McLeas, Macleays, Maclays and others

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Canadian Livingstone

McLeas, Macleays, Maclays and others

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Areas for further research of 17th,18th,19th century McLeas, Macleas, Macleays, Maclays, Mclays and McClays (A good Atlas of Scotland or Ordnance Survey Maps would be helpful) This is a work in progress. An attempt to sort out the Macleas, Macleays, McLays for future study. This is study of spelling variation and location of Mclea settlement in lowland Scotland primarily. In some cases the spelling variation may not be too significant as the family may have gone with more than one spelling from time to time, I do think however that becoming familiar with various Mclea related spellings as they occurs in various lowland localities among certain family groups might prove helpful in the future in locating ones Mclea ancestors in the records.

Families organized by Spelling Variation and Location from 1840's 1850's and 1860's Scottish Census records.
McLea
Rothesay,Bute Group 1 (Clan Commissioner Kyle MacLea connected to Rothesay,Bute McLeas)
Kilmory,Bute
Kilfinan,Argyll (Home of the last Baron McLea of Lindsaig.His son Duncan is said to have settled at Rothesay,Bute)
Dunoon,Argyll
Lochgilphead,Argyll (Only one or two McLeas in these Eastern Argyll parishes in 1800's)

Barvas,Ross and Cromarty Group 2
Applecross,Ross and Cromarty
Gairloch,Ross and Cromarty
Resolis,Ross and Cromarty
Kiltearn,Ross and Cromarty
Rosemarkie,Ross and Cromarty

Kinloss,Morayshire Group 3
Speymouth,Morayshire

Cullen,Banffshire Group 4
Keith,Banffshire

Maclea
Rothesay,Bute Group 1

Applecross,Ross and Cromarty Group 2
Lochcarron,Ross and Cromarty
Lochs,Ross and Cromarty
Fodderty,Ross and Cromarty
Avoch,Ross and Cromarty
Alness,Ross and Cromarty
Stornoway,Ross and Cromarty

Tongue,Sutherland Group 3

Macleay
Contin, Ross and Cromarty Group 1 (Great McLea of old Appin Argyll family lived at Achilty Loch, Contin Parish)
Dingwall, Ross and Cromarty (Macleays, Maclays,Macleas, McLeas, Mclays of Ross and Cromarty likely related)
Urray, Ross and Cromarty
Barvas,Ross and Cromarty
Killearnan, Ross and Cromarty
Gairloch, Ross and Cromarty
Lochbroom,Ross and Cromarty
Knockbain,Ross and Cromarty
Avoch,Ross and Cromarty .
Applecross, Ross and Cromarty
Fort Rose, Ross and Cromarty
Fodderty, Ross and Cromarty
Kilmuir Easter, Ross and Cromarty
Urquart,Ross and Cromarty
Lochcarron,Ross and Cromarty

Creig,Sutherland Group 2 (Sutherland Macleays likely connected to Ross and Cromarty Macleays)
Dornock,Sutherland

Maclay
Dewars,Clackmanshire Group 1
Alloa,Clackmanshire
Tillicoutry,Clackmanshire

Urqhart,Ross and Cromarty Group 2
Kiltearn,Ross and Cromarty
Rosskeen,Ross and Cromarty
Nigg,Ross and Cromarty
DIngwall,Ross and Cromarty

Loth,Sutherland Group 3 (Likely connected to Sutherland and Ross and Cromarty MacLeay family)

McLay
Rothesay, Bute Group 1
Kilmory, Isle of Arran, Bute

Alloa,Clackmanshire Group 2
Allangrang.Clackmanshire
Clackmannan,Clackmanshire

Contin,Ross and Cromarty Group 3
Tillicoutry,Ross and Cromarty
Kemmay,Ross and Cromarty
Poolwe,Ross and Cromarty
Uriaf,Ross and Cromarty

Balfron,Stirlingshire Group 4 (Stirlingshire Maclays likely connected to those in neighbouring Clackmanshire Group 2)
Kilsyth
Falkirk
St.Ninians
South Broomage
Strathbane
Kippen
KiIlearn (See 1740 Reverend McLea's Mclea History. This family has a Killearn and Balfron, Stirlingshire Connection)
Killean
Polmont
Airth

Some Mclays are of 19th century Irish origin in lowland Scotland according to Scottish census Group 5 (see McClays below)

McClay
Lanarkshire 19th century Predominately of Irish origin according to the 19th century Scotish Census records but may be connected to Scottish McLay families that settled in Ireland in the 1600's for example at Donegal and what is today Northern Ireland.
Jewel

Re: McLeas, Macleays, Maclays and others

Post by Jewel »

Hello Donald,

I was just flipping through some of the census records on the Cape Breton Historical Society and saw 4 or 5 McLeay famiies listed in the 1841 census for Ross & Cromarty , Barvas district. If you think they might be of interest let me know and I will post them.

Jewel
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Jewel,

Kyle sent me some information that a John Mclea from Forres Parish in Morayshire settled in the 1780's in Nova Scotia, West side of the CLyde River Lots 67-68 near Shelburne and the head of the Argyle River.I had noted that there were a small group of Mcleas residing in various parts of Morayshire. Evidently they were Morayshire before 1800.

That message is at this point basically a note to myself as I can edit and work on it. Part of something Mclea related that starting thinking and working on last year. I am focusing on determining earlier origin points than where they later settled in the lowlands looking for work in the 1800's. There are so Mcleas etc. spread all over Scotland I am trying to sort out the main groups through the census record available and through some of the work written on Macleas/Macleays. From time to time I confer with Kyle and others of the Maclea, McLay world who have done extensive research on there family group seeing if any of my research makes any sense. THough I dont spend nearly as much time as I would like on McLeas as I do on Livingstones I have done some Maclea related research and am interested in Kyle's own McLea family research.

regards,

Donald
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hi Donald;

1852 - Boston to Halifax R.M.S. Canada - R. McLea.

1852 - for Austrailia Brig. Sebin - Wm. Ley wife and 4 children

F/Sgt. J.McLea RCAF - killed WW11. Halifax.

Rev. J. B. McLea - St. John's, Nfld MS Tiger - Jan. to March 1872.

John B. McLea, St. John's, Nfld. Auxiliary Bible Society - 1864

Kenneth McLea, Jr. Conception Bay Church Society - 1864

Kenneth John McLea b. 1804 of Greenock s/o Kenneth McLea b. Sept. 16, 1755 d. Mar. 18, 1838 and Jean McVicar, married Elizabeth Brine b. 1809 - Sept. 12, 1829 in St. John's, Nfld. d/o John Brine b. 1732 in St. John's.

Children of Kenneth McLea and Jean McVicar

Archibald, Duncan, Angus Daniel, Jean, Kenneth of St. John's, Nfld., John, Neil and Catherine of St. John's.

Children of Kenneth and Elizabeth

Kenneth John McLea b. Jule 14, 1830
Elizabeth Jean McLea b. Dec.17,1831
Jane Catherine McLea b. Sept. 4, 1833
John Brine McLea b. Jan. 29, 1835
Christine Harriet McLea b. NOv. 23, 1836
James Stewart McLea b. May 11, 1838
Robert Paton McLea b. Jan. 22, 1841

All the children were born and christined in St. John's, Newfoundland

Regards;

Roberta
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hi Donald;

Here are some McLeas who worked for Lloyd's of London - Captains Registers (Guildhall Library Ms 18567)

McLea, James b. County Down 1833 C11427 Belfast 1859 vol. 10 1859-1868

McLea, Robert b. Rothesay, Bute 1817 S43363vol. 19 1873; vol.22 1874-1875; vol. 37 no voyages listed

McLea, Robert b. County Down 1836 C88475 Belfast 1863 vol. 10 1864-1870

There are several McLays from Glasgow and Grangemouth.
Archibald 1869
Clement Porter 1877
James 1871
John Laird 1827
Peter 1825

Keeper of Manuscripts, Guildhall Library, Copyright City of London Corporation

Regards;

Roberta
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Roberta,

By the 1800's Macleas and those of other spelling variants of this name were widely distributed throughout part of lowland Scotland and by this time in United States, Australia and a few in Canada. That being said I have been looking at their ancestral distribution in specific localities in lowland Scotland. THose in Western Argyll of the highland Maclea groups connected to the Lismore Chief Baron Duncan Mclea (Maconlea) ,father of Baron John Livingstone ,became Livingstones/Livingstons by the mid 1700's and in the 19th century census records for the most part show up in Western Argyll as highland Livingstones or Livingstons. My primary focus here is with the 19th century descendants of lowland based Mcleas that did not become Livingstones. These Macleay etc famllies that remained in certain areas for many years I am trying to identify and study their localities and make sense of them.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi All,

See updates to my Mclea, Maclea, Macleay, Maclay posting. It is a work in progress.

regards,

Donald
Jewel

Post by Jewel »

Ross & Cromarty, Barvis District: 1841

McLEAY
House #
221, Margaret, 80, Cotter,Lower Barvis

249, Angus 55, small tenant,Upper Shadder
Ann 60
Roderick, 20
Henrietta,20
Donald, 15
Kenneth,12

318, Donald, 30, small tenant, Lower Shadder
Marrion,30
Margaret, 9
Angus ,7
Janet, 4
Ann, 2

266, John 55, small tenant Upper Shadder
Margaret, 44
John, 20
Christine, 15
Janet, 12
Malcolm, 8
Catherine, 6

257, Kenneth, 40, small tenant Upper Shadder
May, 30
Donald, 10
Catherine, 8
Allan 4,

275, John 40, small tenant Upper Shadder
Ann, 40
Allan, 18
George, 15
Henrietta,12
Donald, 8
John, 3
Christian, 1

268, George, 25, agricultural Labourer, Upper Shadder
Catherine, 25
John, 3 mo.
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Jewel,

Thanks for that.

regards,

Donald
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hi Donald;

August 15, 1917
Robert Milford McLay, soldier, born Cross Creek, New Brunswick. Age 23 s/o John and ...McLay married Hilda Misner, age 19 d/o Stanley and Phoebe Misner of Campbellton, N.B.

The registration of his marriage names him McClay. So he wants that corrected.

According to a declaration of Robert Milford McLay, dated at Halifax June 2, 1954. He is the person married on August 15, 1917 at Dartmouth to Hilda Marie Misner.

He declares that the surname of the Groom, as stated; on the record is McClay. He further declares that the correst spelling of the Groom is McLay, as established by a Birth Certificate on the file with the Certificate # 18-02-520126.

Regards;

Roberta