Kildalton/Lismore connection...does this make sense

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
vkadams

Kildalton/Lismore connection...does this make sense

Post by vkadams »

Malcolm Livingston born Jan 1 1729 Kildalton
Died Mar 18 1821 West Kilpatrick
married Katharine McArthure born Aug 23 1738 Kildalton married 1758 Lismore
son Duncan born 1759 Lismore

Does this connection make sense? This is the only record during the time frame that comes up on the opr

I know that Duncan's parents are Malcolm Livingston & Kate McArthure as stated on Duncan's baptismal records
Canadian Livingstone

Re: Kildalton/Lismore connection...does this make sense

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Virginia,

Kildalton Parish on the Isle of Islay is quite a piece from the Isle of Lismore though they are both in Argyllshire. You have a copy of a record which shows a marriage between a Kildalton parish family and a Lismore Livingston family? I would be interested in acquiring a copy of that. There is a lot of detail there for early parish records. Could that information not be extracted from more than one OPR?
regards,

Donald
vkadams

Post by vkadams »

What I have:
Birth Malcolm at Kildalton
Birth Katharine at Kildalton

Birth Duncan 1759, Lismore stating the names of parents as Malcolm Livingston and Katharine McArthure

When I searched the OPR records the only Malcolm and Kate that came up for the time frame is above. I thought it was a stretch but
since the two parents were from the same area, I thought something might have drawn them to Lismore.
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Virginia,

Certainly the names and ages are about right but the Kildalton and Lismore connection doesnt make alot of sense but who can really say for certain. As far Peter Livingston's family goes all I know it that they are likely rooted with the livingstons that lived on Lismore whom were related to the Bachuil Livingstons, the family from which are Chief Baron Niall Livingstone comes from. Kildalton Parish , Isle of Islay is not particularly close to the Isle of Lismore though they are both in the County of Argyll. I guess in the end it is one of those questions that I find difficult to prove or disprove.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Virginia,

I am having some computer related technical problems that hopefully we be resolved by next week and will be able to get back to your questions.

regards,

Donald
vkadams

Post by vkadams »

Thank you Donald...I await the solution to the computer problems, in the mean time I will keep searching...vka
Canadian Livingstone

HI VIrginia,

What I can tell you is that there were McArthur's prior to 1851 living on the Island of Lismore and McArthurs living throughout Argyllshire including as you have noticed some at Kildalton as well as Kilarrow Parishes on the Isle of Islay where my highland Livingstons lived in the early 1800`s after leaving Morvern Parish. There were also we know Livingstons living on Island of Lismore mainly of them connected to the Chiefly line of the Bachuil Maclea Livingstone family of which DNA testing strongly suggests your Peter Livingston's Appin or neighbouring Lismore ancestors were somehow connected at some time or another.

Some of the later Livingstons at Kilarrow and neighbouring parishes on the Isle of Islay in the early 1800's were of Movern and Mull and some of them related to my Morvern Livingston family, but there was a family or families going by the name Livingston in Kildalton Parish according the parish records as far back as the early 1700's of which nothing precisely is known of them and their origins. Since they were there perhaps before the year 1700 I have theorised they were part of group of lowland settlers that settled on the Island prior to 1700 but I have no documented evidence that Lowland Livingstons were among these settlers.

But to get back to the original question I assume that the Livingstons and McArthurs that lived at Kildalton Parish, Islay in the early 1700's are the not the same Livingstons and McArthurs that would have been connected to that Duncan Livingston whom was baptised at Lismore in the 1750's I would not think. Hope this helps.

regards,

Donald
vkadams

Post by vkadams »

Jan 1/1759
Baptisms
Duncan, son of Malcolm Livingston and Kate McArthur, his wife, m Craiginish, was
baptized before witnesses, John McGlafsin and Duncan Livingston there.

Perhaps, even though this record is registered in Lismore it is the wrong Duncan Livingston as
it seems that the parents and child originate from Craiginish. I will continue my search.
Jill Richmond

Post by Jill Richmond »

Hi Virginia,

I have been very interested in your research regardin g Livingstons in Craignish. My family lived in Craignish from sometime between 1782 and 1790 until 1841/42. They went from the Isle of Luing to Craignish and I have often thought that there might be a family connection already in Craignish for them to choose to go there, and it is possible that this is it.

I will be back in touch about this, but I am just about to go away for a few days, so no more time at present.

Jill
Jill Richmond
Canadian Livingstone

HI Virginia,

I did not know that Malcolm Livingston and Kate McArthur were from Craignish. So they were in the Lismore Parish records but their residence at the time in 1759 when son DUncan was baptised was Craignish. Well Jill certainly knows where that is. Not too far from Appin and Lismore. That is assuming that is your Duncan that lived at the Island of Lismore and later Appin. That is to say Peter Livingston's father. It could be. I wonder if there is a marriage for Duncan Livingston and his wife Catharine McNichol, Peter Livingston's parents. They lived on the Isle of Lismore probably in the 1790's where one son was born but apparently moved into nearby Port Appin, Appin Parish by the time their son Peter was born a few years later.

regards,

Donald