More on Donald Livingstone and His Saving the Standard

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Kyle MacLea

More on Donald Livingstone and His Saving the Standard

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Courtesy of Roberta.

The Appin Regiment Standard in the Military Museum, Edinburgh Castle.

http://www.clanlivingstone.info/copperm ... um=3&pos=0

http://www.clanlivingstone.info/copperm ... um=3&pos=1

Helps flesh out Donald L. of Morvern's story a bit (and more accurately!)

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
Jewel

Re: More on Donald Livingstone and His Saving the Standard

Post by Jewel »

Hi Kyle,

These are the pictures I had received that were taken by Cassie Livingtone, glad to see them posted.

Jewel
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Excellent. Roberta had then in "her pile"--so we weren't exactly sure how they had come to be there. But we knew the Banner was in the Military Museum at Edinburgh Castle, so that fits the bill. Glad to solve the remaining mystery!

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
New Hampshire, USA
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Roberta, Jewel and Kyle,
A Maclea Livingstone Society Forum History and Genealogy Commitee update.

First I move that Kyle Maclea be made a honorary member of our Commitee given that he has made significant contributions to the Forum history and genealogy both in the past and present and stuck with us through thick and thin.

Jewel and Roberta I am really enjoying these photos I must say. Thanks ever so much for sharing them with the Clan Society. It is a rare treat to have this Donald Livingstone of Savary, Morvern, related material come to the forum. My great-great-great grandfather Miles Livingston and his wife Janette Livingston were born in Morvern Parish,Argyllshire according to their marriage record and the other Livingston who accompanied Miles to Lord Selkirk's Red River Settlement in the Summer of 1812 was also a native of Morvern, although they both lived with their families for a time on the Isle of Islay in Argyllshire.

Roberta has found some interesting early records from Nova Scotia which shed light upon the origins of pioneer Malcolm Livingston of Cape George, Antigonish County Nova Scotia who first settled in NOva Scotia in the 1790's. I was pretty certain he was of highland Argyll origin but now Roberta has found information via the death info on two of his sons John and Allan that seems to indicated that John, Allan and probably the father Malcolm Livingston and his wife Mary? originated from Ardgour, Argyllshire which is according to the map is roughly on the opposite side of Loch Linhe from Ballachulish. Nice work Roberta. Now unfortunately the parish records for Ardgour Parish do not survive before the 1830's, otherwise we might have found Malcolm and Mary's children listed in the parish records. Oh well.

If you have been following some of my ealier postings from a few years back you may have realized I am a great fan of Donald Livingstone as was the late Donald MacInnes of Cumbernauld of the Clan McInnes Society. Donald told me he was a regular visitor to the grave of Donald Livingston's parents John Livingston and Ann McInnis (See our Gallery) and sent me his photo of the their grave site which I passed on to Baron Livngstone and the Gallery a few years ago. Donald McInnes had done alot of research for his clan society and himself regarding Donald Livingstone of Savary, Morvern which he most fortunately shared with me. I was deeply disappointed and sadened by his death a few years ago as I would have brought him into our Culloden marker discussions with the NTS. He and lady Stewart of Clan Stewart of Appin had they still been alive at the time of the last discussions they would have been most helpful in that process I should think along with the rest of the dedicated team.

Speaking of Donald Livingston,I am hoping that the gentleman whose Livingstons settled in ALberta I have been helping with his genealogy keeps in touch with the Forum and the Society as I have pretty much determined that prior to his ancestor living in the Lettermore/Ballachulish area his family lived in Savary Morvern and seem to be probable kin to old Donald Livingston 1728-1816 veteran of Culloden who died in 1816. If it comes to that I will personally beg Baron Livingston to contact him so as let him know the significance of his probable ancestral lineage with the famous Donald Livingston of Savary, Morvern. I have carefuly traced this gentlemans ancestry right back to a Donald Livingston born abt. 1796 and his wife Sarah Livingston born 1815/1816 at Savary, Morvern. IN fact I found out that Donald's wife Sarah born actually in 1815 though the census says about 1816 is actually the daughter of Adam Livingston and Mary Livingston of Savary so possibility is that since both Donald and his wife Sarah are Savary Livingstons that this Donald possibly a grandson of the original Donald Livingston of CUlloden fame and his wife could be cousins. Not the first time I have found two cousins to have married. I checked their sons birth record and it indicated Sarah's maiden was Livingston as well as Donalds and then I found her baptismal record in the Lismore Parish records. So on either side of this family he has Savary Morvern Livingston connection that almost certainly leads to him being a descendant of Donald Livingstone of Morvern or his brother Ewen (Hugh) who lived near him at Savary. I cant quite convey just how important a matter this is and I am hoping we can follow through on this.

I will send you Kyle my copy of a photo from Listowel, Ontario of John Livingstone 1811-1899 brother of Dr. David Livingstone (1813-1873). It was kindly given to me by John's descendant and I dont think he will have a problem with me posting it on the gallery. I think you may see the family resemblance.

regards,

Donald
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

I have emailed Donald David and will also be happy to post the photo when you send it, Donald!

Thanks
Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
New Hampshire, USA
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Kyle,

We definitely have found his family in Lettermore, Duror Parish near Ballachulish area and before that at Keil and Savary Morvern, Argyllshire. Absolutely no doubt. It is just that according to the records some of the details from the family did not exactly jive. I traced it right up to his grandfather step by step then Roberta found the cemetery record for the grandfather in Calgary Alberta and it was match right on as far as hiim being born in 1886. We could have done more perhaps but this should be enough for now to eliminate any doubt. The rest of info going back to his Savary, Morvern ancestors is all in the census records.

I have done an update to the last postings so check above message.

regards,

Donald
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Canadian Livingstone wrote:I will send you Kyle my copy of a photo from Listowel, Ontario of John Livingstone 1811-1899 brother of Dr. David Livingstone (1813-1873). It was kindly given to me by John's descendant and I dont think he will have a problem with me posting it on the gallery. I think you may see the family resemblance.
Posted....

http://www.clanlivingstone.info/copperm ... at=3&pos=0

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
New Hampshire, USA
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Kyle,

Thank-you Sir.