Kildalton, Argyll Livingston/es

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Canadian Livingstone

Re: Kildalton, Argyll Livingston/es

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Brent,
An important Update on the research of Daniel Livingston
I have included some interesting documents from Upper Canada Land petitions pertaining to Daniel and later his eldest son John Livingston.

This first docuument , I was talking about, circa the 1790's from Upper Canada which give details of Daniel Livingston's earlier life in America and his military service which were submitted to Government of Upper Canada and supported Daniel's request for a land grant as having been a Loyalist in America and having served in British Army before and during the Revolutionary War. One document dated May 23, 1798 is a Military Service Record written to support his request to be official recognized by the Government of Upper Canada as an AMerican Loyalist during the REvolution in America and eligible to receive a loyalist land grant and the other document his Upper Canada Land Petition also from 1790's. This record acknowledges both Daniel's military service during the Revolutionary War with the British Military in one of the regiments which served in the New York Campaign of 1777 under British General Burgoyne that later that year defeated and many of men taken prisoner by the Americans. I should note that Daniel does not state that he was captured and suffered imprisonment nor does it state he was at the final battle at Saratoga in 1777. I would think he would have included that information to get sympathetic treatment from the Crown and to help guarantee that his petition for land in Upper Canada was accepted. His other sons petition the Government of Upper Canada as well, but John Livingston's are the most interesting in that they include additional details and documentation regarding his father's earlier history in American before and during the Revolution that can't be found anywhere else.
In this petition document to the Government of Upper Canada, Daniel Livingston Sr. states that he served in the 78th regiment of foot and prior to arriving in Canada his place of residence was Charlotte County, New York State.
To the Honorable Richard Duncan, Justus Sherwood and John Munro Esquire

The Petition of Daniel Livingston 1793
Late of Charlotte County and Province of New York
Most Respectively
Sheweth
That your Petitioner has served seven years in his Majesties 78th Regiment of foot now begs leave to become (a) settler on his Majesty's vacant land ____ for the _____ of Loyalists
Your Honor, Petitioner ___ leave to observer that he joined the Army under the Command of General Burgoyne whom your ____ continued during that Campaign but from ____ and unforeseen misfortunes was unable to leave the Country where I rendered every _____ ___ to HIs Majesty's subjects that was in my power therefore your Petitioner ___ humbly begs the Board with their blessing to take my ____ under their
___ consideration and grant such ___ portion of land their ___ as they shall think ___ and their ____

In duty bound shall ever pray

Daniel Livingston

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Burgoyne

The Petition of Daniel Livingston late of the State of New York most humbly sheweth that your petitioner is of good character and wishing to become a a subject to his Majesty's ________ may he be indulged with 200 acres of land and prays it may be granted to him

Now it seems that Daniel Livingston Sr. died not long after he completed his Upper Canada Land Petition, apparently sometime in 1793, hit by a falling tree. The next records of interest are from 1798 when Daniel's eldest son John Livingston is petitioning for his father and himself to put on the U.E. list. Later in an 1835 Land petition of the son John he seems to stating that he received a land grant of 200 acres in 1798 but that his father did not receive a land grant or any compensation for his losses which is interesting if correct.

1798 Daniel Livingston's eldest son John Livingston of Augusta, Grenville County, Johnston District, Upper Canada
The next record is a brief petition of Daniel Livingston's eldest son John Livingston requesting for he and his late father be put upon the U.E list. It appears that John had a certificate of military service included pertaining to his father's military service done in 1798 a few years after Daniel Livingston's death inseeking to have his late father Daniel and himself recorded on the U.E. List as United Empire Loyalists. John includes with his petition at this time a certificate from the Johnstown District Justice of the Peace Alexander Campbell verifying Daniel Livingston Senior's military service with the British Army both before the Revolution and during the Revolution in America to help verify his father's military service.

John Livingston Memorial July 26,1798
"to be put upon the U.E. List"

May 23, 1798 Military Service Certification Record of Daniel Livingston Elizabethtown, Upper Canada
by Alexander Campbell Justice of Peace Alexander Campbell Johnstown District, Upper Canada
Elizabethtown May 23, 1798

This may certify that Daniel Livingston Senior a native of Scotland, came out to America last French War as a Soldier in Montgomery's Highlanders. After the Revolution he made the Township of Argyll (New) York Government his place of residence, being a great Loyalist (he) joined His Excellency General Burgoyne's Army in the year 1777 and being ___ at the Quarter _____ ______ at New Johnston Eastern District was neglected having his name inserted as U.E (United Empire Loyalist) although a man who ought to have received the height of attention from the British Government. Said Daniel Livingston has a son smart ____ _____ for Country _____.

Alex Campbell JP.

That year 1798 Daniel's son John Livingston received 200 acres of land Concession 7 Lot 26 in Kitley Township in the Johnston District of Upper Canada from the Government of Upper Canada.

It gets more interesting upon study of the old documents pertaining to this Livingston family.
Later in 1835 when the elder son John Livingston agains petitions the Government of Upper Canada regarding a land issue, he goes all out and interestingly includes some of his later father's old and valued documents from Colonial New York days with documentation indicating that during the French and Indian Wars he actually served with the 78th Regiment the Frasers Highlanders rather than the other highland regiment Montgomery's Highlanders. Could the Justice of Peace Alexander Campbell in 1798 got mixed up or did in fact Daniel serve both with Fraser's Highlanders and the Montgomery Highlanders. Soldiers from both Fraser's Highlanders and Montgomery's Highlanders received land grants in New York Colony in the years following the peace treaty of 1763. I had not looked this collection of documents with John Livingston's petition of 1835 and what he the additional information he includes is most interesting and somewhat surprising. I was a bit confused because they seem to be later numbered out of sequence, so I have changed to the sequence so the info in the documents make. Together they present a rare glimpse into a part of the early military and settlement history of John's father Daniel Livingston with the additional documents that John included with his Petition to Government of Upper Canada.

1.Document 41 E 1835 Upper Canada Land Petitions
Home District
John Livingston of Hickory Township Island off Gananoque being duly sworn deposeth and saith that he is well known to Daniel on the U.E. List and Donald Livingston who was granted land in the Province of New York being one and same person that the said Daniel or Donald was a highlander by birth and called Donald by his Scotch friends and Daniel by the English - that the two names are synonmynous. Known to any ___ ___ with the Scotch settlement of the Province (of New York) that he this deponent has heard him called as much by one man and the other and that he this deponent was with him at the surrender of Burgoyne's Army.
John Livingston

Sworn before me at Toronto
this 25th of June 1835
James ________

2. 1765 Military Land Grant of Daniel Livingston, in Albany County, Province of New York
John Livingston includes quite amazingly submitted with his 1835 petition an original copy of his father Daniel's Livingston's 1765 military land grant of land in the Province of New York in the year 1765 granted to him after he had completed his Regiment has disbanded in 1763 with the end of the French and Indian Wars in America. The odds that such an old document of old Daniel's would be found years later is quite great. It states:
"King George the Third by the Grace of God of Great Britain, France and Ireland King, Defender of the Faith and so forth: To all to whom these Presents shall come Greetings: Know ye that of our special grace, certain knowledge and meer motion We have given, granted, ratified and confirmed and do by these presents for us our Heirs and Successors, Give, Grant, Ratify and confirm unto our loving subjects Donald (Daniel) Livingston, Alan? McArthur and John McDonald being disbanded soldiers having served in North America during the late war and last belonging to our 78th Regiment of Foot All that certain tract of parcel of land situate lying and being on the East side of Hudson's River in the County of Albany within our Province of New York Beginning st the Southeast corner of a tract of land surveyed from Donald McGilvray and the others and runs then west twenty nine chains and seventy six links , then South fifty two chains and seventy five links theh East twenty chains and seventy nine links and then north fifty two chains and seventy five links to the place where this tract began containing one hundred and fifty acres of land and the usual allowance of highways.
Witness our truly and well beloved Cadwallader Colson Esquire Our Lieutenant Governor and Commander in Chief of our Province of New York and the Territories defending thereon in America.In Pursuance of our Royal Proclamation of the Seventh day of October in the third year of our Reign at our Fort in our City of New York the thirteenth day of May - One THousand Seven Hundred and Sixty-Five in the fifth year of Our Reign.

4. 1767 sale of land by above mentioned former soldier John McDonald to Daniel Livingston. Basking Ridge is apparently in New Jersey.
Document 41 B
Basking Ridge November 12, 1767
I John McDonald for the consideration of the sum of Three pounds paid to me in hand by Daniel Livingston do here by ___ over all my rights and title __ to the within deed and do bind my self, my heirs, exectors, administrators and _____ to warrand and defend the same against all persons whatsoever
John McDonald

5. Document 41 A
1835 land Petiton of Daniel Livington's eldest son John Livingston emphasing for some father's military service during the French and Indian Wars and that he had received a military land grant, bought land and in the 1760's in the the Province of New York and includes two rare and interesting documents from the 1760's verifying his father's military service during the French and Indian Wars, that he was granted land and that he lived in the Province of New York in the 1760's as he claims in his petition and that his father during the Revolution reenlisted in British Army in America and received no money or lands for those he had lost. John also mentions his earlier petition of 1798 and having received 200 acres of land in Upper Canada.
1835 Upper Canada Land Petition of John Livingston
John McDonald did in the year 1767 assign unto the said Donald or Daniel Livingston his share of the last mentioned land that as above stated the said Livingston on the breaking out of the War joined the Royal Standard and finally at the close of the war came to this Province receiving no compensation either in money or lands for those he had lost.
After that your petitioner by order in council in the year 1798 received a grant of 200 acres of land as the son of the said Daniel Livingston which was located upon the Lot. no. 26 in the seventh concession of the Township of Kitley in the Johnstown District but he now finds that through an error the said Lot has been described to one Choloe Stevens thus throwing your petitioner entirely out of his lands and leaving him a this late day to seek a location under circumstances decidedly disadvantaged
Your petitioner therefore prays your Excellency may be pleased to permit him to locate in order to claim under their and __ act his late Father's quota of lands in lieu of those he had lost in such situations as he may find it vacant and plantible and as near as ____ of ___ ___
As in duty bound,
Your petitioner will ever pray,
John Livingston

Toronto July 28, 1835

6. 41 C and 41D
I hereby certify that the bearer John Livingston is the reputed eldest son of Daniel Livingston of Augusta in the Johnstown District of Upper Canada having known the whole family from the time of their first settlement in Augusta in 1784 the most of them having served under ___ different periods in the militaryof this District and considered truly loyal. I can further certify that this John Livingston was residing with his family a few miles from St. Regis where he had mills in York State in 1814 and was very active and serviceable as pilot and went with me for ___ days and nights ___ this the enemy's country and gave every information in his power to myself and the advance. Those under my command bring detachments from the 19th Dragoons and ___ Grenadiers of the 89th Foot

R. Sherwood Late Captain of Guides and ______ of ____ in Upper and Lower Canada
Rideau Lake 6th of June 1835

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Brent,

It would seem to be Daniel's eldest son John Livingston who was responsible for some of the confusion regarding whether or not Daniel served with the Montgomery Highlanders or the Frasers Highlanders during the French and Indian Wars. You will notice that in his first land petition to the Government of Upper Canada in 1798 for U.E recognition and a land grant he included with his petition a Certification written up by the Johnstown District Justice of the Peace confirming that his father was a Loyalist who had originally come to America during the French and Indian War and served in Montgomery's Highlanders during the French and Indian Wars then years later in 1835 in his second land related petition he includes an original copy of a military land grant document from 1765 issued to Donald Livingston who John has indicated is really his father Daniel and that this document states that this Donald Livingston is of Frasers Highlanders. Included in the documents accompanying John's petition is an explanation that his father Daniel was often referred to as Donald Livington. And I have seen this before with a great-great Uncle of mine named Daniel Livingston. Anyways at least I know now the source of the confusion regarding Daniel and the Montgomery Highlanders.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Brent,

Did a bit more research and I have what think may be good news. John Livingston an eldest son of Daniel born in 1759 apparently probably did not realize it at the time when he included his father's original copy of his Military Land grant from 1765 that it be so helpful years later. I was a bit thrown off when it only stated on the 1765 document that Daniel (Donald's) land grant was east of the Hudson River in Albany County but then I remembered that townships of Washington County where Daniel Lived before coming to Canada about 1784 was before 1772 all part of Albany County. In 1772 Albany was divided up somewhat and most importantly the new County of Charlotte was created where Argyll and Greenwich Township and Salem were located . Later Charlotte County became Washington County. Washington County where Argyll Township, Greenwich and Salem are located is on the east side of the Hudson River but the point is that in 1765 when Donald (Daniel) Livingston received his land grant east of the Hudson River it could have conceivably been in the Argyll Township or Salem area where we know the soldiers of the other highland regiment the Montgomery Highlanders received grants in the mid 1760's following the end of the French and Indian Wars in 1763. Unfortunately the land grant speaks of the precise location in old land measurement terms without leaving us with any concrete sense of the location or a nearby town or village. I realize it looks like he purchased at Breckens ridge which is in New Jersey in 1767 but it seems likely and the story is that your ancestor Duncan was born abt. 1773 at Salem so he must settled in Charlotte County east of Hudson River likely before 1773. It appears from the land grant info from 1765 interestingly that both Donald (Daniel) Livingston and that John McDonald received their land grant for serving with Frasers Highlanders and that land grant was definitely in a part Albany County in 1765 on the east side of the Hudson River which my guess was what became Charlotte County in 1772 just around the time of your ancestor Duncan Livingston birth and by the end of the Revolutionary War it became known as Washington County. So while for what ever reason Daniel acquired land at Bracken Ridge from John McDonald he ended up on the east side of the Hudson River. So I am back to notion that his land in Charlotte later Washington County was his original Military grant that his son John kept the original copy of.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Brent,

Okay I think I have a solution to the apparent contradiction regarding the information regarding Daniel's military service with Frasers Highlanders and the Montgomery's Highlanders. Based on the info included in his elder son John's petitions to the Government of Upper Canada I think that he may arrived in Colonial America from Scotland serving in the Montgomery Highlanders in the 1750's during the French and Indian Wars and at some point after that transferred to Frasers Highlanders. Note that in the note of Alexander Campbell Justice of the Peace for Johnstone District Upper Canada, included with John's petition for being included on the U.E list in 1798, Campbell states " that Daniel Livingston a native of Scotland came out to America last French War as a soldier in Montgomery's Highlanders." So by stating that Daniel "came out to America" with the 77th regiment Montgomery's Highlanders, it is quite possible that Campbell just simply overlooked the fact that he apparently transferred to the 78th regiment Frasers Highlanders which according to Daniel's 1765 Military Land grant document in possession of Daniel's son John Livingston I think leaves no doubt that by the end of the French and Indian Wars 1763 Daniel was an enlisted man in Frasers Highlanders and subsequently received a land grant as member of this highland regiment which was family historian Edwin Livingston's understanding. That being said I do think it significant to note that it seems entirely plausible that Daniel could have served in both regiments during the French and Indian Wars. I have recently made an effort to update my previous info on the forum to acknowledge the existence of the original 1765 military grant indicating Daniel's (Donald's)documented service with Frasers Highlander in America as well as the note written in 1798 alluding to Daniel arriving at the beginning of the French and Indian Wars in American apparently originally with the other Highland Regiment that of Montgomery's Highlanders. I think the scenario I am suggesting here makes some sense with the little documented info we have on Daniel's military service.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Brent,

If the read the information on the original copy of the 1765 military land grant granted to Donald (Daniel) Livingston of Frasers Highlanders and another soldier John McDonald both former members of that regiment during the French and Indian Wars, by King George the Third and the British Government in the Province of New York it states that the land grant is on the east side of the Hudson River. The description of the location beyond that is quite vague but it should be noted that is this Grant was in the Argyll Township area of then Albany County in 1765 and later in what became Charlotte and later Washington County, NY is was a Township as the 1779 map I am including here show a township on the east side of the Hudson River which as we know was a highland settlement of folks from Argyll and some decades later in the 1760's a township on the east side of the Hudson River where some former members of Montgomery's Highlanders received land. In any event we know from Daniel's petition of 1793 year later when he was residing in Upper Canada that he had lived in what was old Argyll Township in New York State. Once you find the Hudson River just follow along the east side north until come to "Argyle" (township) with Fort Edward and earlier large Donald Campbell Argyll settlers land grant all along the east side of the Hudson River.

https://www.loc.gov/resource/g3800.ar107000/

What is interesting is that most histories which discuss the Frasers Highlanders during the French and Indian Wars in colonial NY indicate that at the end of that war in 1763 the former officers and enlisted men that received military land grants settled in Quebec and Nova Scotia. I have found no mention of Frasers Highlanders receiving military grants in Argyle Township on the east side of the Hudson River in the Province of New York. It is however clear that members of the other highland regiment Montgomery Highlanders did and we also know interestingly, from the original military land grant that Daniel alias Donald Livingston of Frasers Highlander and a John McDonald received their 1765 grant granted them in the Province of New York on land in the then Province of New York in a unnamed township on the east side of the Hudson River. I think therefore it is possible that some members of Frasers Highlanders also in the mid 1760's received a military land grant in the area of old Argyle Township on the east side of the Hudson River along with some former solders from the other highland regiment Montgomery's Highlanders which one note written in Upper Canada in 1798 suggests Daniel as young man also served in at the time he arrived in America. In any event whether he served with Montgomery Highlanders or not I am thinking it likely that the then British Government officials in the Province of New York located him apparently near to where Montgomery Highlanders had received their grant in old Argyle Township along the Hudson River. That is my hunch anyways.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Brent,

This all has been a work in progress and return and closer look at the original research info which I think has helped to give better understanding of Daniel Livingston. In the process having taken a second look at his petition from 1793 and his son John's petition of 1798 and 1835 to the Government of Upper Canada, I think I have a better sense of what is being stated about Daniel. Based on this information these are my most current thoughts of your ancestor Daniel Livingston

1. Daniel Livingston of highland origin, probably of Islay, Argyllshire origin said to born abt. 1730 served in the British Army in the Highland Regiment the 78th Regiment of Foot known as Frasers Highlanders for close to"seven years" during the period of French and Indian Wars in America. This version of Frasers Highland Regiment was formed in 1757 and disbanded in the year 1763. Another Fraser Highland regiment the 71st served during the Revolutionary War but not with General Burgoyne in 1777. 7 years after Daniel apparently joined the regiment, in the year 1765 he received a Military land grant from King George the Third and issued to him and two other ex soldiers John McDonald and Allan? McArthur by an official from New York for land on the east side of the Hudson River in old Albany County. Although the precise location is not clearly indicated in the original copy of the grant, it seems to have been in the part of old Albany County which Charlotte County and after the Revolutionary War Washington County and along the east coast of the Hudson River in Argyll Township which a predominately highland Scottish settlement that included also some former members of the 77th regiment Montgomery Highlanders amongst its occupants by the 1760's also veterans of the French and Indian Wars. Included in Daniel's son John's petition of 1798 is note from an official in Upper Canada stating Daniel came to America with Montgomery's Highlanders rather than Frasers Highlanders. I is known that the two highland regiments did infact sail together from Greenock Scotland in 1757 but there is not no official British military record confirming that Daniel served with Montgomery Highlanders only the note included with his son's petition.

2. In the 1798 letter accompanying Danie's son John's Petition to the Government of Upper Canada, certifying John Livingston's father Daniel Livington's military and settlement history in New York State, Alexander Campbell J. P. states that Daniel Livingston served with the other Highland Regiment Montgomery's Highlanders and after the Revolution settled in Argyll Township, N. This oddly enough contradicts other info the son John had at the time that Daniel served with Frasers Highlanders and other info suggesting that Daniel settled at the Scotch settlement in Argyll Township area in the 1760's or 1770's in the years following the end of his military service during the French and Indian Wars and before the American Revolution. My hunch and I could be wrong but it looks to me like Daniel's 1765 land grant for his service during the French and Indian Wars from about 1757 to 1763 was located east of the Hudson River in the area of the Scotch settlement in Argyll Township at the time of 1765 still a part of old Albany County but subsequently situated in Charlotte County and later renamed Washington County, New York State which of course a township on the east side of the Hudson River near Fort Edward which a fort held by the British during the Colonial Period and not too far from Saratoga where we have info that Daniel served years later during the American Revolution in the year 1777 with Burgoynes forces at Saratoga in an unspecified regiment during that War. As mentioned it could not have been the 78th regiment of foot because it was no longer in existence by the time of the Revolutionary War and the Fraser Highland regiment the 71st formed during the American Revolution also was not with General Burgoyne at Saratoga in 1777 so it is interesting that no name if given by Daniel or his son John after Daniel Death in his two petitions as to precisely what Regiment Daniel Livingston served in with British General Burgoyne in 1777 at Saratoga.

3. The 78th regiment of Foot was later reformed years later in the 1790's but it is clear that this regiment was not one that was with General Burgoyne at Saratoga in 1777 during the British defeat at the Battle of Saratoga during the British Army's Northern Campaign into Northern New York. Daniel and his son John petitions from 19th century Upper Canada did not actually mention a specific regiment that Daniel joined in 1777 in during the Revolutionary War only that he served with the British Army for a second time supporting General Burgoyne forces at the Battle of Saratoga.
of Saratoga. I originally was confused by this but the 7 years of military service with the 78th regiment that Daniel served was definitely during the period of 1757 to 1763/1764. I should have earlier clarified that, but I was focused on researching many other Livingstons at the time. I am pretty sure that is what he is referring to in his 1793 Petition written in Upper Canada, even though I would have thought he had served from 1757 to 1763 which would have been about 6 years. Regardless I think he talking firstly of his years of military service during the French and Indian Wars. He then vaguely mentions his service during the Revolutionary War serving in an army of General Burgoyne but regrettably does not mention the number of the regiment. A later note from an Upper Canada official in his son John's Upper Canada petition of 1798 tells us that he year he joined the Army with Burgoyne was 1777, a significant detail not included in Daniel's earlier 1793 petition.

3. The note from an Upper Canada Government official on Daniel Livingston's history in America included in his son John's 1798 upper Canada Land petition includes another bit of information that has me somewhat confused in that the official states that Daniel settled in Argyll Township "after the revolution". The Revolution ended in 1783 and it seems to me from the birth info on Daniel's children born in Colonial New York Province, that many of them were born prior to the Revolution when Daniel was actually living in what was Argyll Township an area of highland Scottish settlement which included some former members of Highland regiments who had been given military land grants there in the mid 1760 following the end of the French and Indian Wars. Not sure whether this a factual error or not but does not Edwin Livingston the old family researcher go with the notion that most of the children of Daniel were born in or around old Argyll Township at the time of their birth in Charlotte County which was annexed from Albany County but later known as Washington County, New York State. I wonder if there are any surviving original birth records of Daniel's children to clarify this.

4. Prior to Daniel or Donald Livingston 1765 land grant on land "East of the Hudson River in old Albany Count there was a 1764 land grant of 250 acres on lot 66 in the Argyll Patent in Argyll Township to a old Islay Scotch settler Isabella Livingston in Albany County a Scotch settlement later located in Charlotte and later Washington County, New York State. A year later in 1765 I believe that Daniel or Donald Livingston formerly of the Frasers Highlanders 78th Regiment of Foot was located on land also "east of Hudson River in old Albany County" near to the settlers of Islay, Argyll origin of the Argyll Patent.
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

This is exemplary and outstanding work, Donald! I hope Brent is really appreciative of the work you have put in.

Kyle

Clan MacLea/Livingstone Society, Life Member
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Kyle,

Here is an interesting bit of Livingston trivia regarding Daniel Livingston.

Daniel Livingston former soldier of the 78th regiment Frasers Highlanders was one of the first "Argyllshire" highland Livingstons to settle in what became Upper Canada apparently in the year 1783 or 1784 following end of the American Revolution. Malcolm Livingston of the Garvan, Kilmallie Parish, Argyll area of Argyllshire near Fort William and the Argyll border with Inverness-shire, who settled in Nova Scotia which later in the 1800's became a province of Canada was one of the other earliest settlers in what eventually became Canada. Other Livingstons from Mull, Argyll arrived in the year 1806 with roots to Morvern and Mull, Argyll in Nova Scotia and neighbouring Island of Prince Edward Island in the Canadian maritimes and were the first Livingstons to settle these later Canadian Provinces. My ancestor Miles Livingston b. 1775, his son Donald 1796-1862 from his first marriage and a fellow boat builder possibly brother in law or cousin Donald Livingston 1791-1876 who arrived in Western British North America (Later Canada) in 1812 were the first Livingstons to settle in what later became Western Canada. So a bit of Canadian Livingston trivia.

In terms of Loyalist Livingstons that is those who supported King George during the American Revolution and the war came up to Canada there we're also a couple of other "Loyalist" Livingston families like that of Daniel Livingston are mentioned as being Loyalists who came up to Canada around that time but none that I am aware with documented information linking to Argyllshire rather than the old Livingston Manor, New York Livingston family that populated the old British province of New York many years prior to the American Revolution. Most of that old Livingston family that populated Albany and neighbouring Duchess County supported the Revolution, but it possible some of the few Loyalist Livingstons that came up from New York State may have been connected to that old Livingston family that had lived in America since the late 1600's.

If you take a look at the Upper Canada Land Petition records pertaining to Daniel Livingston and one of his eldest sons John you can see that there are some interesting details regarding Daniel Livingston included in the old documents. Some additional documents were interestingly included by Daniel's son John to verify that his father had served in the British Army in America before the revolution as well mentions that his father rejoined the British Army in 1777 during the American Revolution serving the British Army with General Burgoyne when the British were in Northern New York and Daniel was apparently at the Battle of Saratoga where Burgoyne and his Army were defeated by the American forces.

I think what I find most interesting and all of this info is interesting is that his son John years later in his second petition to Government of Upper Canada in 1835 he actually includes his father Daniel's original Military land grant document for his service during the French and Indian Wars with the 78th regiment known as Frasers Highlanders. This I think clearly proves that Daniel received his land grant in 1765 in the then Province of New York as member of that highland regiment and not with the 77th highland regiment known as Montgomery Highlanders which were known have received land in the vicinity of the Argyll Township Scotch settlement east of the Hudson River in what later became Washington County, New York but as grant indicates back in 1765 was located in the original Albany County. Curiously the son John Livingston explains the fact with his 1835 petition that on this old 1765 Military land grant of his late father it refers to him as Donald Livingston of the 78th regiment of Foot and that he was referred to as both Donald and Daniel. Not the first time I have encountered a Daniel Livingston who was also referred to as Donald in my research.

Daniel received land in the Province of New York in 1765 in what It think was in the area of the Argyll Patent however another Livingston family who had arrived in area of the Argyll Patent years earlier in the 1730's are the first "highland Argyllshire "Livingstons that i am aware of to settle in the old Province of New York years prior to Daniel. This family seems to have included a widow Isabella Livingston of the late Donald Livingston of Islay and a son? Archibald Livingston in the 1760's and 1770's. This actually is the first Livingston family in what later became (Charlotte) Washington County, New York State and arrived back in 1730's with as a settlement group of highlanders from Islay but because of complications did not officially received an official land grant until years later in 1764 in what became called the Argyll Patent. Included in list of the original highland families that were part of this original Islay Argyll settlers that received a grant of in Argyll Township was a widow Isabella Livingston wife of the late Donald Livingston who orginally arrived with her back in the 1730's. In the year 1764 along with a large number of the surviving original settlers that accompanied Lachlan Campbell from Islay Argyll in the 1730's in wishing to establish a Scotch settlement what later became known as theArgyle township or their descendant finally official received a land grant in Argyll Township. Isabella Livingston is recorded in 1764 as receiving a 250 acre grant at Lot 66 in the Argyll Patent. In 1771 there was an Archibald Livingston living in the Argyll Patent who was the son of this Isabella Livingston who was the widow of Donald Livingstone who with his wife Isabel Mcquaig first arrived in the Argyle area back in 1738. A James Livingston also arrived in the Argyle area in the late 1730's with the original settlement group from Islay but he died before the 1764 grant was made available and there was no regarding a family member receiving his grant.

" March 2, 1764. Alex McNaughton and others to the number of 107 persons, emigrants and descendants of persons now deceased who also emigrated with Capt. Lauchlin CAMPBELL from North Britain in the years 1738, 1739, and 1740 with a design to form a settlement on the northern frontier of this province, petitioned for 1000 acres for each person of them to be laid out in one tract beginning at or about the head of South Bay extending southerly to the lands petitioned for by Ebenezer LACEY and others, easterly towards N. Hampshire line, and westerly by mountains and vacant lands still vested in the Crown. The committee of his majesty's council recommended May 21st that 47,450 acres of the crown lands be given them, E. of Hudson's R., "adjoining on the S. to the 10,000 acres proposed to be granted to Donald CAMPBELL and others"

If Brent is interested in going beyond these Upper Canada Land petition documents and the book on Daniel written by a descendant of his son Duncan named Edwin A. Livingston in Canada in the 1880's. It is possible that the New York Archives has some info Daniel Livingston land transactions between 1764 and 1783 in New York State.

Special thanks goes to Barry for finding these petitions in detail and bringing them to our attention.

regards,

Donald
kiltedkiwi

Re: Dr. Livingstone

Post by kiltedkiwi »

Does anyone know the paternal grand uncles and aunts of the explorer David Livingstone?
My great great great grandmother was Ann Livingstone, said to be the daughter of a soldier who died in the French wars while her mother was pregnant with her or shortly after she was born. I am trying to find a connection because it has been passed down through our generations that Ann was in somewhat related to the explorer.
Ann married a William Stewart at Old Kilpatrick in 1834. William had a cooperage there.. Their son Robert Stewart was my great grand father.
Canadian Livingstone

Welcome to the Clan Maclea Livingstone Society Forum.

Dr. Livingstone's grandparents were Neil Livingston Sr. and Mary Morrison who were married in 1774 in Lettermore, Mull, but they were there for a only a few years and eventually moved on to the Isle of Ulva by the late 1770's apparently and then in 1792 Neil Sr. and family went to lowland Lanarkshire and to Blantyre. No information from either Dr. Livingstone or his family as to the names of his Livingston grandfather's siblings or who Neil Livingston Senior's parents were. Neil Livingston Sr. was thought to have born sometime in the 1740's prior to 1746 probably as Dr. Livingstone stated his grandfather Livingston's father (unnamed) died at the Battle of Culloden which took place in April of 1746. There does not seem to be a surviving birth or baptism record for Dr. Livingstone's grandfather the could identify the parents and indicate perhaps who his siblings were in the 18th century. Regrettably Dr. Livingstone himself did not provide much info in way of detailed family history that identified his grandfather's family members which would have most helpful given the interest of so many Livingstons worldwide in trying to determine if they are related to famous missionary, doctor and explorer.

regards,

Donald