Highland Fencible Unit History

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Livingstone_PEI

Highland Fencible Unit History

Post by Livingstone_PEI »

Hi All

I had this bookmarked about the Highland Fencible Units and it is a very good read about the history of the unit. There is also mention in the beginning of the book about the discovery of the regimantal order books. Has anyone seen these books or reviewed them. The book is from the standpoint of the MacKay Clan, but there may be valuable information regarding the Livingstone clan.

http://www.archive.org/stream/oldhighla ... t_djvu.txt

Barry
Livingstone_PEI

Re: Highland Fencible Unit History

Post by Livingstone_PEI »

There are two John M'Leay's, One Alex, and one James listed in the original muster roll in the book.

Barry
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Barry,

In addition to the McLeays I studied in the parishes of Counties of Rosshire and Cromarty and noticed a few of them in remote areas of Sutherland. Sutherlands, Gunns and McKays common to this area. Some of these Sutherland families are mentioned in the article you found on the Fencibles. I am wondering if the Rosshire and Sutherland Counties Mcleays arent related. Something again that the DNA project may be able help prove or disprove.

regards,

Donald
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Just need to keep beating the bushes for McLeays and others to test! We can't prove what we can't test!

Anyone interested, drop me a line anytime!

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
rehartman

Post by rehartman »

I have looked at a bunch of the Highland Regiment Order Books. Many are repeats or overlaps. There are many gaps. I found a few Livingstones. You can find when and where they were enlisted, sometimes a physical description, transfer date and death date if they died while in service. The format is not alway the same between books. I was really looking for any Livingstones at Waterloo.
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hello Mr Hartman,

Yes I am hoping also to locate Livingston military records pertaining to Waterloo. I am researching a Napoleonic War Veteran Angus Livingston who served aboard the Channel fleet flag ship ``The Royal George`` during the Napoleonic Wars and subsequently received a land grant and settled in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia. This information I believe came from his petition for a land grant in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia. I am under the impression he was also a Chelsea Pensioner and that might be a source of information but I am not 100% certain of this. As the National Archives in Britain is undertaking to reproduce the Chelsea Pensioner records and other military records and the complete the process by 2011, I am looking forward to seeing if any info on Angus and the other Livingstons in the collection. I recently managed to find a collection of records pertaining to the ``Royal George`itself that a good part of its time at sea. ALthough it is often difficult to find info in these records of ordinary seaman I am thinking he might be a pay list or something like that. Of course some of records may be missing for the time he was on this ship and also I am not certain of the exact years he was with the `Royal George`. Despite the fact that there were several ships called the `Royal George`I was able to narrow it down to one that participated in the Napoleonic War.

I have seen bits and pieces of the CHelsea Pensioner records or some other list from the National Archives i think and there were a few highland Argyll born Livingstons recorded. Of course I am hoping we can find Dr. Livingstone`s Uncles who participated but that remains to be seen. I know that his Uncle Charles who had a promising career at the office of Mill owners was pressed into service with the Navy and died at sea much to the sadness of the family. Some say all the others died except for Dr. Livingstone`s father Neil who did not serve but I dont know that to be true. One other Uncle I have heard died. ONe is not likely to find a death record kept by the miltary however I am told for them.

regards,

Donald