Clan Recipes

Public forum that can be read by anyone. Use the Ancestral Search forum for discussion of researching ancestors or family relationships and this one for other topics.
Forum rules
Use the Ancestral Search forum for discussion of researching ancestors or family relationships and the General Discussion forum for other topics.
beadmom

Re: Scottish Recipes

Post by beadmom »

MMMMMMM..Scotch Steak

This post also features The Clan link..

http://365.azillionrecipes.com/index.ph ... tch_Steaks

Ginger
beadmom

Post by beadmom »

Whiskey Granola Recipe

I used Drambuie and this stuff is amazing....and addicting. So, mine is Scotch Whisky Granola!

http://365.azillionrecipes.com/index.ph ... from_Kelly

Ginger
beadmom

Post by beadmom »

HUmmmm..Apples, whisky (in my case scotch whisky), sugar..what more could a girl want?
Okay…maybe a kilted man….yum.

It was cold and JUNE. Uhhgggg. My tomatoes froze on the porch on June 17. I needed comfort food. I find a fair amount of comfort in warm fruity breads baking, as well as warm drinkable scotch. Why not double my efforts?

My kitchen is still under construction in the great “Remodel the kitchen for under a $1000” mission (which is going well) so I had to haul the Kitchen Aid out from where it’s stashed right now and put it on a cookie sheet on top of the stove to reach an outlet. This is not going to happen much longer or I am going to be herniated. I know the poor thing is feeling abandoned.

This bread it looks like the dough is way too high in the pan and going to overflow, but it doesn’t.

Apple Whisky Bread

Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 egg-beaten
2 cups peeled and diced apples (I used Pink Ladies)
3 tbs whisky (I used Glenlivet-scotch)
1/2 cup chopped raisins
2 cups flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup buttermilk

Preheat the oven to 350F
Sift the dry ingredients together in a big bowl and set aside.

In the trusty Kitchen Aid (or with a hand mixer) Cream together butter and sugar.
Add the egg.

Add the apples, raisins and whisky.

Add the dry ingredients and buttermilk alternately.

Scoop into a loaf pan and let sit for approx 10 minutes.

Bake at 350 degrees F until cooked, about 1 hour. Test with a knife to see if it comes out clean.
Roberta Ann

Clan Recipes

Post by Roberta Ann »

[THIS RECIPE THREAD IS FOR RECIPES ONLY. Additional conversation with be deleted/moved. --Kyle]

Hogmanay is the Scottish New Year's Eve and the serving of shortbread to those who go visiting from house to house has long been a custom among the Scots.

Hogmanay Shortbread

3 1/2 cups all purpose flour, 1/2 cup fine fruit sugar, 1 cup chilled hard butter

Sift flour and sugar together and rub butter into the mixture. (The butter must be hard, because the texture depends on long working with the hands). In about 15 minutes the crumbs should be soft enough to be kneaded into a ball. Knead for about 5 minutes until the ball of dough is smooth. Shape into two flat round cakes about 1" thick. Place into 9" pie plates. Pinch edges and prick all over and right through with a fork. Bake @ 250 - 275 degrees about one hour or until lightly browned. Leave in tins until completely cooled. Serve in pieces broken off from cooled cake or cut in wedges while hot. Store in tightly covered tin in a cool, dry place.
Roberta Ann

Re: Clan Recipes

Post by Roberta Ann »

Forach is a rich dessert traditionally served in Scottish homes on Hallowe'en. Each spoonful brought excitment to the young maidens, as each secretly wished for the wedding ring to appear on her spoon.

Forach

Fine oatmeal. Whipping cream. Sugar.

Take the amount of cream you think you will need and whip until stiff. Slowly stir in the oatmeal, adding enough to make the cream appear like sand. Add sugar to taste. Turn into a shallow bowl and drop a wedding ring into the contents. The family and guests each take a spoon and all eat from the same dish. The one receiving the wedding ring in his or her spoonful of forach will be the next one in the group to be married.
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

The Scots are credited with the discovery of marmalade, and their breakfast table is world renowned. Dr. Johnson once told his Boswell that no matter where he supped, he wished he could always breakfast in Scotland; so impressed was he by the wide varity and excellence of Scottish marmalade and preserves.

Citrus Marmalade

3 oranges, 1 lemon, 1 grapefruit, 9-10 cups of water, 8 cups of sugar
Wash fruit and put in a saucepsan, whole. Nearly cover with water. Bring to the boil and cook for 30 - 45 minutes or until fruit is soft enough to pierce with a fork. Turn occasionally. When done, save 2 cups of the juice. Remove fruit to a platter and let cool slightly. Cut up and put through a fine chopper. To the fruit add the reserved juice and sugar. Bring to the boil and cook for 20 minutes. Bottle.
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Bannock

3 c flour, 1 tesp salt, 2 tblsps baking powder, 1 tblspn sugar
2 tblsps lard, 3 cups cold water

Mix the flour, salt, baking powder, sugar and lard. Stir in enough cold water to make a thick batter that will pour.
Combine quickly until smooth and pour at once into a greased baking pan. Fill the pan to half-full. Bake in a 400 degree oven for 35-45 minutes. Serve with butter, honey or jam.
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Scottish Oat Bread

4 c standard oatmeal - not rolled oats
3/4 tsp baking soda
pinch of salt
2 tbls butter
2 tbls shortening
Milk

In a mixing bowl, combine the oatmeal, soda and salt. Rub in butter and shortening. Add very slowly enough milk to make a fairly soft, but dry dough. Roll quite thin, about 1/4" on a lightly floured board. Cut in squares or strips and brown lightly in a 375 - 400 degree oven. Delicious served with butter, cheese or cold cuts.
The Scots used to bake them on a toast rack over the fire.
Jill Richmond

Post by Jill Richmond »

They are good, aren't they Roberta? I like them for breakfast with butter and marmalade. They go well with cheese and pate as well. In Scotland the traditional name for them is Oat Cakes, not Oat Bread.

Jill
Jill Richmond
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Scottish Oats

4 cups rolled oats
2 cups brown sugar or Maple sugar
2/3 cup butter - salted

Rub the sugar together with the oats using your fingers. Add the melted butter and stir to moisten. Spread on a flat shallow pan. Put in a very hot oven for 10 minutes or a slower oven for 20-30 minutes. Store in glass jars. This will burn easily in a hot oven so the oats must be stirred occasionally. These a terrific on a bowl of cereal or on fruit desserts. Also a Munchie for kids lunches, trips or yourself.

Atholl Brose

2 parts honey
1 part whiskey
6 parts cream
Mix the honey and whiskey in a bowl. Add the cream, stir and ladle into wine glasses.