Seeking Newsletter Editor

Public forum that can be read by anyone. Use the Ancestral Search forum for discussion of researching ancestors or family relationships and this one for other topics.
Forum rules
Use the Ancestral Search forum for discussion of researching ancestors or family relationships and the General Discussion forum for other topics.
Kyle MacLea

Seeking Newsletter Editor

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Hi all,

I am seeking someone to edit our member newsletter, The Parnassus.

The job has become a little too much for me, especially when times are especially busy. With teaching this autumn, I know it will be hard for me to put together the next issue without some help.

Currently, I receive articles from contributors (harassing as necessary :lol:), write some articles, assemble the articles into a coherent whole in Word, send them out for proofreading, correct, save as a PDF, post the articles/send to Jill for sending out to members.

I am happy to continue receiving articles, writing some, and doing the final PDF and posting... but the assembly and dealing with proofreading have become a bit much, in addition to the coordination of other clan business.

Are there any volunteers who would like to help with this? PM or email me if you have questions or want to discuss it.

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
jmvleasa

Re: Seeking Newsletter Editor

Post by jmvleasa »

Is there is a newsletter coming out soon? Thanks, Jay
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

An additional newsletter was just posted in the Clan Society Member forum and has been emailed to all members, to the best of my knowledge.

Have you not received it? Your pictures and news are included! If you didn't get it on email, it can be found at:

viewforum.php?f=15

I see you were somehow not set as a member. If any other members cannot access the Newsletter sub-forum of the Clan Society Member forum, please let me know immediately!

Also, if you didn't receive an email with your newsletter, also let me know!

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
New Hampshire, USA
Jill Richmond

Post by Jill Richmond »

Hi Jay

I did, in fact, send you the latest issue of Parnassus on 8th August, and I will resend it to you just as soon as I have finished posting this note. Let me know if you do not receive it.

Jill
Jill Richmond
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Kyle,
Your efforts on behalf of the Clan Newsletter have been extraordinarly stellar and it will be difficult to replace you.
Until such time perhaps you could stay on for a while longer we could reduce the number of issues to twice a year. Perhaps scheduling for the creation of the next two issues could be adjusted to your slower periods at the College.

regards,

Donald
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Hi Donald!

In the midst of another busy semester!

But don't worry--I'll stay on as long as I am needed, even if that means squeezing in my newsletter work in the early morning or late at night. But I'm still hoping to find a volunteer... even if it were just as an assistant.

Jill and Andrew and Greg have provided some proofreading for me, which has been much appreciated, I should note, so I already have a couple of ad hoc 'assistants' but I'd love a more permanent one!

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
New Hampshire, USA
Greg Livingston

Post by Greg Livingston »

Kyle, you might want to have an advertisement in the next issue requesting an editor. I'm sure that not all of our members come to the forum often enough to catch this thread.

I am working on my report of the games season now and there a quite a bit to put in for you. Hope you give me enough room ;)
Greg Livingston
Clan Commissioner
Northglenn, Colorado, USA
Kaye Saunders

Post by Kaye Saunders »

Kyle MacLea wrote:But don't worry--I'll stay on as long as I am needed, even if that means squeezing in my newsletter work in the early morning or late at night. But I'm still hoping to find a volunteer... even if it were just as an assistant.
Hi Kyle

I'll volunteer to be your assistant and to have you train me and see if it's something I can cope with. Anything special needed in the way of software etc?

Cheers
Kaye
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Kaye--excellent.

Basically, I just use Word to put it together (the 2007 version, but we could probably get away with an older version if needed). Then, I save it as a PDF.

Some ability to manipulate graphics is helpful (I use an old version of Photoshop, but a lot of programs would work).

Otherwise, I haven't had much need to do much more.

I'll plan on dropping you a line in a couple of weeks when I'm starting to pull things together, and we can work out how you can help?

Thank you so much!

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
New Hampshire, USA
Kaye Saunders

Post by Kaye Saunders »

That's great. I have Word (2011 for Mac, but it can be saved as 2007 for PC) and can use the department's version of Photoshop, or other graphics programs. There's no point in working for a Computer Science Department if you can't hijack what is required. ;)

Will keep an eye out for your email. Being in opposite hemispheres your busy parts of the year may coincide with my less busy times, and vice-versa.

Cheers
Kaye