Kildalton, Argyll Livingston/es

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Canadian Livingstone

Re: Kildalton, Argyll Livingston/es

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Roberta,

I notice that Daniel's 1731 info is a submitted IGI to the LDS but I am wondering if it also in the Scottish Parish records. Unfortunately I am in the middle of some technical problems with my computer I am sorting out so I wont be able to check this out for myself till sometime next week hopefully. LDS is just stating it is submitted information but made not mention of being from Kildalton Parish records which it probably is. There is something about the Daniel's 1731 info that I am trying to sort out in my own mind.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Roberta,
I am hoping to take a look at the original parish record for Daniel b.1731 before commenting further. We know there was a family that went by the name Livingston at KIldalton, Islay and a McInnis family living on the Island of Islay at this time so this seems quite plausible. The problem is that the LDS is indicating this is submitted family genealogy but not verified from original parish records as far Daniel's birth to John /Donald Livingston and Ann McInnis. That being said I think it is fair to accept as a family submitted genealogy and the information is believed to be correct.

regards,
Alkayus

Post by Alkayus »

Good evening!

First post on the forum and I am quite excited about it for having come by this particular post on the forum. From the research I have done through Ancestry.com and other relatives, most distant ones lol, I have learned I am a decendent of Donald Livingston's, abt 1704 Argyll, Scotland. Attached I will put a picture of my line going back to him that I took a screen shot of lol. Unfortunately I wasnt able to download it. I have not been able to learn anything else other than what is on this chart and the other interesting facts I learned earlier in this thread. Some details may be wrong as well with what I have and I am not sure and would love to be pointed in the correct direction. Does anyone know of Donald's parents? Id like to see just how far back I could trace my particular line and family. Only other detail I got, due to where the birth record is from, is that its from the Isle of Islay. I suspect you are also a descendant?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Alba Gu Bràth
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Eric,
Welcome the Clan Maclea Livingstone Society forum. Your ancestor Daniel Livingston was one of the earliest highland Argyllshire Livingstons to settle in Upper Canada arriving there in 1784. His served in the British military during the French Indian Wars in the 1750's and early 1760's as a young man, in Frasers Highlanders according to information and an orignal 1765 Miltary land Grant from King George Third for his service during the French and Indian Wars. Confusingly another document a certificate written in 1798 by the Alexander Campbell justice of the Peace for Johnstown DIstrict, Upper Canada states Daniel served in Montgomery's Highlanders. So there is some confusion there but years later in 1835, when his elder son John was petitioning the Government of Upper Canada for a land grant he included in his petition the original 1765 land grant document which clearly states that Donald alias Daniel Livingston served in Frasers Highlanders rather than Montgomery Highlanders. Daniel and other former soldiers in the 78th regiment were also granted land near where he was granted and it was one of the other Highland regiments that served during the French and Indian Wars. Once the French and Indian War ceased in the early 1760's a number of soldiers from Montgomery's Highlanders received land grants in vicinity of Argyll, Charlotte County, NY later renamed Washington County and that apparently is where Daniel or Donald Livingston as he was known by the British also received his land grant in a part of old ALbany County east of the Hudson River which later became Charlotte County and after the Revolution Washington County, New York State. It is believed that Daniel received a grant in the 1765 at at White Creek Meadows along the White Creek about 4 miles north east of New Perth now Salem, Washington County then Charlotte County on land also claimed by then New Hampshire as part of their granted land and some timelater to become land bordering the North West Vermont border with Argyle Township in old Albany County. Today Daniel's land grant is now located in Rupert Township, Bennington County, Vermont along the White Creek. As the story goes Daniel and family fled in 1771 their farm and found sanctuary in nearby New Perth (Salem), Ny with friends associated the Presbyterian church after having been forced off their land by Charles Hutcheson and other armed and irate New Hampshire grantees who had a counter claim they had granted this lot and other neighbouring lots by the Government of New Hampshire and which they felt they were legally entitled to considering the Albany County grantees as trespassing on their land. From them to time of the Revolution it is assumed Daniel and famiy were residing in the New Perth (Salem), NY area.

Subsequently , Daniel according to his Upper Canada records like a number of other former highland soldiers supported the British in the American Revolution and he in enlisted in a second British regiment the number of which is recorded in his Upper Canada land petition documents from the 1790's once again years later in 1777 with General Burgoynes New York military campaign. Apparently he witnessed the defeat of the British Army under General Burgoyne. Having fought in the New York Campaign with Burygoynes army somehow he somehow managed to survive the war, escape capture and persecution by local rebels in NY and returned to Charlotte County which was renamed Washington County after the victorioius American General
Washington.

regards

Donald (Livingstone) Clink
Clan Maclea Livingstone Society
Historian
Alkayus

Post by Alkayus »

Good evening,

Thank you so very much for responding. Everything you have told me has been quite enlightening. I really would love to at some point in the future start compiling a book or biography of my Livingston line starting as far back as I can. Unfortunately as you mentioned, it seems the farthest I can go back is his father and even then, just that he was born some time in 1704 and from Argyllshire. Something I find very interesting is despite where other family members have come from, it seems as my family has always been in New York. Regardless of where some current day relatives live (Louisiana, Virginia, etc), they just moved there recently and we were all born and raised here in New York. Very exciting seeing as how part of me has been here since the 1700's despite hiatus' in Canada. Thank you again sir, and I am certainly quite eager to learn as much as I can. My family didnt even know we were of Scottish decent, and I sincerely hope to bring it more to the forefront.
Alba Gu Bràth
Livingstone_PEI

Post by Livingstone_PEI »

Have you seen the land grant information in this thread for this family? I believe all of the land grants are here.

"Daniel Livingston and son John Livingston - Loyalists "

Barry
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Hi Donald,

Some time ago, I came across a copy of an OPR which would appear to be the gent referred to (OPR birth 541/00 0010 0015 Kildalton), for Donald Livingstone, born/baptised 04 April 1731, at Kenture, fathers name also Donald, unfortunately, the OPR only listed the fathers name.

John
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Eric,

ONe account states that Daniel following his military service during the French and Indian Wars in the 1760's received a grant of land in present day Vermont. Another however states that this grant was in the Salem, NY area which is infact in close proximity to the Vermont border I understand. By the time Daniel petitioned the Government of Upper Canada for land grant after the American Revolution in the 1789 that he had formerly been a resident in Argyll, Charlotte County, NY later Washington County, Ny before coming up to Upper Canada in the year 1784. Daniel Livingston received an official Land patent or land grant from the Crown and the then provincial Government of New York in 1765. He was situated on 50 acres of an 150 acre lot shared with two other soldiers granted to him as a former private in the 78th Regiment of Foot (Fraser's Highlander) according to his 1765 land Patent document. Daniel's lot was situated about 4 miles north East of the present day town of Salem in Washington County at one time part of old Albany County and on land that following a serious border dispute between the government of colonial New York and the Government of New Hampshire in 1771 was recognized as actually not being in Albany, NY in 1771 but a legitimate New Hampshire grant situated according to New Hampshire on the border with Albany County in Rupert Township, Bennington County in New Hampshire and a few years later to become part of neighbouring Vermont. Daniel's lot was situated along the White Creek in White Creek Meadows about four miles north east of the village of Salem not to be confused with the village of White Creek.

Have you read Edwin Livingston's book on Daniel Livingston? Edwin was a descendant and did alot of research on the Daniel Livingston family line but he is unfortunately no longer living. As Daniel had several sons who came up to Canada there must be a few descendants more out there. Some may have gone back to New York State. Don't have any detailed information that or original records to back that up as yet.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Eric,

There were several sons of Daniel as mentioned that joined him in Canada in the 1790's. His sons were Simeon b. 1778, John b. 1759, Abraham b. 1770, Alexander b. 1775, Silas b. 1767, Daniel Jr. b. 1762, William b. 1772, Duncan b . 1773 in Salem, Washington County, NY died August 5, 1821 in Leeds County, Ontario, David Livingson b. unknown.

Presumingly Daniel, his military service ended with end of the French and Indian Wars and his 78th Regiment of Foot (Fraser's Highlanders were disbanded in Quebec in 1763 and he went some 80 other men from the 78th to Albany County, Province of New York and subsequently received his land grant in 1765 with other officers and enlisted men from that British regiment in Albany County, NY. Ny area or around Salem all in present day Washington County, NY.

Simeon Livingston your ancestor is said to have been born abt. 1778 I would assume in Washington County formerly Charlotte County before the Revolution in this Salem or Argyll area in this New york County. Simeon who married Sarah Todd seems to have come up to Upper Canada (Ontario, Canada) in the 1790's with his father and other brothers. (I will eventually confirm that) But later information regarding his childrens birth seems to indicate that he and his family returned by the early 1800's to Argyll Township/Greenwich where his son John and Alexander were born in 1807 and 1808. Greenwich, Ny was created in 1803 from part of Argyll,New York. So the Simeon Livingston would seem to confirm that Daniel and his sons had a definite connection to this Argyll, Washington County formerly Charlotte County,New York area of the State for many years. I will see if we have any info on Simeon petitioning the goverment of Upper Canada for a land grant in the 1790's as his father and brothers did. Lots of Americans received land grants and later sold them for the cash and returned to the States while most cleared the land as required, received a patent on their land grant and remained in Upper Canada. A free 200 acre land grant was inticement for a lot of New York State residents in the late 1700's and early 1800's to settle in the less populated Upper Canada and live under British rule.

It would be likely that Simeons' sons John and Alexander were born in Argyll/Greenwich, Washington County, New York State as stated. The 1810 U.S Census confirms that Simeon Livingston was by this point in time residing in Argyll, Washington County, NY. And this of course ties in nicely to information on Daniel Livingstons 1789 Upper Canada Land Petition where we have information that a former resident of Argyll in the former Charlotte County after the Revolution renamed Washington County. I have updated my original posting to reflect updates in information regarding Daniel's pre revolutionary location in New York State as far as we can tell. Although i do not posess a copy of the original land grant from the 1760's given Daniel by the British Army there seems to be some convincing information that it was near Salem,Ny and close to the present day Vermont border and possibly even have been in present day Vermont not far from Salem, NY.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Barry,
I am trying to better familiarise myself with this earliest of highland Livingston families to settle in what became Upper Canada in the 1790's. Daniel and sons settled in the Leed County, ONtario area in the 1790's. Daniel and sons have my Livingston family beat as my great-great-great grandfather Miles Livingston did not arrive in British North America until 1812 and Upper Canada until 1815. Miles and family and a companion Donald Livingston a fellow boatbuilder and possibly a cousin however should get credit for being the first Livingstons in Western Canada in 1812 while it was still Hudsons Bay Company territory in British North America.

If your out there? Do you see a Upper Canada land petition from a Simeon Livingston from the late 1780's or early 1790's? He is in Argyll/Greenwich, Washington County, NY in the early 1800's but may have gone up to Upper Canada with his father Daniel and other brothers in late 1780's early 1790's and received a land grant with them in the Leeds County, Ontario area. He may have received his 200 acre land grant from the Crown and subsequently sold it or gave it to one of his brothers and subsequently returned to Argyll/Greenwich,Ny area close to where Daniel and family once lived before coming to Canada. If you have located a petition from Daniel's son Simeon with that group of Livingston family petitions can you include it in a forum message. If you have already located just direct me to it.
Thanks again.

regards,

Donald