The Livingstons of Boularderie, Cape Breton, NS, Canada

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
EACapstick

Re: The Livingstons of Boularderie, Cape Breton, NS, Canada

Post by EACapstick »

Hello, All:

I stumbled across this excellent forum when Googling for the old Isle of Mull site. Congratulations to all the diligent researchers who have unearthed so many valuable records. I think I have now read all the posts re PEI and CB Livingstons.

YES, Donald, I am still pursuing my Livingston line, although I can't update my site due to several hard drive crashes--trying to retrieve files at present.

Hello to cousins Ryan and Alan. I had met Ryan's grandmother Genevieve when my mother and I spent an afternoon in Aunt Ettie's house with three of Mom's cousins. I recorded the conversation, but I have unfortunately misplaced it--my next project is to find it. I want to extend my condolences to Ryan on his grandmother's death. Although I live in Cape Breton, I had not noticed it in the obits.

Again, thank you for this woderful resource.

Ann Capstick
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Great to hear from you Ann. My apologies on taking so long to approve the message--we moderate all "first posts" so this shouldn't happen again. Somehow your message slipped through the cracks and I missed it. Again, apologies.

But glad you're enjoying the Forum, we hope you will post more of your great information as well!

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
Jewel

Post by Jewel »

Welcome Ann,

Glad to see you found the clan Livingstone forum, it's a great help to people searching for their Livingstone ancestors. We have many people who are passionate about helping others. Compliments to you and all of your hard work on your Bouldarie Livingstone family. It was a great help to me many years ago when I first started my search for my Livingstone's. I am a descendent of the Low Point Livingstone's. Don't be a stranger to the forum, your input would be much appreciated.

Regards, Jewel Brown
EACapstick

Post by EACapstick »

T hank, Kyle and Jewel. Of course I remember you, Jewel, from 10 or more years ago when we were working hard to get as many resources as possible on the CBGenWeb site. I see you are at it at least as hard as ever now. Great research yielding great resources for others.

Ann
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hello Ann,

A heart felt welcome to the Maclea Livingstone Forum. We have read and studied your valued research on the Boularderie Livingstons and old Angus Livingston. I dont know that I added much to your fine research. I noticed that the "ROyal George" which your ancestor Angus Livingston served aboard was a Channel Flag ship during the Napoleonic War and that some records survive during the Napoleonic War era. THere were several vessels named Royal George from the 1700's to early 20th century but only one during the Napoleonic War period. Also there has been some mixup over the years regarding a British Army CHelsea Pensioner ANgus Livingston born abt. 1781 of Southern Mull origin married to Margaret Hall in the early 1800's and resident at Jura, Scotland in the 1841 Census. His children are known from Baptismal records in Scotland and this is a completely different Angus and family than the one that settled in 1819 at Boularderie, Cape Breton with sons Laughlin, Alexander, Archibald and Roderick. The other interesting thing is that there is lady from Australia whom has been touch with us whom has Australian records indicating that a grandson of Angus left Cape Breton and settled in Australia around 1860. Other than that I think we have explored the origins and available family history information of several pioneer highland Livingston families that settled in Nova Scotia and PEi in the early 1800's. Roberta Livingston and her cousin Jewel Brown whom you know well have been instrumental in keeping this interest in Nova Scotia and PEI Livingston research happening here at the forum. We are indeed pleased to finally have made contact with you and look forward to hearing from you in the future.

regards
Livingstone_PEI

Post by Livingstone_PEI »

Welcome Ann

I am from PEI and pretty sure related to the Whycocomagh Livingstone's. We have been trying to find you for quite awhile and look forward to your input. This summer was another crazy summer and very busy, so am a little disconnected and now trying to catch up on the happenings here.

Barry
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Roberta,

I noticed in some earler postings from late February early march of 2010 Allan Livingstone Macleod talks about Harrison Livingston as having done some research regarding the early Livingstons and being a descendant of Alexander Livingston and Isabella Deason son of the Angus Livingston pioneer who settled at Boularderie, Bras d'or, Victoria County around 1816. Interestingly there appears to have been more than one Angus Livingston in the Cape Breton records around this time one of which seems to have been a some of earlier pioneer Malcolm Livingston of Cape George. There is also information that the other Angus received land in 1817 and apparently drowned in 1817. The other Angus who settled at Boularderie could not have been him as he lived long after 1817. That being said it could be that Angus of Boularderie could be related in some way to the family of Malcolm Livingstone of Cape George. My sense however is the Malcolm was the father of the other Angus who appears in the records. Malcolms survving Children and his wife show up in later records in the early 1800's in the Cape George, Livingstone Cove, Arisaig area

regards,

Donald
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hi Donald;

Yes, the Angus who drowned in 1817 was 35 years old. Didn't we determine that he was a son of Malcolm of Cape George. Angus Livingstone born c 1782, died 1817.

Livingstone, Angus, 1817 Mfm no. 15794 Cape Breton no: 1662

Petition to Ainslie: Petitioner emigrated with his fathers family from Scotland 23 years ago. He has a vessel employed in the fishery on the shore of Nova Scotia and Cape Breton. He asks lots 2 and 3 in the north block B., Town of Hawksbury or Ship Harbour. Note: granted.

Livingstone, Duncan, 1817 Mfm. no. 15794 Cape Breton no: 1663

Petition to Ainslie: Petitioner, a single man, native of Scotland, asks lot 3, north block A., Town of Hawksbury. Note: granted

Regards;

Roberta
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Roberta,

Yes absolutely that would be the Angus son of Malcolm of Cape George. So many Angus Livingstons. I guess what was wondering was whether or not Malcolm son of John Livingston and Isabella McDonald had a brother named Angus that died as well. A minor detail in any event.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Roberta,

Ann speaks of two of her cousins in a message to the forum including Allan who has been in contact with us through this forum and in communication with me so yes she would be an direct descendant of Angus Livingston of Boularderie. They have apparently been in contact over their Boularderie Livingston family connection in the past much like you and your Cape Breton Livingston cousins. It would be great to get all the Cape Breton Livingstones together as a research and discussion group via the forum. You all have common genealogy interests. Including Ann I think we have contacted by four or five Livingstons with a family connection to Angus Livingston of Boularderie, Victoria County, Cape Breton. I dont know for sure and wanted to ask them about the Livingstons recorded in the 1871 Census living at Middle River and Little Narrows also in Victoria COunty in the 1871 Census. I was thinking they are connected to Angus and the Boularderie Livingsons also living in Victoria County rather than those in Inverness County but I was curious if they had any thoughts about these two families.

regards,

Donald