Long's Peak Scottish Irish Highland Festival

Public Forum for discussion or comments on Gatherings around the world. This could include Clan gatherings or other Scottish or Highland festivals.
Forum rules
Any Clan, Scottish, or Highland Gathering can be discussed here.
Kyle MacLea

Long's Peak Scottish Irish Highland Festival

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Hello, clansmen! I will be attending at least part of the Long's Peak Scottish Irish Highland Festival here in Colorado (Estes Park). It is Sept 10-13, 2009.

http://www.scotfest.com/Scottish_Festival/Home.html

If anyone else is going, drop a line. I'll be wearing my Livingstone Modern WR1003 kilt! I'd love to meet any clansmen who happen to be there. I'm also going to try to put together an info sheet about our growing clan presence online and our effort to organize a Society. If anyone else is interested in helping with that effort, let me know and we can coordinate. Then, we can make it available to anyone who wants to use. I'll drop off copies at the other clan tents and introduce myself. Then, when others go to other Games or events, we can distribute our literature so as to hopefully bring some people in to our Forum and Society!

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
Greg Livingston

Re: Long's Peak Scottish Irish Highland Festival

Post by Greg Livingston »

Kyle,
I had been wondering where in Colorado you moved to, now I know. We "met" on XMarks and I haven't seen you on there for a while.

I moved to Estes Park in May and have worked at the Games here for the last 10 or 12 years. Drop me an email and let's see if we can get together before the Games.

Greg
Greg Livingston
Clan Commissioner
Northglenn, Colorado, USA
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Kyle,

Tartan WR1003 rules! Dont forget your camera for the event. You could do a search and locate all the Livingstons in Colorado. Perhaps there are some like yourself with an interest in their highland origins.

regards,

Donald
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Greg Livingston wrote:Kyle,
I had been wondering where in Colorado you moved to, now I know. We "met" on XMarks and I haven't seen you on there for a while.

I moved to Estes Park in May and have worked at the Games here for the last 10 or 12 years. Drop me an email and let's see if we can get together before the Games.

Greg
Sorry, Greg, I didn't see this message until now. Yes--let's try to connect! PM me if I forget!

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
New Hampshire, USA
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Canadian Livingstone wrote:Tartan WR1003 rules! Dont forget your camera for the event. You could do a search and locate all the Livingstons in Colorado. Perhaps there are some like yourself with an interest in their highland origins.
I'll definitely take lots of pictures! I would love to run into some others, including Greg!

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
New Hampshire, USA
Greg Livingston

Post by Greg Livingston »

There was quite the range of weather over the weekend; cloudy but nice on Friday, so cold and rainy on Saturday that a lady from Scotland told me it was worse than at home, so nice and sunny on Sunday that I ended up with a minor sunburn. :lol: Kyle and I did not get a chance to meet on Saturday which was the day he came up.

Since I am a Steward for the piping competition, I was working from about 1 PM till close and then again on Sunday from 8:30 AM to 3:30 PM. I was able to get over to the clan tents on Saturday just before everyone left and picked up information for registration for next year. I was talking to the Clan Coordinators and there was someone other than Kyle and myself that was looking to register Clan Livingstone for next year. He had not talked with them but with someone at the main stage. At this time, I am their contact for Clan Livingstone but I can always change that to Kyle.

With the rain this year, attendence was down considerably from last year and the number of pipe bands was down as well. The 1st Battalion Scots Guard was our only Grade 2, Wasatch from Utah our only Grade 3 and we had 6 Grade 4 bands. As usual, the Colorado Youth Pipe Band was outstanding and at the head of the Grade. Looks to me like they are right on the cusp of moving up to Grade 3. I didn't get the chance to watch the heavy athletics for very long since it was just raining too much for me. I would have not liked slipping around trying to throw on Saturday. With the weather like it was, I didn't take my camera on Saturday and knew I'd be too busy on Sunday.

Greg
Greg Livingston
Clan Commissioner
Northglenn, Colorado, USA
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Greg Livingston wrote:There was quite the range of weather over the weekend; cloudy but nice on Friday, so cold and rainy on Saturday that a lady from Scotland told me it was worse than at home, so nice and sunny on Sunday that I ended up with a minor sunburn. :lol: Kyle and I did not get a chance to meet on Saturday which was the day he came up.
Thanks, Greg! Yes, it was too bad we didn't get to meet. My wife and I were there briefly, but the rain and cold eventually drove us off, sadly. We did think it was a glimpse of the Old Country... but alas, had to go.
Greg Livingston wrote:Since I am a Steward for the piping competition, I was working from about 1 PM till close and then again on Sunday from 8:30 AM to 3:30 PM. I was able to get over to the clan tents on Saturday just before everyone left and picked up information for registration for next year. I was talking to the Clan Coordinators and there was someone other than Kyle and myself that was looking to register Clan Livingstone for next year. He had not talked with them but with someone at the main stage. At this time, I am their contact for Clan Livingstone but I can always change that to Kyle.
That's interesting, Greg! I walked around the clan tents and handed out some flyers, but a lot of the clans were concerned with their own doings and didn't have time to chat. Interesting that there was someone ELSE who was interested in registering the clan for next year. Wish I knew who that was! We definitely don't want to duplicate any effort!
Greg Livingston wrote:With the rain this year, attendence was down considerably from last year and the number of pipe bands was down as well. The 1st Battalion Scots Guard was our only Grade 2, Wasatch from Utah our only Grade 3 and we had 6 Grade 4 bands. As usual, the Colorado Youth Pipe Band was outstanding and at the head of the Grade. Looks to me like they are right on the cusp of moving up to Grade 3. I didn't get the chance to watch the heavy athletics for very long since it was just raining too much for me. I would have not liked slipping around trying to throw on Saturday. With the weather like it was, I didn't take my camera on Saturday and knew I'd be too busy on Sunday.
I didn't get to take any pictures either, though I wanted to. Ultimately, the rain was the deterrent. Anyway, I did enjoy the pipe bands, but didn't get to see much. Ditto the athletics... seemed every time we came up they wrapped up an event. Ah, well. Next year!

Glad to meet you the other week, Greg. It's great to have another local interested clansman! We'll get together and hatch some plans for next year's games at some point!

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
New Hampshire, USA
beadmom

Post by beadmom »

Canadian Livingstone wrote:Hi Kyle,

You could do a search and locate all the Livingstons in Colorado. Perhaps there are some like yourself with an interest in their highland origins.

regards,

Donald
After this week's search of cemeteries I will know where all the interred ones are.......and there are a fair amount.

Ginger