in some cases sacrificed their lives for a war which the Royal families of Europe should never have started in the first place seeing as they were all grandchildren of Queen Victoria and cousins. If any war can be called stupid WW1 takes the cake. So many young men killed in France for nothing following senseless orders under the slaughtering machine gun fire of the Germans.

Of all the enemy troops the Canadian soldiers were the most respected by the German officers who grew to respect them as tough and formidable opponents and who in the end at Vimy Ridge were able to break out of the endless stalement of trench warfare and take on the Germans in their well defended positions. There are alot of interesting stories about how the Canadians and Germans soldiers would have the odd truce particulary at Christmas time and exchange pleasantries. This was of course officially not tolerated by those in command but it did happen. As the two sides spent months in the trenches and suffered together in the dreadful trench conditions there grew I suspect a sense of comradery between soldiers of both sides. I suspect many German and Austrian soldiers were as happy as the British and their Allies to see the end of war and had no love for what they had to endure and what they were ordered to inflict upon others. Perhaps with one exception a young Corporal at that time named Adolf Hitler. One of the greatest books written regarding the futility of that War and war in general was "Alls Quiet on the Western Front" was written by a German. Not surprisingly when Hitler as leader of Germany started to ban books in Nazi Germany in the 1930's that was one of the books he forbade the German people to read. As you can imagine an anti-war book written by a German did not go down well with the Nazis. Many German writers and artists were compelled to leave Germany before the War in a political climate where freedom of speech and thought were not tolerated. The Nazis apparently had a hang up with modern art as well.

Pacificts in Germany who opposed conscription into the German Army during WWII or who opposed the War for religious reasons were treated rather badly. I once the knew the son of a German pacifist and I understand that they were forced to clean toilets in concentration or labor camps by the Nazis. Others of course suffered a far worse fate. Sometimes one has to pay a terrible price in the struggle for freedom and justice. Something to remember when we sit down to a Christmas dinner with our families that alot of people whom we will never know their names in their own way gave their lives so we could enjoy our Christmas dinner.

regards,

Donald
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hi Donald;

Merry Christmas to you and to all our Livingstone relatives and friends.

Yes, I remember reading about death of the Archduke Ferdinand being the ignition that started this foolish and expensive war. Didn't each side just run out of money? Anyway, you mentioned the sacrifices of our Livingstons; Donald there are many more who enlisted and were not killed. There is a treasure trove of information on the enlistment papers and I was wondering if I should, also, list these Livingston/es. What do you think? Do you think there is enough interest, after all; most of these guys were born just before 1900. The thing is that they give next of kin, addresses and other valuable information. For instance: William Levingston b. July 1, 1890, Portodown, Orward, Ireland. He spent 2 years with the Irish Fusiliers. William enlisted in Toronto, Nov. 11, 1914. Height 5'4. Next of kin Joseph L. Levingston - Hamilton, Ontario. This name of Joseph is crossed out and replaced by Mrs. John Levingstone, 22 Morneview, Portodown, County Armagh, Scotland.

Regards;

Roberta
Last edited by Roberta Ann on Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Roberta,

Sounds like a lot of work. Go ahead if you think you can manage it time wise. I know with the holidays coming up you are probably getting busy so perhaps you may want to leave it till after the holiday season. I glad I have you here because I wanted to go over with you the info on John Livingston and his wife Isabel McDonald that settled at Judique. I have some conflicting info so I wanted to compare the biographical information that has been published on him with the any info you and Jewel found in those early petitions. I noticed the history states that he first arrived at Cape George In Antigonish County, Nova Scotia and then took up settlement at Judique in Cape Breton. Now that may actually may make sense because apparently Judique in Cape Breton and Cape George in Nova Scotia are just separated by a Bay and the people were in close proximity to other Also the Cape George/Arisaig Township area in ANtigonish County had a large Catholic population as did Judique so there was apparently family connections among these communities. I thought perhaps Malcolm and his family that settled at Cape George was Roman Catholic but actually the 1881 Census indicates that his descendants still living at Cape George in 1881 are Presbyterians living in a largely Roman Catholic community. Still Malcolm could be related to the JOhn Livingston who lived at Judique as some suppose. One of his sons was named Angus and the other Malcolm so perhaps he was related to the earlier settler Malcolm Livingston who settled first in Pictou County and then later at Cape George, Antigonish County.

It is some of the settlement dates for John Livingston of Judique that I am having trouble sorting out so I thought we could look any information we can extract from the original land records regarding settlement dates and then compare them with information in any historical books. I am first of all trying to determine an accurate date for when John first arrived at Judique and or received a grant for his land there. I will tell you what I have found out and we compare notes or something like that. It is only John Livingston of JUdique I am having conflicting info with. If I could get you to go back to the Nova Scotia, PEI section for this one I would appreciate that as the Society likes me to stick to the topic areas in my messages.

regards,

Donald