Worth Paying For?

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
beadmom

Worth Paying For?

Post by beadmom »

Can I get people's opinions of some of the pay sites for genealogy research? There seem to be quite a few and I am willing to do it but in true Scottish fashion....I want to get my moneys worth :)

Thanks, Ginger
Kyle MacLea

Re: Worth Paying For?

Post by Kyle MacLea »

I'm sure others will chime in--I don't pay for any currently.

As a note, a lot of public libraries have subscriptions to Ancestry.com. (I've used it in Michigan and Delaware in a public library.) You might check your library first to make sure you don't have access. Some even allow access via the internet or similar to their Ancestry subscription, which is something I would take in a heart-beat if it were offered here.

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
beadmom

Post by beadmom »

Great info to have.

Thanks Kyle!
Jill Richmond

Post by Jill Richmond »

Hi Ginger,

I would suggest ScotlandsPeople. They do charge, and quite steeply, but they hold all Scottish BMDS and Census from 1841 plus other info. I haven't used them for while, but I seem to remember that you buy a block of time which gives you access to BMDs certificates, etc. I find when doing research on this site that it is a good idea to write down a list of everything you want to look up before you start. This makes the best use of the time available. I think you'll find them at http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk. Good hunting!

Jill
Jill Richmond