1857 Griffith's Valuation: Some Names

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Kyle MacLea

Re: 1857 Griffith's Valuation: Some Names

Post by Kyle MacLea »

True that McLean should not be related. We do have at least one gentleman in the DNA project whose name was changed from McLea-->McLean at some point, and this did occasionally happen in the lowlands, and, I suspect, also in Ireland. Worth cataloging if the records are there and keeping an eye open, but of course 99.999% of McLeans will not be related.

As for McCauley/similar, my own family is the only one in our DNA project to have connections with McCauleys. I suspect that this is a corruption of my McLea family name that occurred in Ireland with men who took that name to Ireland long ago. That is just my theory though. And I agree that a relationship to OTHER McLea families has not been borne out in our Project, or in the records, thus far!

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
Michael McKinley

Post by Michael McKinley »

Hi Donald,

I've followed the discussion of your McKinley research. Unfortunately I'm stuck in 1785 in Donegal and given the availability (or lack thereof) of Irish records, I don't think its very likely I'll make it back to Scotland. But I do keep it catalogued away in the event it becomes relevant for me. I have quite a bit of research on some of the McKinley "strongholds" in Donegal, particularly around Clondahorky starting in the late 1700s if that would be of interest to you. The other two areas they seem to appear in larger concentrations are Raphoe and Inishowen.

Interesting about the McLean name. While I was aware there were other sources of McLeans (ie Duart etc.) I'd always included it in my searches because in addition to DNA matches with MacLeay and Livingstone, I have two 6 marker matches with McLeans at 67 markers.

Perhaps I should start a topic in the DNA section for this next query, but has anyone else gotten a large number of McRae matches recently? In the last couple of months I have 7 at 25 and 4 at 67.

Cheers,

Michael
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Michael,

Fortunately my earlier postings on McKinley were September 11th and September 12th 2009 on the new Forum so should be easy to access. There are two schools of thought regarding a connection to our Mcleas and so made an attempt to try to better familrize myself with McKinleys location in the 19th century census records. Generally MckInleys and Mcleas dont show up together in so much in Scotland but do in Bute which is interesting. Some of them even married each other and I have cited an early example of that. We just cant find any early connection to McLeas whereas we can trace McLeas through their stages from McDunleibe to McDunlieve to McDunlea to McOnlea to Mclea. McKinley as far back as I go in the Scottish records is McKinley or McKinlay. I dont see this name evolution coming into play in the Mckinlay or MckInlay areas. I spent alot of time on this one hoping that I could find the missing link as it were that would prove that McKinlays were really McLeays but the evidence at least in Scotland suggests otherwise. I did give it my best try.

Interesting though that in Ireland you have both McCLays and McKinleys in Donegal. I came up with that same situation in Bute which made we want to check out a possible connection. I notice in some literature on the family it has been stated they are rooted with a Finlay and not a Kinlay. Not sure how they ended up with Kinlay then. I think the notion was that the k was some sort of anglicizing of Finlay or I suppose Macleay. Something like that. Who knows. Anyways that must have been the explanation of some McKinleys in Scotland as to the origin of their name.

regards,

Donald
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Canadian Livingstone wrote: family it has been stated they are rooted with a Finlay and not a Kinlay. Not sure how they ended up with Kinlay then. I think the notion was that the k was some sort of anglicizing of Finlay or I suppose Macleay. Something like that. Who knows. Anyways that must have been the explanation of some McKinleys in Scotland as to the origin of their name.
I think this a linguistic evolution of the sort that took Mac Dunsleve and created Mac Lea. The "dun" and the "v" had to go away, which I have been told is completely reasonable. First the "v" was lost, and then the "d", leaving "on", and then later losing that too. I think a similar thing is possible with Finley, given that is coming directly after the "C" of the "Mc."

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
New Hampshire, USA
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Kyle and Michael,

It is interesting that a McLean is a close match to McKinleys and Livingstons. It would be interesting to compare the results of other MacLeans if they have a DNA project.

regards,

Donald
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

I believe we just found another McLean match in the project, but again--99.9999% of McLeans do not appear to be related. A LOT of them have tested, and very few have shown up as matches in our project....

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
New Hampshire, USA