Aharacle, Argyll; Livingston/e Marriages-Births

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Roberta Ann

Re: Aharacle, Argyll; Livingston/e Marriages-Births

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hi Kyle;

FYI, Ardnamurchan was split into 2 Parishes. As a consequence the Livingstone-McDiarmids are listed under this new Parish - Aharacle.

Regards;

Roberta
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Right you are, Roberta! Thanks for that!

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
Bachuil

Re: Aharacle - Acharacle

Post by Bachuil »

On modern maps you will find it spelt Acharacle.

A friend of mine has the estate on the river Shiel. It is a very pretty spot with a salmon river running down to the Loch with Tioram Castle nestling in the bay. http://www.moidart.org.uk/datasets/tioram.htm
The Baron of Bachuil,
Coarb of St Moluag
Chief of MacLea
Les

Post by Les »

Ardnamurchan Parish (#505) was not split into two Parishes. Prior to 1974 it was in two Counties - Argyll and Inverness-shire - the boundary/march of which was the Loch and River Sheil. Subsequent to this it was totally in Highland (Region). In the Argyll part were, under their various names, Ardnamurchan Proper/Kilchoan/Western Ardnamurchan, Aharacle/Acharacle and Strontian/Sunart. In Inverness-shire were Aharacle/Acharacle, Moidart, Arisaig and South Morar. Unlike other large Parishes it was not split in the early 1800s when QSPs (Quoad Sacra Parishes) were erected. The LDS IGI incorrectly shows Ardnamurchan Parish (#505) as Aharacle. However, it does cover the whole of the Pasrish.
========================================
Lochaber and North Argyll Family History Group - e-mail landnafhg@fsmail.net; web-site http://tinyurl.com/y6te7n
========================================
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Les,

Welcome to the Maclea Livingstone Forum. Greetings to you and the folks from the Locherber and North Argyll Family History Group.Thanks for the clarification. It sounds all a bit confusing so we appreciate someone more familiar with the area sorting it all out for us. It is helpful of you to make us aware of these details. We are undertaking a parish by parish search for Livingstone/Livingston records focusing for the moment on Argyll. I have a parish record map of what I presume were the original parishes in Argyll in the 1700's and early 1800's and it lists parish records for Aharacle births 1829-1854 marriages 1831-1854 and for Ardnamurchan Parish births and marriages 1777-1854. I am afraid that is the extent of my knowledge on the subject. Most of the Livingston records in Argyll are found in parishes in Western Argyll and regretably for the most part the Western Argyll records do not commence before the 1750's and some not before the early 1800's. I wonder if earlier parish books were lost or they did not keep records in the Parishes of Western Argyll prior to that. There are some parishes in Argyll that have records prior to the 1750's but not that many.

I am certain that we will visit your website in the future and should any Livingstones/Livingstons with roots in your locality drop by we shall certainly refer them to. We are also interested in any old Livingstone/Livingston or Mclea/Mconlea records that you may have come across in your archives.Thanks again for your help.

regards,

Donald (Livingstone) Clink
Historian
Clan Maclea Livingstone
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hi Donald;

Thanks for that information, Donald. There is this which could be of interest to some:

http://www.clanlivingstone.com/Births_Ardnamurchan.htm

Regards;

Roberta