Help with Scotland's People Records

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
vkadams

Help with Scotland's People Records

Post by vkadams »

Happy New Year everyone....it's back to research now that the holidays etc are over. I am stuck once again and would appreciate, as always any help from the "brainy" people on this forum.

Ann Livingston born on Jura approx 1781 married to Dougald McCallum (Ann stated on the census that she was married but I can find no record of that.)
child: John Dugald born approximately 1824

Ann had a blind sister Catherine and they lived on Soraba Farms 1841 and 1851. in 1861 she was living with her son John Dugald McCallum. John was a tailor in Oban. He vanished from the records after that and wondered if he moved to Canada or USA.

I am trying to find out if this Ann Livingston was a sister to Peter Livingston born 1796. I know that Dugald Livingston(John) married Margaret "peggy" McCallum and it seems that our familes often married/sisters/brothers of relatives.
Canadian Livingstone

Re: Help with Scotland's People Records

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Virginia,

Happy New Year!

Regretably all we really have to work with are the baptismal records of Appin and Lismore in the case of establishing who was a part of Peter's early family and there is not much to work with beyond what we discussed earlier I am sorry to say. It appears that some of Peter's sibblings were born and baptised in Lismore parish and some in Appin parish but the baptismal information for his siblings for the most part appears to be incomplete or missing. What we have is not much in the way of a record of the Christenings that took place in the 1790's in Lismore when his father, mother and family moved to neighbouring Appin Parish. Scotland's People utilizes Scotland's surviving OPR's the available resources which in this case are any baptisms and marriages which were recorded in these old Parish books in Western Argyll. I am not sure in light of this that anyone can really easily establish who was a sister of Peter Livingston b 1796 of Port Appin at least from the surviving Parish records. Some of the Livingston on Lismore and in Port Appin that appear in the early 1841 Census no doubt would be related to Peter I am quite certain of that. It may prove useful to make note of all those Livingston families in the 1841 and 1851 Census in the Port Appin area as their descendants may be able to help you sometime. I am reasonalby certain on the basis of my own research of your ancestor that his father and mother were from the Isle of Lismore originally and shortly before the birth of Peter left the Isle of Lismore for neighbouring Appin Parish and Port Appin. Peter became Port Appin's shoemaker as you know.
I was very pleased that the group of us were able to make some progress on researching your ancestor Peter Livingston of Port Appin, Argyllshire and his son that settled in Ontario, Canada. I think we have pretty much established who Peter's parents were, but we still dont have a complete picture of his family by any means as it existed in Lismore and later Appin in the late 1700's and early 1800's. In addition to an apparent problem with the Parish records there is also the fact that census records for Lismore and Appin residents do not exist before the year 1841.

Regarding the McCallums if they left Scotland after 1861 for North America as you state your best bet might be a search for them in the 1880 US or 1881 Canadian census via familysearch.org.

regards,

Donald (Livingstone) Clink
Historian
Clan Maclea Livingstone Society
vkadams

Land Records for Lambton, Ontario 1840's

Post by vkadams »

Where would I go to search land records for Lambton Ontario around the 1840's?
I know Donald and Roberta know their way around these records fairly well. My
inquiry is not only for the Livingston's in my family tree but my Mother's
paternal grandparents settled that area as well. Last name Bostock. Any
direction would be greatly appreciated...I am interested in streamlining the
project and going on a well blazed path is so much better than a stab in the dark...thanks
for all or any help...
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Virginia,

I would suggest you contact the Lambton County Branch of the Ontario Genealogical Society. They would be familiar with the all available resources that would be available to you regarding the specific Township where your Livingstons and other families were located. They will know specifically what records exist from before the 1860's in Lambton County.There are generally census records for Ontario Townships from 1851 to 1911 but there are quite a few from 1851 missing. In some Townships there are early assessments and censuses going back much further than that but they are not as detailed as the Census records commencing in 1851.In the case of early church records in Ontario it is a bit hit and miss depending on the minister at the time and whether by chance and good fortune his entries survived. By the 1860's births,marriages and deaths began to be registered and recorded by the Government in Ontario.

Cemetery records for many cemeteries in Lambton County I know have been transcribed through the efforts of members of the Ontario Genealogical Society. There are indexed land records organized by Township, Concession and lot numbers going back to original grantees. Also there is a Lambton County Historical Atlas published in the late 1800's with the name of land owners in each Township at that time. The Ontario Archives Website may also prove to helpfull in terms of giving you a good sense of what records are available to those researching ancestors who resided in Lambton County. The Lambton County branch of the Ontario Genealogical Society can probably refer you to local researchers whose area of expertise are the Township records of Lambton County. Their experience with the townships your ancestors lived in might prove helpfull to you. Some of the censuses have been indexed such as the 1871 Ontario Census and one for each County published through the Ontario Genealogical Society and the 1881 Canadian Census for Ontario and the rest of Canada can be searched through Familysearch.org.As this is the Maclea Livingstone Society Forum we are somewhat limited to McLea Livingstone research.

regards,

Donald (Livingstone) Clink
Historian
Clan Maclea Livingstone Society
vkadams

Post by vkadams »

Good information as always...thanks for saving me hours of time just
trying to get on the right path. This will open up a whole new area
of research as I put the "rest of the story" together...thanks again
for the direction...vka