Angus Parishes/Towns

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Roberta Ann

Angus Parishes/Towns

Post by Roberta Ann »

Brechin, Angus. All first names are Livingston/es

Elspit c April 17, 1666 d/o James, Catharine Walker
Magdalen c Oct 30, 1651"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
Catharine c Feb 19, 1671 """""""""""""""""""""""""""""
Patrik c June 30, 1658""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
David c June 17, 1663""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
Margaret c Apr 12, 1650""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
Margaret c Mar 24, 1655""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

Catharine c Dec 17, 1632 d/o David, Marie Hume
Beatrix c Dec 6, 1625-------""""""""""""""""""""""""""
Patrik c Oct 21, 1634-------""""""""""""""""""""""""""
Margaret c Feb 22, 1631---""""""""""""""""""""""""""
David c Feb 16, 1627-------```````````````````

James c June 16, 1622 s/o John, Helene Ogilvie
Margaret c Feb 2, 1631"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

Barbra c May 8, 1634 d/o James, Jean Ramsay

Agnes c Feb 18, 1629 d o Alexander, Sibilla Lyell
Agnes c Mar 11, 1631-----```````````````````
Elspit c Jan 26, 1632 ----````````````````````
Alexander c Sept 11, 1632```````````````````
Roberta Ann

Re: Angus Parishes/Towns

Post by Roberta Ann »

Brechin......

Alexander c June 2, 1627 s/o Alexander, Isobel Leitch

Margaret c May 3, 1642 d/o William, Bessie Cant

Margaret c Mar 11, 1654 d/o David, Magdelan Man or Durrhame married in Dun, Oct 20, 1650

There are no marriages listed for Brechin; in this time period.

******In the 1400's Brechin was hit with the Black Death and later in 1648 it was hit with the disease again that killed almost two thirds of the entire population. Bubonic plague was the result of people being so improvished that they turned to eating from the refuse people had thrown away. Not only was this unsanitary but, the eating of decomposing food and meat and dirty water; lead to one of the most devastating pestilence's to hit this town. People would begin to experience delirium, fever, lumps called buboes; that easily spread to others through human contact and fluids.

End
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Thanks for the list, Roberta!

Just to clarify, the bubonic plague, since it enters the body through the skin via the lymphatics, was usually, as far as I know, transmitted by fleas from infected rats:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubonic_plague

Then, once the lungs are infected it becomes contagious through the aerosol route, known as pneumonic plague:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pneumonic_plague

Just FYI.

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hi Kyle;

Thank you for that clarification.
Terrifying just to imagine. Thanks to modern medicine and all the people who are involved in the research for new and better drugs that cure these terrible diseases.

I read that article on the Brechin site.

Roberta

Dundee, Argus

Elizabeth c Dec 8 1671 d/o John, Elizabeth or Elspeth Straton
David c Jan 19, 1669 ---"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
Margaret c Jan 9, 1673""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
John c Mar 4, 1674-----""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
Agnes c Mar 22, 1675--""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
William c May 4, 1676--"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
James c Feb 2, 1651---s o James, Mother not listed
Christian c May 1, 1698 d o James, Janet Ramsay

There are no marriages listed for this time period.
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Dundee later marriages

Helen m John Crab June 25, 1767
John m Catharine Finlay Nov 15, 1765
Alison m James Rob June 24, 1783
James m Mary Ingram Nov 30, 1779
Elisth m Joseph Gray Aug 29, 1768

Forfar

Charles c Oct 10, 1783 s/o John, Anne Donald
Anne c Nov 9, 1785 d/o John, Anne Donald
John c July 22, 1788 s/o John, Anne Donald
John c Dec 24, 1790 s/o John, Anne Donald
John c June 4, 1812 s/o John, Elizabeth Webster
Ann c Jan 16, 1814 d/o ****************************
Elizabeth c Nov 29, 1815 d/o *********************
May ross c July 31, 1818 d/o *********************

Dun

David m Magdalen Durrhame Oct. 20, 1650
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Montrose, Angus

Katharine m Harry Wishart Sept 7, 1671
Anna m Alexander Beattie June 30, 1674

Christiane c Dec 24, 1693,d/o John, Jean Ogilvie
Alexander c Dec 28, 1677, s/o James, Mother not named

Saint Vigeans

Jean c Sept 20, 1773 d/o John, Ann Hosie
John c Aug 3, 1737 d/o John, Ann Hosea

Sorn Parish

Angus b Angus-shire 1745 m Christian Cameron born Of, Kilninian 1745; married in Kilninian, Argyll Feb 1, 1773; I also found Salem, Mull as the place of the marriage.
Children
John b Dec 20 c Dec 25, 1773, Kilninian, Argyll
Hugh c Oct 15, 1776, Sorn
Lauchlan c Jun 2, 1779, Sorn
Duncan c July 6, 1782, Sorn
Mary c Oct 10, 1784, Sorn
Duncan c June 17, 1787, Sorn

Is Sorn in Angus or, as I found it, in Ayr?
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Roberta,
That is interesting about the plague. My great-great-great Uncle was a physician who settled in the Grimsby/Stoney Creek area in the 1790's and before that specialized in early Small Pox innoculation in New York State in the 1780's. There were a few doctors in New York State in the late 1700's familiar with an early method of small pox innoculation. During the Revolution, George Washington had his troops innoculated to try an prevent the spread of small pox which would have devastated his army. It was however a somewhat primitive process and not entirely foolproof process of injecting the patient with the blood of an inffected cow and while it prevented many from getting full blown small pox others did not fair so well.

The Sorne your looking at in those records is actually located in Mull. In it is Northern Mull as recall from a map of the area so that it was likely in Kilninian and Kilmore Parish. Salen which I think you mean is located near Tobermory Both places I think is in Kilninian and Kilmore likely not too far from where you own ancestor and those Livingstons who settled in Boularderie, Cape Breton had their roots. It is pretty clear that both your ancestor John Livingston and Angus Livingston of early Cape Breton both originated from somewhere in Northern Mull in Kilninian and Kilmore Parish. The fact that old Angus named his pioneer homestead "Kilninian" and your ancestor John Livingston named his "Staffa" is to my way of thinking as good a clue as were going to get as to the likely origins of both early Cape Breton Livingston pioneers. Kilninian clearly refers to the parish in Northern Mull where Angus likely originated and Staffa is a scenic uninhabited island in the same parish.

regards,

Donald
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hi Donald;

Thank you for that information. Plagues was obviously a scary thing in the time of our ancestors, all right.
Regarding Angus and his second application for a land grant; he said his age was 53 in 1826: which would make him born 1773. I wonder if he was the son of Angus and Christian Cameron. They had a son born 1773, John. I was thinking that since he was their first son that maybe he name was John Angus. Angus and Christian's information does not record an Angus; which would have been usual in the naming tradition, I thought. His son Lauchlan born June 2, 1779 resigned his grant and "has gone to Europe". Archibald petitioned to take over his "brothers" lot after he left. Anyway I was curious when I transcribed the birth of John, son of Angus, born in Dec 1773. Are we ever going to figure-out who's whom in the Cape Breton-P. E. I. mystery.

Regards;

Roberta
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Roberta,

According to the Angus Livingston b. 1773 of Boularderie info his eldest son Laughlin that went back to Europe was born about 1799. I think this was from the Ann Capstick Info. I think she is probably a descendant of old Angus. I noticed some months ago that you found a baptismal record for a Laughlin Livingston baptised 1779 at Kilinian and Kilmore a son of ANgus and Christian Livingston but this would not be our ANgus of Boularderie. However perhaps this Laughlin born in 1779 was his brother. and this ANgus and Christian old ANgus Livingston`s parents back in Mull. Just a thought but no proof. The name Laughlin suggests that he might be younger brother of ANgus of Cape BReton if he was baptised in 1779 remembering that old ANgus was born about 1773 or something like that. He is no doubt connected to one of these Northern Mull , Kilninian and Kilmore parish Livingston families.

regards,

Donald