Livingstons at Lot 31, QUeens County, PEI

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Canadian Livingstone

Livingstons at Lot 31, QUeens County, PEI

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

I am wondering if Barry or anyone recalls seeing a land record in the PEI archives from the early 1800's for a parcel of land in Lot 31, QUeens County, PEI acquired by Donald Livingston. I would be interested in learning what detailed information is included in the original document regarding this land transaction, grantor, information on grantee etc. In particular I am trying to determine/ verify through an original land document from the PEI Archives that Donald Livingston of Nine Mile Creek, QUeens County, PEI also acquired land in the early 1800's in LOt 31 possibly in the Clyde or Dog River area. I think this land record may have mentioned before and if so I would like to see if we access the original document.

regards,

Donald
Roberta Ann

Re: Livingstons at Lot 31, QUeens County, PEI

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hi Donald;

According to http://www.islandregister.com/proprietors.html

Lot 31 Adam Drummond, Esq.(M.P.) after 1775, Thomas DesBrisay, Lieutenant-Governor of the Island. In 1781 it was sold for arrears (to DesBrisay ?), then by 1806, it was sold by John Drummond to the Earl of Selkirk.

Regards;

Roberta
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Roberta,

Thanks for that. So no doubt Lot 31 was in Lord Selkirk's possession by 1806. Excellent. I know that Donald Livingston of Nine Mile Creek Lot 65 was at Lot 65 in 1806, but seem to recall another land transaction stating that he also received land situated in Lot 31. We know that some of his family lived on land in that Lot, but I thought that we had located a land record from the PEI archives that mentioned Donald Livingston acquiring that lot in the early 1800's. I may be able find the information by going through previous posts of Barry. I know that Lot 31 Clyde and Dog River is mentioned in regards to Donald Livingston's relatives on the internet but I was hoping we could verify that with a land document in the PEi archives. I think perhaps Barry has seen it or maybe you or Jewel found info on the Lot 31 livingston land transaction

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Roberta,

Ok now it is all beginning to make sense. There were two related Donald Livingstons that obtained land in the 1806/1807 period. THe first was Donald Livingston born 1750/1751 of Morvern. That was for land at Lot 65, Queens County, PEI. The other Donald Livingston land transaction was a parcel of land of Lord Selkirks located on Lot 31 at Clyde or Dog River. That Donald Livingston seems to have been Donald Livingston Jr. born about 1780 or 1781 the older Donald's son. This Donald infact shows up in an 1841, and 1848 at Clyde River in Lot 31 apparently by this point had switched from the Presbyterian church to that of the Baptist Church one of which was located at CLyde River. Shouldl be able to track Donald Jr, his wife Flora McPhail and family in later records at Lot 31. John Collins has done extensive research on this Lot 31 Livingston family from which this info is derived. So now I have figured out why I am seeing two Donald Livingston Land transactions in the 1806/1807 period. Donald's married son Donald and his wife Flora McPhail acquired land from Lord Selkirk around 1806/ 1807 at Lot 31, CLyde or Dog River area. Now if Barry has a chance to locate the original in the PEI archives that would be great. I would think it might have been a lease agreement rather than a Bill of sale from Lord Selkirk but the PEI archives might be able sort that out. After Lord Selkirk died of TB in France in the 1820's Lot 31 continued to be in his families possession I see.

These Livingstons arent recorded or officially recognised as PEI Selkirk Settlers, but it would seem that Donald Livingston Jr. acquired land from Lord Selkirk about a year after the originall Selkirk Settlers arrived. At first I assumed that Donald Livingston Sr. was a Selkirk Settler given that he arrived in 1806 but I am not certain that he was or that he received his land on Lot 65 from Lord Selkirk. I have not seen that Lot 65 is part of Lord Selkirk land that he acquired in PEI though it is adjacent to Lot 31 and other lots which were to be sure acquired by Lord Selkirk in 1806. I was hoping to get an oppinnion from a PEI archivist on this. As it stands neither Donald Sr. on lot 65 or his son Donald on Lot 31 which was a Selkirk lot to be sure are listed as official PEI selkirk settlers and not included in the old list. That being said the son Donald certainly has a Selkirk connection worth noting. I just have found no tangible proof that they came to PEI in 1806 as Selkirk Settlers. Donald Sr. seems to have persuaded his entire family to leave Mull in 1806 and settle in Queens County, PEI. John Collins has done some fine work of tracing this family before and after they settled in PEI. Kudos to John.

regards,

Donald

Guess there is an interest in these Livingstons from Morvern and Mull because one of their descendants is my Livingston families closest DNA match.
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hi Donald;

Could you, please, go to http://www.islandregister.com/letters/1803suckles.html

Being mindful of the fact that Lot 31 contained about 22,000 acres.

Moreover, I believe that the John Livingston; mentioned above, is the same John Livingston who acquired land from William Creed in Providence, Rhode Island around the same time as in the above information.

Also, re: Lord Selkirk, go to http://www.islandregister.com/colonsay_selkirk.html

Regards;

Roberta
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Roberta,

John Livingston circa 1803 is somewhat of a mystery. I have not got any farther on him than Barry did I should think. Barry has I think some theories as to John's wife and family that are promising. Whether or not John or the Donald and Mary Livingston and their famliy that settled at Nine Mile Creek Lot 65 had any connection to this John Livingston who was in PEI before them I cant say. Clearly John was there before Donald. I guess I am for my part following the information trail and trying to take a look a land record for Donald's son Donald at Clyde or Dog River, Lot 31 circa 1807.

I was hoping to follow through on Donald and Mary and his decendants based on John Collins research. John Collins seems to believe that Donald and Mary's son Donald Jr.born abt. 1780 probably lived for about a year with his father and sibling at Nine mile Creek Lot 65 and then purchased land from Lord Selkirk around 1807 at Lot 31 Clyde River and he found in 1841, and 1848 records that this Donald Jr. and his family was there. I am just curious as to seeing if we can located a land record in the PEI Archives indicating that a Donald Livingston purchased or was leased land around 1807 on a portion of Lot 31 as indicated by John Collins. All of this is part of attempt to better understand what happened to Donald and Mary's family after they arrived in the year 1806 in QUeens COunty, PEI. Checking out John's research I thought was a good starting point. As Barry visits the PEI archives from time to time he may be able to dig up the record I am looking for.

As far as I can tell Donald and Mary who were natives of Movern that lived at Mull arrived in the same year as that Colonsay group of Selkirks but they and their family dont seem to be recorded as being PEI Selkirk Settlers in any PEI list that I have seen. I should think the local historians would have included Livingstons with these other settlers.This is something I was curious about given that they settled around the same time and in the neighbouring area. I am not an expert on the Selkirk Settlement in PEI or even early PEI history but I should think that there is someone with expertise on the Selkirk Settlers and his settlement in PEI. From my standpoint I am hoping to to verify that Donald's son did purchase or lease land from Lord Selkirk in 1807 or thereabouts at Lot 31. Then I go from there with that. John seems to think that he did. So I guess I am taking a look at this information.

There were clearly a significant number of highland Livingstons that settled in PEI and Nova Scotia in the 1800's, but how one conclusively determines whether or not they were related I am not certain beyond perhaps DNA testing. I think its great that we are making contact with descendants of Nova Scotia and PEi Livingtons and if they can provide with any family tree info that would be great to add to whatever we already know about their pioneer ancestors. It was nice to hear from descendants of the Boularderie, Cape Breton Livingstons.
regards,

Donald
Livingstone_PEI

Post by Livingstone_PEI »

Hi All

Oh another thread can help out with :-)

On a side note....I had a new granddaughter last night. Alexia Judson, born in Moncton, N.B.

Donald of lot 31 is recorded as a Selkirk settler in the Silver Chief.

http://books.google.ca/books?id=eClYgL7 ... rk&f=false

When you look at this, it is interesting to note three names of interest. There is a John Livingston, Donald Livingston, and an Archibald Murray.

In Belle River, the community next to me, in the pioneer cemetery, there is a John Livingston of Colonsay, and his wife Margaret MacLeod, from the Isle of Skye. John Livingston died in 1864. This family of MacLeods may be the same as http://www.linneberg.com/skye/leodpei.html and http://www.islandregister.com/macdonaldskye2.html.

Also of interest is Archibald Murray of Wood Islands, where in the 1891 PEI census, my GGGrandfather's son, a second John Livingston and his wife were living with them. Is there a connection? John is listed as a stone cutter in the census. Is the Silver Chief Archibald Murray the same Archibald Murray? I can't find any proof of that, but may stumble upon something sometime.

I will have to digest the previous posts in this thread and compare it to my notes. I will get back to everyone on this.

Barry
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Congrats on the new granddaughter!

And the new finds!

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
Livingstone_PEI

Post by Livingstone_PEI »

Thanks Kyle

Oh and I also found this out about my close family. In my Mom's family, I have two first cousins out of 32 that are male and have the Livingstone name. Up until now they have not had any children. I have found out that one of my cousins is going to have a baby and I hope it is a boy lol....we need somone to carry on the Livingstone name.

Barry
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

That would be nice, Barry!

I forget--has your line been DNA tested already?

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com