The Livingstons of Boularderie, Cape Breton, NS, Canada

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Canadian Livingstone

Re: The Livingstons of Boularderie, Cape Breton, NS, Canada

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Roberta,

I am reasonably certain Roderick pilot was the youngest son of Angus Livingston b.1773 sailor but it is true we dont have a baptismal record as absolute proof. Ann Capstick seemed to be certain of it. See "The Livingstones of Boularderie Island" and once there click "four who moved and stayed in Boularderie" where you will see Laughlin, Archibald, Alexander Mary and Roderick listed as children of old Angus Livingston b.1773. Here is info on Alexander, Roderick, Archibald and some of their family included in the Census Records for Victoria County, Cape Breton

1861 Census for (Boularderie) Victoria County,

Alexander and Rodrick Livingston

1871 Census Boularderie, Victoria County
Deaths: Roderick Livingston Farmer and Pilot died December 1870 age 60
Flora Livingston age 46 Widower
Jessy age 25
Archy age 23
Christina age 17
Lachy age 14 (short for Laughlin I think)
Sarah age 12
Jessiy age 8 (could not read it)

Alexander Livingston age 63 Seaman
Isabella Livingston age 60
Christie age 17
Laughlin Livingston age 34 Seaman
Catharine age 34
Lerieann age 5/12

Daniel Livingston age 24 Seaman
Effenia Livingston age 23

John Livingston age 32 Fishing
Elizabeth age 22
Margaret age 2
William D. age 1

Howleys Ferry, Victoria County

Archy Leviston age 66 (Archibald was a widower by this time his wife Jane Beaton died Sept. 25,1869
Farmer and Widower
Anne age 36
Margaret age 25
John age 23
Daniel age 20
Anna age 10
Archie age 8

Hugh Leviston age 38 Farmer
Catharine age 26
Jane age 6
Christianna age 4
Laughlin age 1
Roderick age 6/12 Sept.

regards,

Donald
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hi Donald;

Thanks for putting the record to rest, I must say. According to John Parker who wrote "Cape Breton Ships and Men", Angus performed his naval duties at Stornaway. John also states that Angus came to Big Bras d'Or in 1816,"a few years before Norman McLeod arrived in St. Ann's". Parker also states Malcolm, Angus and George were brothers.

Interesting adjunct; Angus designed and built the Brigantine Caradoc.

Regards;

Roberta
Canadian Livingstone

HI Roberta,

Yes that is the story that Malcolm, Angus and George were brothers. Perhaps he arrived in 1816 and petitioned and received his land grant a few years later. Most of my ancestors that petitioned the Crown in Upper Canada for a land grant did this a few years or several years after first arriving in Upper Canada so it is intirely possibly that both dates are correct in that sense.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

HI Roberta,

No problem. I had been to the library a year or so ago and went through the 1871 Census and the Livingston records for Inverness and Victoria Counties. I also used to have cemetery records for the Boularderie Livingstons but I dont know what i did with them. I do still have the death dates for Archibald and Alexander Livington's wife thuough from the cemetery which I passed on to you to in an earlier e-mail.

Always like to help when I can. You all pretty much have this Nova Scotia and PEI thing at hand I would say.This is afterall where your families originated and where your roots are.

A lot of this stuff is not always crystal clear and finding the records you want to provide some sort of clarity is sometimes a bit hit and miss. If I know something that can help I will certainly share it with you, Jewel, Barry and the rest of our Maritime Livingstons. As we discussed my objective is pass on to you and Jewel what info I have regarding these families which I have been doing with the long term goal of having a fully operational Maritime Livingston research centre under your direction. You have expressed to me in the past how much you enjoy doing this kind of research.

regards,

Donald

regards,

Donald
rwalker

Post by rwalker »

Hello all,

I haven't been posting in the last few weeks as my grandmother (ggg granddaughter of Angus) died 2 days before her 95th birthday. It was a wonderful service and over 400 people attended at our very small parish church.

I have some photographs of the Livingston gravestones at St James church but due to snowdrifts I could not find Old Angus. I do have his son, Alexander though. I will post them soon.

-Ryan
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Sorry to hear about your grandmother's passing, Ryan.

Please give our best to your family.

Your pictures are welcome any time--no rush!

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Ryan,

Sorry to hear about your grandmother's passing. No doubt you and your family get some comfort out of the fact she lived to be 95. I dont know whether or not it known where old Angus Livingston of Boularderie is buried or at least where his tombstone is located. One I guess would presume he may be buried in the same churchyard as his son Alexander and his wife but I dont know for certain. We will certainly look forward to seeing your photo of Alexander's tombstone.

Someone recently asked me about Livingstons that lived in Middle River, Cape Breton. Middle River was in Victoria County so I am wondering if this Middle River Livingston family might not be connected to old Angus Livingston of Boularderie which I understand was also in Victoria County. I dont know that there is a connection between the Middle River Livingstons and the other Livingstons that lived in Inverness County we have discussed living at Whycocomagh, MullRiver/Mabou and Judique though some of the Middle River Livingstons may have baptised at the Presbyterian Church in Whycocomagh. Regretably nothing is simple when it comes to understanding the Cape Breton Livingstons.

regards,

Donald
Wolkies

Post by Wolkies »

Hi

I'm a pretty busy person so I don't check this board too often.

Anyway, my name is Sharon and my family (my Mom, brother and I) are the owners of the Big Bras d'Or land that Angus I believe was granted. My Grandfather was Alexander Lauchlin Livingston who was 1 of 12 siblings. The land is situated near the old Government warf, down the road from St. James Church. My Father William James Livingston is burried in that cemetary in addition to most of the Livingston's related to him.

I don't know too much family history. With 12 children in his family, my GF Alec inherited the land because he paid the taxes. We also own a small piece of land on the other side of the highway that my Dad bought from his grandmother Sarah.

There was a house on the land that my grandfather and his siblings were born in but since the house was 100 years old (going back 15 years ago) we had it burned down because it was a fire threat to the community.

Sharon W.
Wolkies

Post by Wolkies »

Hey Again

I forgot to mention that I can be reached at wolkies at aol dot com

Sharon
Livingstone_PEI

Post by Livingstone_PEI »

Hi Sharon

Welcome to the Livingstone Forum. It is nice to have someone related to the Boularderie Livingstons. We all look forward to your input. Not knowing anything about your family is not a bad thing. My family is the Whycocomagh Livingstons and a year ago I didn't know anything. My family had it all wrong. All it takes is an eager mind and you will be surprised what turns up.

Barry