Comments on Clan Recipes

Public forum that can be read by anyone. Use the Ancestral Search forum for discussion of researching ancestors or family relationships and this one for other topics.
Forum rules
Use the Ancestral Search forum for discussion of researching ancestors or family relationships and the General Discussion forum for other topics.
Jill Richmond

Re: Clan Recipes

Post by Jill Richmond »

Glad you liked it Ginger. I must say that we are rather partial to it! If anyone would like the recipe, I will post it on the forum.

Jill
Jill Richmond
Greg Livingston

Re: Clan Recipes

Post by Greg Livingston »

Jill, please do post it to this thread along with any others that you think we would be interested in. My wief and I both like to cook, when we have time, and are willing to just about anything new. One of these days haggis of some variation will be on the menu. ;)

BTW, As Kyle has mentioned above, this thread is for recipes only. This and other comment posts will need to be moved into another thread titled "Comments on Recipes"
Greg Livingston
Clan Commissioner
Northglenn, Colorado, USA
Greg Livingston

Comments on "Clan Recipes" Thread

This thread is to be used for comments about the recipes in the Clan Recipes thread. Please post them all below so that we can keep that thread as clean as possible.

Thank you.
Greg Livingston
Clan Commissioner
Jill Richmond

Re: Comments on Clan Recipes

Post by Jill Richmond »

I'm just going to say a bit about marmalade as Roberta has contributed a recipe. Marmalade is said to owe its origin to a young Dundee grocer, James Keiller*. In 1700 he bought a cheap consignment of oranges from a Spanish ship which was lying in Dundee harbour, taking refuge from a winter storm. It was found that the oranges were extremely bitter and chock full of pips, and they did not sell, so his wife decided to make them into a sort of jam; and marmalade was born. The oranges were Seville oranges, and are still used in marmalade making over here. They are full of pectin (gelling agent). The pips have to be removed and are hung in a muslin bag to dangle over the side of the pan in the orange,sugar and water concoction. Seville oranges arrive in the shops in January, and every January when it is cold and horrible outside, I shut myself away in the kitchen and make marmalade, usually about 22lbs. The recipe I use was given to me by my mother-in-law. It was in use in her parents' house, and we think it is Victorian in origin. I am not going to put the recipe on forum because I think that Seville oranges are unobtainable in the States ( I know that my nephew's wife is unable to get them). But I thought you might be interested in orange marmalade's origin.

* In 1797, another Mrs. Keiller and her son, James, built a factory to make marmalade, and Keiller's Marmalade as a brand came into being. It can still be bought in the shops.

Jill
Jill Richmond
Greg Livingston

Jill, I have a couple questions for you. First, would that recipe be that much different with another type of orange? What is the difference between Seville oranges and other brands/types of oranges? Also, I'm sure that at some time we will have other members joining up from Scotland and they might not already have that recipe for using Seville oranges and would appreciate having it available.
Greg Livingston
Clan Commissioner
Jill Richmond

Post by Jill Richmond »

The thing I would say about Seville oranges is that they have a high pectin content (gelling agent), both in the fruit and in the pips. Other oranges do not have such a high pectin content, but this could be compsenated for by using fruit such as lemons and grapefruit. Another thing about Seville oranges is that, when turned into marmalade, they have a wonderful flavour. I am more than happy to provide my recipe, but to answer your second question, I think that folk in Scotland who had it in mind to make marmalade would have access to Seville oranges during their season of January and February. Marmalade can also be made from lemons, grapefruit and mixed citrus fruit (as mine is). Roberta's recipe including as it does oranges, grapefruit and lemons would make a very nice marmalade. The grapefruit and the lemons would add a good pectin content.

Hope this helps.

Jill
Jill Richmond
beadmom

Post by beadmom »

Jill's Cranachan with my blueberries on 365 Day of Cooking With Alcohol.

http://365.azillionrecipes.com/index.ph ... =Cranachan

Ginger
beadmom

Post by beadmom »

Funny, as a kid I hated marmalade but now as an adult I seek it out in all forms at farm stands and tourist traps and and and..... I think I like Mandarin Orange as well as Lime the best.

Ginger
Greg Livingston

Thank you, Jill. I was wondering what the differences were. It might just take a little trial and error with small batches to get the right pectin amount with what we have available. But then again the citrus recipe would work too.

After having already looked at Ginger's 365 days of drinking, I mean cooking with what MIGHT be left over, I'm not sure I'd want to drink, I mean try, her version. ;)
Greg Livingston
Clan Commissioner
Jill Richmond

Post by Jill Richmond »

Cranachan is traditionally made with raspberries, and Perthshire is renowned for its raspberries and soft fruit. The modern blueberry is not really Scottish, although its wild cousin the blaeberry certainly is and can be found on Scottish hillsides. Incidentally, my recipe for Cranachan is the one posted by Ginger but instead of blueberries use 3 1/2 ounces of fresh raspberries.

With regard to marmalade, I think Roberta's recipe sounds very good. I like a good tangy marmalade, and I think hers would be just that.

Jill
Jill Richmond