Possible connection to the Livingston's of New York

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
jmlivingstone

Re: Possible connection to the Livingston's of New York

Post by jmlivingstone »

Greg,

I think it was on Ancestry, I'm busy at the moment, but will check later, & get back to you asap,

John
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Greg and John,
Its great that so many folks are sharing their ancestral info as in the end it benefits so many others working on their own family research.
Ok this family is starting come back to me with this info that John found. I think you mentioned your Livingston ancestors some time ago. So many Livingston families to try and remember. So they all left Jefferson, Alleghany County , PA sometime after the 1850 Census and we know that John D. and his wife Sarah died in Shelby, Missouri in the 1860's and 1870's. Also William W seems to disappear from the Jefferson, Alleghany County Pennsylvania records after the 1850 Census and so I guess he ends up in Missouri also. A look at the Jefferson land records might at least determine how long they were there and perhaps where they lived before that. I have myself found land records to be sometimes quite helpful in determing who and when settled where.

regards,

Donald
Greg Livingston

Post by Greg Livingston »

That's correct, Donald. William W. died in 1862 in the Shelby area of MO. I've just been taking a quick, free look at Ancestry.com and that does look like where John got the information. I'll have to sit down with my VP of finances (wife) to see when she'll let me join them for about 6 months. I would be one of those that would forget to cancel the free subscription in time and end up with trouble on the home front. lol I'm going to give my Uncle, who is 6 or 8 years younger than me, a call and see if he is willing to dig into the land records. He lives near Phillidelphia, Pennsylvannia, so it is much easier for him to contact the correct areas.
Greg Livingston
Clan Commissioner
Ankeny, Iowa, USA
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Greg,
Sounds like a good idea. Hopefully there are indexed land records somewhere in Alleghany County or the township office that would be of some help to your research. I am quite curious about the origins of your Livingstons in America. Yes these ancestral data bases are a wonderous tool for the family researcher but some of them are a bit pricey indeed. You have to also consider the frequency of use to determine whether it is worth your while.

W.W. is I think recorded as "Levingston" in the 1860 in Missouri and appears to have remarried by 1860 if I have right one.
W.W. Levingston age 50 (This I assume was his last census before he died)
Jane age 48
Hannah age 15
Jefferson, Monroe County, Missouri
Florida Post office
Hannah was indeed one of his daughters in Pennsylvania. The rest of William Livingston's children are elsewhere. You mentioned he died in 1862 so I guess the family were not long in Monroe County, Missouri so there may not be much info there for you. Always worth checking all the various spellings when searching for the Livingston ancestors. Every once in a while I come across the "Levingston" spelling.

regards,

Donald
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Greg,

Any info you want from Ancestry, let me know, no point in two of us subscribing, I'm happy to research anything you want, census info etc., just let me know, & I will do my best to get the info for you,

John
Greg Livingston

Thank you, John. I am going to do the 14 day trial and then cancel. That will give me a lot of information to go through and I'll be able to let you know what I need more detail on later. I might just come back later and join for 6 months so that I can work all of my grandparents through the lists. I did get a LOT of hints today when I started out, just didn't get into the details yet.

I can see that this is going to be a busy summer with working on the house, setting up for 5 highland games, and working on genealogy. :shock:
Greg Livingston
Clan Commissioner
Ankeny, Iowa, USA
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Greg,

Ok I see the rest of William's children in the 1860 U.S Census are at Shelby County, Missouri I think living with family of oldtimers James and Sarah Carothers also of Pennsylvania originally. The location in Shelby County is Salt River Walkersville. I think Walkersville rings a bell or two. See the family tree John located from Ancestry.com and it mentions that William W's mother Sarah Forsythe remarried after the death of her husband James D.Livingston to James Carothers. I think this might be that family then. If I understand correctly from the info that John located in the family tree ,William's children recorded in this 1860 census are residing with their grandmother and her second husband James Carothers.
James Carothers age 71 born Pennsylvania
Sarah Carothers age 70 born abt. 1790 formerly Mrs. James D. Livingston (maiden name Forsythe)
Andrew Carothers age 26
Sarah Jane Carothers age 12
Joseph Carothers age 51
Joseph Livington age 27
James Livingston age 28
Lucy Livingston age 20
William Livingston age 17

regards,

Donald
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Kyle,
More pieces in the Greg Livingston ancestral puzzle from Kyle. Just had a chance to look at the first site you mentioned. This is great.
The first site on the Missouri Carothers indicates that Sarah Forsythe Livingston and her second husband james Carothers were residing in Alleghany County Pennsylvania near Pittsburg and by the 1830's were in Missouri eventually settling in Shelby County. So now we know that Sarah Livingston Forsythe (Mrs James Carothers) was in Missouri and Shelby County firstly and her Livingston kin apparently arrived in the 1850's.

regards,

Donald
Greg Livingston

Kyle,
Great links! Thank you. The first three fill in some of the informational blanks on Sarah Forsyth and James D. It now looks very certain that James died in 1812/13 and it would appear during military service in War of 1812. The fourth link is an old post of Pat Chapman's. We correspond on facebook. I think she's past that point now but at the same place we are. The last one is going to wait until I have a clear 2 weeks to get on Ancestry and dig into it. That will have to be some time in June since this month is already booked.

Still looking for James D's elusive birth location and parents. Oh well, I'll get there at some point.
Greg Livingston
Clan Commissioner
Ankeny, Iowa, USA