The Gathering 2009 at Holyrood Park

Public Forum for discussion or comments on Gatherings around the world. This could include Clan gatherings or other Scottish or Highland festivals.
Forum rules
Any Clan, Scottish, or Highland Gathering can be discussed here.
Jill Richmond

Re: The Gathering 2009 at Holyrood Park

Post by Jill Richmond »

Dear Niall,

Brian and I did enjoy meeting you and your family at The Gathering on Saturday. Although our meeting was brief owing to your many committments, it was good to make contact, and maybe we will meet again sometime when your life is less hectic. We really enjoyed our day. There was so much to see - the games, the dancing and the splendid Atholl Highlanders etc. At one point we made our way to the refreshment tent for passport holders, sat on the terrace there and watched all the world and his wife go by. Incidentally we thought the chiefs looked very glamorous - not at all cocky - just distinguished! We were amazed by the crowds. It said in one of the papers I glanced at briefly this morning that 50,000 had visited The Gathering - although on that note it seems as though the publicity in Scotland could have been better, as friends I have spoken to here this morning had no idea that it was happening. However, The Gathering 2009 was a wonderful occasion, and we shall never forget it.

Our photos are on the computer now, but it sounds as though you will have masses. However I promised Donald and David some so will get them off to them, hopefully, today.

Regards,

Jill
Jill Richmond
Bachuil

Post by Bachuil »

Dear Jill

You are very kind.

Please upload some photos to the gallery.

Niall Bachuil
The Baron of Bachuil,
Coarb of St Moluag
Chief of MacLea
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

And I would love to have some as well!

Many thanks to Niall as well for all the articles posted!

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
Jewel

Post by Jewel »

Thank You Niall for all of the wonderful information you took the time to give to those of us that couldn't attend, Oh how I would have loved to be there!! I'm planning a trip to Scotland next year, too bad this couldn't be a yearly event.

Regards, Jewel
Jill Richmond

Post by Jill Richmond »

Hello Kyle,

I would be delighted to send you some photos. Do you still have the same email address or has it changed? Hope the move has gone well and that you and your family are now well settled in.

Regards,

Jill
Jill Richmond
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Jill Richmond wrote:I would be delighted to send you some photos. Do you still have the same email address or has it changed? Hope the move has gone well and that you and your family are now well settled in.
Thanks, Jill! We are settling in, but still have a little ways to go! Still, we're really liking it here! Anyway--yes, the same email address should always work for me, I would think. If you have any trouble, PM me here on the Forum, or write another post and I will figure out what went wrong!

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
New Hampshire, USA
D.W.Livingston

Post by D.W.Livingston »

Alright I think I found the Baron walking in the parade... it is on YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4ERHSj6KD0 "The Gathering 2009 Edinburgh (part 4)"
- if I am correct it starts at about 1 minute 45 seconds into the 5 minute video and it and continues for 5 to 10 seconds.... not very long but it is something. :D
David Wyse Livingston
Tucson, Arizona, United States
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

D.W.Livingston wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4ERHSj6KD0 "The Gathering 2009 Edinburgh (part 4)"
- if I am correct it starts at about 1 minute 45 seconds into the 5 minute video and it and continues for 5 to 10 seconds.... not very long but it is something. :D
Good eyes, David! That is indeed the Chief! His banner of arms is also (partially) visible. It looks like he first appears at the edge of screen about 1:35-1:36. Thanks for finding and sending that!

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
New Hampshire, USA
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi All,

I am sorry to hear that perhaps the event did not go as well as was expected but am looking forward to seeing the photos regardless. Thanks Jill for sending some of yours and we should get them in the gallery. I have not quite figured out how to set that up myself. I thought the shot of the Baron with his daughters and Tommy Livingston was particularly outstanding.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi All,

All things considered 50,000 people sounds like a pretty good number for an event, though I dont know how many were anticipated to attend. You would think there would be lots of publicity for the Gathering given that it would be a great boost for the tourism and the ecnonomy of Scotland. Certainly looks impressive to me from the photos. I suspect the hotel operators and restaurants in Edinburgh were happy to have all that business. The town must have really been jammed with people and traffic. Most importantly is nice to see the people in their kilts and outfits proclaiming their pride for their clan and Scotland. Look forward to seeing more of the photos from the event.

regards,

Donald