Cowal Highland Games

Public Forum for discussion or comments on Gatherings around the world. This could include Clan gatherings or other Scottish or Highland festivals.
Forum rules
Any Clan, Scottish, or Highland Gathering can be discussed here.
jmlivingstone

Cowal Highland Games

Post by jmlivingstone »

Cowal Highland Games, Dunoon, Argyllshire, 29 Aug. - 31st. Aug., apparently this is the biggest highland games in the world,

John

http://www.cowalgathering.com/spectators.php
Kyle MacLea

Re: Cowal Highland Games

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Will you attend, John?

Kyle
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Kyle,

Although it's only around 4-5 miles across the river from where I live, I doubt if I will attend, it's too big for my liking, I believe they are expecting in the region of 25 - 30,000 spectators,

John
Greg Livingston

Post by Greg Livingston »

John,

Sounds like a good sized festival. Two of the ones here in Colorado that I go to reach to 30 to 75,000 visitors, not including participants. I agree that the large ones seem to become less intimate so that it becomes just a big crowd. I would like to hear more about what is showcased there, athletics and music aside.

Thank you,
Greg
Greg Livingston
Clan Commissioner
Northglenn, Colorado, USA
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Greg,

Sorry about the long delay in replying, unfortunately, I do not have an answer, I know it runs for three days, ending with a parade of over 3000 pipers & drummers through Dunoon, the local town.
This an area familiar to many Americans, as it used to be home to a USN Polaris submarine base for many years.
I hate admitting how little I know about these games, sorry I couldn't be of more use, I'll make an exception this year, & be sure to get some photos to post on the site of the final days events,

John
Greg Livingston

Thank you, John. It would be great to see those pictures and hear about what you see there.
Greg Livingston
Clan Commissioner
livingstoneancestry

Post by livingstoneancestry »

Here in the US< I believe, the largest maybe Pleasanton (and the oldest). Clan MacLea (Livingstone) will have a tent there this year. I've heard previously their attendance can reach over 90K. Although they and Grandfather Mtn Games, coming up this coming weekend seem to think they're the largest, not the other... hard to see everything when they're that spread out.

Suzanne
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Greg,

Unfortunately, due to a knee injury, I did not manage to get to the Cowal games, just have to try again next year,

John
Greg Livingston

Sorry to hear about the knee, John. Taking care of that is more important than getting to any festival or games. Hope it heals quickly.
Greg Livingston
Clan Commissioner