Kildalton/Lismore connection...does this make sense

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
vkadams

Re: Kildalton/Lismore connection...does this make sense

Post by vkadams »

IGI Records
Malcolm Livingston
Birth about 1737 of Lismore, Argyll, Scotland
Marriage About 1758 of Lismore, Argyll, Scotland

Wife:
Katharine McArthur
Birth About 1737 of Lismore, Argyll, Scotland
Marriage About 1758 of Lismore, Argyll, Scotland

Children:
Duncan Livingston
Christening 07 Jan 1759 Lismore, Argyll, Scotland
Marlcolm Livingston
Christening 14 Oct 1769 Lismore, Argyll, Scotland
Death before 1865
I also know they had daughter Kate

I believe this is the right information regarding Duncan Livingston, father of Peter Livingston, I will keep searching for the proof. Which, I know, I may never find.....vka
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Virginia,

Your efforts to try and discover Peter Livingston's ancestors have been far from fruitless. We now know who his parents were and that they seem to have lived at Lismore prior to settling at Port Appin in neigbhouring Appin Parish in the 1790's. It certainly is possible that the Duncan Livingston born in 1759 at Lismore to Malcolm Livingston and Katharine McArthur is Peter Livingston's father. Certainly if there arent any Duncan Livingstons born in the 1760's on Lismore that would help to narrow down the possible Duncan Livingstons as candidates for Peter Livingston's father. There was also a Duncan Livingston born abt. 1769 to a Myles Livingston and Mary MacArthur. Myles or Miles (gaelic Maelmoire) was old name connected to the ancient history of the Livingston family on the Island of Lismore and area. My ancestor that came to Canada was Miles Livingston born 1775 in Morvern Parish though curiously there is a Myles Livingston baptised in 1775 of Cloichlea, Lismore son of Donald Livingston and Christian Campbell. My ancestor stated in his 1812 marriage record he was born at Morvern Parish but he could have been born in the neighbouring Lismore Parish instead if he got the information wrong from his family. His settlement records indicate he was born abt. 1775.Seems odd there are two Miles Livingstons born in the year 1775 at two Parishes beside one another but I guess that is not impossible.

regards,

Donald
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hi Virginia;

Roberta here. About Peter. Do you have an estimate on the date he was born? Is it possible that he came to Ontario?

Does 1792 sound plausible?
vkadams

Post by vkadams »

Peter was baptized April 17 1796
Peter died at Appin May 1856 buried in the churchyard there

Mother Catharine McNicol
Father Duncan Livingston

Peter was born Lismore

I am in the process of locating Peter's other siblings

I believe there are two children born at Craignish
Malcolm 1786
Duncan 1794

Donald born Tirrilagan 1793

Peter born 1796 Port Appin
I am in the process of locating the birth records for the additional siblings...the Craignish connection has helped locate the records of siblings I knew Peter had but could not verify previously.
Jewel

Post by Jewel »

Hi Virginia,

I was just going through some of my records that I have from the British Isles vital records index and noticed your Peter Livingston b. April 17, 1796 , Lismore. His parents were listed as Duncan Livingston and Catherine McNeil. I noticed you had his mother as Catherine Nichol. Don't know if this would help your research but thought I would send it along.

Jewel
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Jewel,

There are a couple of last name variations submitted for the mother's name but the original Appin parish baptismal record from 1796 when I checked it looked to me like Catharine McNicol though it is extremely difficult to read the last few letters in the name as the original ink was smudged and it ran close to the edge of the page. Later information located by myself and Virginia backs the notion that it is McNicol. I think Peters death record located by Virginia indicated the mothers name was McNicol. The son Peter was also buried by a McNicol according to his death record presumingly a relative. I also found Duncan Livingston and Catharine McNicol in an earlier Lismore baptism for their son Donald in 1793 who was born on the Isle of Lismore. Presumingly this was a brother of Peter born three years prior to Peter before the family ended up at Port Appin or Appin Parish. There were McNicols that lived on the Isle of Lismore. Peter's parents appear to have originated on the Island of Lismore and in the 1790's moved to nearby Port Appin. One older brother of Peter is I discovered was baptised on the Island of Lismore a few years prior to Peters baptism in the Appin records. I seem to recall the parents were Duncan Livingston and Catharine McNicol. The person who copied the information on Peter's baptism on our website had the name of the mother wrong. The original is difficult to read and is certainly easy to make a mistake. Virginia was able to locate Peter Livingstons death record which was helpful.

regards,

Donald