1857 Griffith's Valuation: Some Names

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Kyle MacLea

1857 Griffith's Valuation: Some Names

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Michael McKinley writes:
Attached are two spreadsheets, one detailing McClea tenants in Donegal and the second detailing McClean and McLean tenants from the Griffith's Surveys for Donegal, Northern Ireland which were done in 1857 and 1858. The original material as well as the ordinance maps can be found at the link below.

http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith- ... /index.xml

The Griffith's survey only gives the information about the immediate landlord, and in some cases tenants would sub lease to other sub tenants. However, I've only compiled the tenant information so far, at some point I plan to create another document showing the instances where they were landlords.

I'm finishing the McKinley and Boggs Donegal tenant lists. Then I may start to look at the County Londonderry tenant lists.
Thanks, Michael!

ftp://kitenet.net/pub/home/kyle/1857_Gr ... McLean.pdf
ftp://kitenet.net/pub/home/kyle/1857_Gr ... McClea.pdf

He also writes:
I saved them to a Ledger size PDF as well, thinking a single page might be easier to view online, though its probably harder to print.
Here is that entry:

ftp://kitenet.net/pub/home/kyle/1857_Gr ... Ledger.pdf

Kyle=
Canadian Livingstone

Re: 1857 Griffith's Valuation: Some Names

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Kyle,

Thats great that Michael is doing that. In addition to the Griffith Valuations there are the earlier Tithe Records from around the 1830's that also may include Donegal McClay/McLay tenants.

regards,

Donald
Michael McKinley

Post by Michael McKinley »

Hi Donald,

Ancestry has a good index to the Ulster portion of 1830s Tithe Applotment. Unfortunately Donegal is not included as it is not part of Northern Ireland. I have reviewed some of the LDS films for Donegal, but there is no index and they are arranged alphabetically by Parish making it a more difficult undertaking. In the parishes I have reviewed there are names of interest.

Cheers,

Michael
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Thanks again for what you've done, Michael!

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Michael,
I have only looked through the Ulster tithe records which as you say were well indexed. Too bad the Donegal records are not.
That would be alot of work trying to locate McClays.

regards'
Donald
Michael McKinley

Hi Donald,
Below is a list of the surnames I've searched for in the 1857 lists, let me know if I'm missing variants that should be included.

County Donegal:
Names found in the 1857 Donegal Griffiths survey I've found include: Boggs, McClay, McClea, McClean, McLean, McKinlay, McKinley, McKinly.

Names not found: Livingston, Livingstone, McLea, McLay, MacKinley, MacKinlay, MacOnlea, McKinla, McKinlea.

County Londonderry:
Names found in the 1857 Londonderry Griffiths survey I've found include: Boggs, Livingston, McClay, McClean, McLea, McLean, McKinla, McKinlay, McKinley.

Names not found: Livingstone, McClea, McLay, McLeay, MacKinley, MacKinlay, MacOnlea, McKinlea, McKinly.

Cheers,

Michael
Michael McKinley

Hi Donald,
Regarding the 1830s Tithe Applotment Lists, there are actually partial indexes available for Donegal where individuals have transcribed the odd parish. Each parish is individually searchable. These can be found at the link below:

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.anc ... tithes.htm

Below is a list of names pulled from these indexes, though I didn't search for McClay/McLay.
McKinley James
McKinea Daniel
McKinea David
McKinea Michael
McKinea Patrick
McKinea Widow
McKinea Widow
McKinley Bryan
McKinley Daniel
McKinley Charles
McKinley John
McKinley Ralph
McKinley Thomas
McLean James
McLean James
McClean Alexander
McClean John
McClean Widow
Bogs William
Leviston Alexander

The link to the Ancestry index of the Ulster counties is below: I did a quick search and found 6 McClays and 1 McClea.

http://search.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=1270

Cheers,

Michael
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Michael McKinley wrote:Below is a list of the surnames I've searched for in the 1857 lists, let me know if I'm missing variants that should be included.
Looks like you hit the major ones. Two minor ones I don't expect to show up in Ireland would be MacLea and MacLeay. You had the "Mc" variations that seem to be the more common spellings in Ireland, so I doubt you missed any.

Thanks!

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Michael,

You might be interested in my research of McKinleys throughout 19th century Scotland in earlier postings. I am just not certain for the moment if they on this forum or the old one. We have them saved somewhere. I was trying to identify areas of major Mckinley concentrations in Scotland. Quite a few in Kintyre for example. If you want to do some serious DNA testing of McKinleys dont forgot to test some of the Kintyre McKinleys. Have you been in touch with any Kintyre McKinleys? There appears to be still lots of them there I think. I was hoping to compare Kintyre Mckinleys with Rothesay Bute McLeas, Macleas.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Michael and Kyle,

McLeans should not normally be connected to highland Clan McLeas or any of the McLea groups that have been identified. Perhaps the odd person added an n but that would be uncommon if it happened at all. I have no knowledge of McLean DNA results for example for those who lived in Northern Mull in close proxmity to my Mull and Morvern Mcleas (Livingstones) but I would think they are not closely related except through marriage. I can however see how some might think because of ancestral proximity and the similar spelling there might be a connection.

Regarding Ireland the Cauley and McCauley families are of Irish origin though some migrated into 19th century Scotland. Sometimes they are assumed to be connected to Macleas or Macleays perhaps because the name similarity. Many show up in the mid 19th century census records in industrialized lowlands as being born in Ireland not Scotland which gave me a clue as to their origin. Also I have a friend who is a Cauley so I knew a little bit about the family. Another similar name Macaulay however is another matter and some of them are found in Northern Scotland along with McLeas which may lead one to assume they are spun from the same cloth. Infact the Macaulay's seem to have a very different history as a people and as a clan and I no reason or evidence to challenge the information regarding their origins which does not seem to have any connection to any of the McLeas in Scotland.

The main variations I have come across within the 1841 to 1901 Scottish census are McLea, Maclea, Macleay, Maclay, McLay, McClay. There may however be a few others but these were the most common I have discovered. With Livingston it is generally Livingston, Livingstone and Levingston with the odd other ones perhaps misspelling showing up from time to time.

regards,

Donald