Livingstons at Lot 31, QUeens County, PEI

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Canadian Livingstone

Re: Livingstons at Lot 31, QUeens County, PEI

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Barry,

My understanding is that these Livingstons were not apart of the original group of Selkirk Settlers that arrived in 1803 aboard the Polly,Oughton and one other vessel. There was an old centential settlement list from the early 1900's that did not include any Livingstons or the family in particular that I am referring to that located themselves on Lot 65 and Lot 31.. This was puzzling to me given that we know that Donald, his brothers and his father from Mull according to John Collins arrived in 1806 from Tobermory Mull aboard the Brig Rambler and at the very least the son Donald did according to the records as you and JOhn mentioned acquired land from Lord Selkirk.

. Kudos to the author of the Silver Chief for including a list that include Donald Livingston's son Donald born about 1780. John was able to further verify from the 1841 and 1848 records that infact that this Donald Livingston JR. and his family were still living on a parcel of land in Lot 31 which helps to sort who was where. I actually have the "Silver Chief" but have not looked at it lately. The 1848 Census for Lot 31 indicates that a Donald Livingston over 60 years of age is living at Dog River.

So I guess it looks like Donald Livingston's son by virtue of the fact he purchased or leased land from Lord Selkirk located on Lot 31 is a Selkirk Settler of sorts. I dont think we will ever find documentation proving that he, his sibblings and parents arrived in PEI because of Lord Selkirk but I would think it safe to say that Donald Jr. settled on land that was acquired from Lord Selkirk at the time of the establishment of the settlement there. We know that there are passenger records from the ship that Donald Livingston Jr. his sibbling and his father and Mother were on in 1806 which is helpful but do we know that were recruited by Lord Selkirk to settle in PEI or Donald Jr. after arriving just happened to purchase land from Lord Selkirk as the opportunity arose. In any event I think Donald's son is according to the author of the Silver Chief based on the list she has a Selkirk Settler and think we should go with that dont you think? I had no doubt that he purchased land from Lord Selkirk but then Lord Selkirk acquired a huge amount of land in PEi so I wondering if everyone who purchased or leased land from Lord Selkirk in 1806 or 1807 is technically considered to be a Selkirk Settler or just those who purposely journied to the settlement with the intention to settle on Lord Selkirk's land holding or in the vicinity. Of course perhaps that was the intention of DOnald Livington Jr. his sibbling and his parents.

That being said you certainly have helped to add some clarity to the murkiness of this and it certainly looks like Donald Livingston Jr. on Lot 31 at Clyde or DOg River could be considered to be a Selkirk Settler by virtue of acquiring land from Lord Selkirk in 1806 or 1807 but not of that original Selkirk Settlement group that arrived in 1803. They certainly could have motivated to come to Queens County, PEI by the knowledge that Selkirk was encoraging Scots to settle on his land, given that came after Selkirk acquired the land in 1803. Perhaps you could ask the Belfast PEI historical Society whether they consider Donald Livingston Jr. who acquired land from Lord Selkirk in 1806 as a Selkirk Settler given that he and his kin were not aboard those three ships that first arrived with Selkirk Settlers in 1803.

regards,

Donald
Livingstone_PEI

Post by Livingstone_PEI »

Not yet Kyle, but gonna try to see if I can make it a greater family project for the summer.

Barry
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Mornin' Donald;

Re: Lot 31
October 9, 1805. Northern Friend from Stornaway to Flat River, P.E.I.
---------------------Brig - 91 Passengers bound for Lord Selkirk's settlement in Lot 31.

Roberta
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Barry,

It would be terrific to have a Livingston from the Whycocomagh Livingstons tested.
regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Roberta,
Copies of Lord Selkirks original papers that were destroyed in a fire in Scotland are in the Ottawa archives and I suspect that there is some detailed info on his Prince Edward Island settlement project. I have a few books on Lord Selkirk which may have some more info.
Time for me to get out my copy of "Silver Chief". I also have the book written by the same author on PEI scottish settlement which may have some info on the Selkirk Settlement in PEI.

I wonder if Barry can find any info Donald Livingston and his family of Lot 31 Dog river from the Belfast PEI Historical Society or the PEI archives.

regards,

Donald
Livingstone_PEI

Post by Livingstone_PEI »

Hi Donald

The first meeting of the year for the historical society is the 4th Thursday in May. I hope to be there, but just depends on my schedule. The last time I was there, there is talk of a historical centre being looked at for the area. I'm sure the Selkirk settlers will be a major part of this initiative. I just hope we can include the history of the Livingston family in this if it comes to fruition. I do know there are some people that attend from Charlottetown and I am armed with much more information than last year. Looking forward to it, but just waiting for my new work schedule to come out.

I'm hoping to get back to the archives, but looks like my next week off is all tied up with chores around home. I like to take a whole day when I go. I find that a few hours just isn't enough, so we will see.

Barry
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Barry,

It would be interesting how they classify Donald and Mary Llivingstons son Donald jr.b. 1781 at Morvern who received land 1806/1807 at Lot 31 this lot being owned by Lord Selkirk. It appears that this was at a place called Dog or Clyde River. The 1863 map I think shows a son or grandson John Livingston at Dog River. Perhaps we will make contact with the descendants someday. Do they consider this Donald Llivington Jr. a Selkirk Settler though he and his Livingston family his father and sibbling did not arrive with the 1803 group of Selkirks from Scotland. His father Donald Livington Sr. born abt. 1850 was located in Lot 65 which though nearby does not seem to have been acquired by Lord Selkirk from what I can tell anyways.Those would be my questions to ask them. Thats great that there is meeting coming up soon with the historical society. Hope you can make it.

Congratulations on becoming a grandfather.

regards,

Donald