Highlands Ranch Colorado Scottish Festival and Highland Game

Public Forum for discussion or comments on Gatherings around the world. This could include Clan gatherings or other Scottish or Highland festivals.
Forum rules
Any Clan, Scottish, or Highland Gathering can be discussed here.
Kyle MacLea

Re: Highlands Ranch Colorado Scottish Festival and Highland Game

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Elekaye wrote:And did you see who wrote the article - one Phil Livingston - a relation of Chuck's?? --Kaye
Kaye, I didn't notice that! We should try to contact Phil too! If anyone gets in touch with him, point him my way!

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

D.W.Livingston wrote:The actual blog is in "The Livingston County News" in New York. Bet there are a lot of the New York Livingston's there. :D
When Jerry and I encountered someone in Alexandria in Livingston tartan, he definitely thought himself related to the New York/Lowland House. But our research has pointed that most Livingston/es are probably Highlanders.

Either way--a big thing is to make sure that both lowlander and highlander have a home in our Clan and Clan Society. We have a bond of affection and at least a hypothesized actual relationship. People of both groups should be welcome here and in our groups and gatherings.

So, please spread the word to both! :)

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
New Hampshire, USA
Greg Livingston

Post by Greg Livingston »

Just a little reminder for those in Colorado or visiting here this week. Here is chance to visit your clan tent and enjoy a festival. The Colorado Scottish Festival and Rocky Mountain Highland Games will be Saturday and Sunday, August 14th and 15th at the Highlands Heritage Park, 9651 S. Quebec St, Highlands Ranch, Colorado. The 10th Anniversary of the World Masters will also be here, which will be the first time the Masters will be in Colorado. This time you will get to meet your Clan Commissioner as well as your Games Coordinator. We look forward to seeing you there!
Greg Livingston
Clan Commissioner
Northglenn, Colorado, USA
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Greg and I had a great time at the Highlands Ranch Colorado Scottish Festival (47th Annual) and the Masters World Championships which were held there. We'll give a fuller report later--I'm still exhausted--but suffice to say we represented the Clan, and I believe quite well. There will also be a full report in the next issue of The Parnassus for Clan Society members.

We'll post some pictures to the Gallery when we get the chance. I'll include a link here when we have.

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
New Hampshire, USA
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Hello Clansmen and Friends!

We've posted some photos from our Clan excursion to the Colorado Scottish Festival in Highlands Ranch, Aug 14-15, 2010.

http://www.clanlivingstone.info/copperm ... p?album=24

I've posted a more complete gallery of photos, available to Clan Society members (only) here:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1057

If you are supposed to have access to the Members Forum and you do not--please let me know ASAP!

Enjoy!

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
New Hampshire, USA
Greg Livingston

Well, this festival is off to a great start. My wife and I were up in Estes Park last night setting the tent up so that it would be ready when Kyle arrived this morning. The first thing we do is set up the tent with the large banner. As soon as we started putting things under the tent there was a guy taking a picture of the banner. Naturally I started talking with him and he had just sent a picture to a friend of his who just happened to be a Livingston, no e, and was telling him he needed to get to the games this weekend. He also commented that his friend had traced his family back to Scotland. Hopefully he does come up to visit and joins the Clan Society.
Greg Livingston
Clan Commissioner
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Indeed, excited that we will meet him when he shows up at Estes Park! Let's hope so!

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
New Hampshire, USA
Greg Livingston

Wow. I don't know about Kyle but my feet are killing me from this past weekend. I will be putting together a better review later but this will do for now.

After a total brain melt down on Friday, I finally made it back up to Estes about 5 PM, just in time to help close up for the night. Thanks to Kyle and my sister Laura for taking care of things in the tent on Friday. Kyle and I met at the tent about 8 am to get ready for the parade and my melt down continued (more about that in the larger post). We got back to the tent in just enough time to inhale food and go to the opening parade. One quick note, for a larger festival that has more going on we do need at least 3 people for the tent and some type of schedule so that no one person has to spend all day at the tent and not see what else is going on. More on this later. Kyle needed to get home so he left at 5 pm but there was still much to do. There was a clan pot-luck dinner followed by a Calling of the Clans at sunset and interaction with members of other clans well into the late evening. Sunday morning started a little later. There was a Kirking of the Tartan at noon and constant people through the tent the same as on Saturday. We took down the tent at closing and were out of there between 5 and 5:30 that evening.

I don't know about Kyle but I was on my feet from the time we got there Saturday morning until way late at night and then again from 8:30 on Sunday until after we closed up the tent on Sunday.

I will have a step by step and some pictures this week including a fly over by an ex-RAF plane at noon each day.
Greg Livingston
Clan Commissioner
robert-law

Post by robert-law »

There’s nothing quite like sleeping under Colorado’s stars. You’ll find hundreds of campsites and campgrounds located around the state.
robert
Greg Livingston

Too true, Robert. BUT, I have an advantage up there in that my parents live in Estes :D
Greg Livingston
Clan Commissioner