Flags and Banners at Highland Games

Public Forum for discussion or comments on Gatherings around the world. This could include Clan gatherings or other Scottish or Highland festivals.
Forum rules
Any Clan, Scottish, or Highland Gathering can be discussed here.
D.W.Livingston

Flags and Banners at Highland Games

Post by D.W.Livingston »

Hello Everyone,

I am going to be doing the Tucson Highland Games again this year in November. I just got the paperwork from the Association which got me thinking about setting up the Tent right this year, instead of feeling rushed like past years.

Looking online I see that people have stands with the American Flag, Scotland Flag, and usually the Clan Tartan. I was wondering if people have seen where other clans, whose Chief is not at the Festival, would use something like the Banner, Standard, or Pinsel to add to the Tent?

Thank you for any ideas on this.
David
David Wyse Livingston
Tucson, Arizona, United States
Kyle MacLea

Re: Flags and Banners at Highland Games

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Hi David,

They are very expensive to have made in proper Scottish fashion, as I have thought about getting one for the Commissioner to bring with him to games he attends, but I can't afford it now. It might be possible to make one, but it would not be an easy task. There could also be lower cost alternatives with different materials. Perhaps the Chief might have some suggestions, we can see what he thinks. Also he knows a lot better than me what is appropriate for display.

Greg has lots of ideas/experience with other types of banners used at Games events as well.

Kyle
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
Greg Livingston

Post by Greg Livingston »

Most clans have a banner for the tent that has the name of their clan. There might also be tartan and/or the clansmans badge on the banner. This would typically be about 2 ft by 10 ft. Their tartan flags would be either just the tartan or have the name and/or the clansmans badge. Some are on just a single pole displayed similar to any other state or country flag. Others on some type of "T" pole and shaped either rectangular or a shield design. These are just some of the types of flags and banners I've seen.
Greg Livingston
Clan Commissioner
Northglenn, Colorado, USA
Greg Livingston

David,

I just looked at your original post again and have a few more comments for you. The Standard and Banner are the Chief's so can not be flown at any games/festival if he is not in attendance. The Pinsel can only be flown by those persons the Chief authorizes, the Clan Commissioner for example.

Other flags that you could fly would be your state flag, the Appin Banner which our Clan fought under and saved at the Battle of Culloden. there are probably others but I can't think of them right now.
Greg Livingston
Clan Commissioner
D.W.Livingston

Post by D.W.Livingston »

Thank you Greg,

I decided to go safe.. I got the National and Lion Flags, as well as the US Flag. I also have the typical 2 X 10 banner we have been using. I had thought the Standard and Banner was for the Chief only. :) Thank you for all the clarification.
This Year is going to be great fun!
David Wyse Livingston
Tucson, Arizona, United States
Greg Livingston

Any time, David. That is why I am here, to assist with any questions you have regarding how to set up your tent. If you send an email to games(at)clanlivingstone.com I will send you some more information that I have which is too long to include here.
Greg Livingston
Clan Commissioner