The Livingstons of Boularderie, Cape Breton, NS, Canada

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Jewel

Re: The Livingstons of Boularderie, Cape Breton, NS, Canada

Post by Jewel »

Hello All,

Spent some time looking through the Cape Breton Genealogy & Historical Society for any mention of Angus Livingstone. Unfortunately there was'nt very much. There were no details, but an Angus Livingstone was listed under Land Grants for Great Bras D'Or in 1819 and one in 1820 for a Lauchlin Livingstone, also one for Archibald Livingstone for Boulardarie in 1825, but Allan probablly has this info.

The only other record I found was in School Records, Big Bras D'Or School for the year 1835, Lachlin age 8, and Archibald age 6, father Archibald Livingstone.

I also saw many of Allan's Livingstone family listed at St. James Cemetery, but I would asssume he has all of that info.

Jewel
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Jewel,

That is the probably the case. The main secondary source that I knew of is Ann Capstick's Angus Livingston of Boularderie web page. I assume she is likely a descendant of Angus. She seems to have located pretty much everything out there on the family and appears to have done extensive research on the subject. There is a land petition which I think Roberta also located a while back that give some info on Angus that is helpful. I believe from this government document or another one he stated that he named his land grant "Kilninian" which I guess strongly suggests that he may have originated from Kilninnian Parish, Mull. I have his birth date as about 1773. It also apparently known from the petition that he was a Napoloenic War veteran and it is further stated that he is a Chelsea hospital Pensioner. What that means is that he may likely have a document in teh CHelsea hospital Pension records housed in the British Archives giving us perhaps more info on him. I think the British Archives is in the process of putting this records online and searchable by next year or other military records.
Are there any Angus Livingstons in the Kilninian and Kilmore Parish baptism records that fit that birth date? Allan is the third descendant of old Angus Livingston of Boularderie to contact the Society. We also have Ryan Walker and there was a lady who said she had a summer home or cottage I think on or near the original property of ANgus she told me who contacted us a while ago. Perhaps that was Allan's cousin Sharon. I am not sure but it could have been. THere was someone who contacted us a couple of years ago that had a summer home there.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Allan,

As far as the British Archives go they are presently setting up the online search for military pension records having done apparently A to M so far. I did however notice that the Royal Navy Channel flag ship Royal George which was commissioned in 1788 has surviving muster rolls and pay books which may includes names of rank and file seaman. I am pretty certain it is right ship. ADM35 1454 to 1464 covers the years 1790 to 1802 for the Royal George and then number ADM35 2404 and number ADM35 3037 cover the period of 1806 to 1809. So that is an fairly complete time period for the ship and there is chance that Angus is listed in the paybook. I think it will be a good place to look. If they complete the online copying of the pension files by 2011 which i think was the plan we may find information on your ancestor easily online next year. Certainly at some point you want to check with their National Archives. You know the name of ship he was on and which Royal George it was I think so someday you may be able find some info on him in the archives that might be significant. THe Royal George later went to Egypt to quell a disturbance related to the Napoleonic War. So who knows Angus might have sailed with them as well.

regards,

Donald
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hi Donald;

OPR Kilninian

Angus Levingston married Christian Cameron Feb. 1, 1773; they had the following children:

John Dec. 26, 1773 ---- All children born in Kilninian Parish

Hugh Oct. 15, 1776

Lachlan June 2, 1779

Duncan July 6, 1782

Mary Oct. 10, 1784

Duncan June 17, 1787

Donald, do you think there is a connection here, to the Cape Breton Angus and his family?

Regards;

Roberta
Jewel

Post by Jewel »

Hello Donald,

I took a look at my British Isles Vital Records index for Argyll and found 6 Angus Livington(e), Levingston's. 5 of them I believe are listed on the forum but I did find one that I don't think I saw listed on the forum birth & Christening records for Lismore, his parents were Neil Livingston & Katherine Livingstone.

Lismore

Angus Livingston, Christened June 12, 1769, Parents Neil Livingston & Katharine Livingstone

Angus Livingston, Birth Feb. 9, 1823, christened, Feb,23,1823, Parents Hugh Livingston & Mary McInnes.

Kilninian & Killmore

Angus Levingston, Christened Oct. 19, 1769, Parents John Levingston and Kathrine Cameron

Angus Levingston, Christened, Feb. 8,1805, Parents John Levingston and Ann Ferguson

Angus Livingstone, Christened Oct. 22, 1810, Parents John Livingstone and Ann McDougal

Angus Livingstone, Christened March 28, 1815, Parents Angus Livingstone and Chirsty McLucas

Jewel
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Allan,

Thats interesting that Alexander's wife was Catholic because there may have been one or two other Cape Breton Livingstons whose wive's were Scottish Catholics and it may be that the presbyterian Livingston husbands converted and the children were raised Roman Catholic.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Allan,

Should you or your cousin ever wish to pursue research on your ancestor Angus Livingston's military career as a sailor aboard His Majestie's Channel Fleet ship "The Royal George" during the Napoleonic War period he may be mentioned in the Royal George's muster rolls and pay lists recorded during the 1790's and early 1800's. As metioned in an early posting on the form the this Royal George was launched in the 1780's and was one of the a number of ships with that name over a couple of hundred year of British navy history. She was a 100 gun warship and was a flagship of the Channel fleet during the Napoleonic War. The Royal George and the vessels that made up the channel fleet were defending the English channel from intrusion by the french fleet and to prevent an attack on England itself. Angus Livingston may be recorded in ADM 35, 36, 51 which I think includes muster roll and pay lists of the Royal George during the 1790's or early 1800's. This collection of British Naval records is located in the British Archives. I think one may be able to determine from surviving records of the Royal George when your ancestor Angus Livingston first served with the Royal George and when he last served and perhaps what interesting military events transpired during his voyage. I understand that a number of different Admirals and Captains commanded the Royal George during the war and a number of them were likely acquaintences of Admiral Nelson. It may be a little bit of work going through these documents at the British Archives but it would help to prove beyond doubt that old Angus actually served on the Royal George, with whom and at when. I am mentioning this here but I figure that one of his descendants will no doubt be interested in pursuing this at some point in time.

There is another Angus Livingston from Jura, Scotland who served in the British Army during the Napoleonic war and his military information may be included in the Chelsea Pensioners collection which in 2011 will be completed and available on line from the British Archives, but this is not the same Angus Livingston that was born in 1773 in Mull, served in the British Navy on the Royal George and lived in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia from about 1819.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi RYan,

Just an update. True enough the Royal George sank in 1782 and there was another Royal George in the War of 1812, but what you dont realize is that there was another ship launched during the late 1780s which became the Royal George and participated in the Napoleonic War as a flag ship of the Channel fleet. This Royal George was 100 gun war ship and protected the channel from intrusions by Napoleons navy during the 1790s and early 1800s. There are surviving muster rolls and pay lists in the ADM series in the British archives for this ship. This is the vessel I believe that your ancestor served on. I think it very clear he served in the Navy during the Napoleonic War in Europe and not in British North America during the War of 1812. I think it petitions make that clear. I think there may be some mention of him in ADM 35 or 36 or somewhere in this ADM series which covers records of the Channel Fleet flagship Royal George of the Napoleonic War period. You are quite right though. THere were infact a number of vessels in the British Navy that went by the name Royal George during a 200 year period of British naval history. I think however I have found the right one and with any luck if someone takes the trouble to access the Brtish Archives records they might be able to detemine the years when your ancestor ANgus Livingston of Cape Breton served aboard the Royal George. THey just have to make certain they have the right Royal George.

regards,

Donald
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Sounds like this has been a long slog to find the "right" Royal George--but a great find. Thanks for keeping up your looking into this, Donald!

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
Canadian Livingstone

Angus Livingston's 1826 petition that Ryan pointed out certainly contains a helpful piece of information alluding as it does to his earlier career as a sailor aboard the "Royal George" a flag ship of the Channel Fleet during the Napoleonic War. Angus as we learned from an earlier petition for land in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia was a veteran of the Napoleonic War. Taking this one step further there are surviving muster rolls and pay roll info for this vessel in the British Archives. There were of course several vessels with the name Royal George in British Naval history but this one was first launched in the late 1780's and was in use during the Napoleonic War.The 1826 petition also indicates that Angus was 53 yrs of age at the time of the petition in 1826 suggesting that he was born abt. 1773. or possibly 1772.
Early Colonial land petitions whether in Upper Canada, Nova Scotia or elsewhere in the former British Colonies often contain a brief tidbits of biographical information pertaining to one's ancestors.

regards,

Donald