Official Crest?

Public forum that can be read by anyone. Use the Ancestral Search forum for discussion of researching ancestors or family relationships and this one for other topics.
Forum rules
Use the Ancestral Search forum for discussion of researching ancestors or family relationships and the General Discussion forum for other topics.
Livingstone_PEI

Official Crest?

Post by Livingstone_PEI »

Hi All

I am starting to do the registration form for our family re-union this Summer and I just want to be politically correct. Which crest should I be using for our letterhead for all official packets, registration forms and correspondence for the re-union. I did a search and came up with the following URL which makes for quite a selection of crests. I want this crest to be the official one for Livingstone families from Mull.

http://www.google.ca/search?q=livingsto ... 66&bih=622

Thanks
Barry
Greg Livingston

Re: Official Crest?

Post by Greg Livingston »

Barry,

The offical clan crest cadge is the one you see at the top of the page. The one with Si Je Puis as the motto is the old lowland clan crest badge.
Greg Livingston
Clan Commissioner
Northglenn, Colorado, USA
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Yes to what Greg said. We have a connection to the lowland Livingstons, and so use of the other crest is fine, but if you do that, I prefer to see both together if you use the lowland crest (highland AND lowland--two crests). If in doubt, use the Highland crest with St Moluag (above) alone, but both together is fine.

(However, there it may be hard to match the artwork from different places for the two crests.)

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
Livingstone_PEI

Hi All

Is this one correct? http://www.armsandbadges.com/ItemDetail ... a8cfdd4677
We are Highland Livingstone's....Isle of Mull. Sorry.....crests aren't my thing ;-) but we want it correct.

Thanks
Barry
Jill Richmond

Post by Jill Richmond »

Hi Barry,

This one is a bit of a mish-mash. It is part lowland Livingston and part I know not quite what! We are highland Livingstones and our clan crest badge is shown at the top of the page. If you want to read more about the heraldry of the clan, at the top of the page go to Clan Web>heraldry and you will find it all there. As members of the clan we are entitled to wear the clan crest badge (with buckle) and that only. The rest of the armorial bearings belong to the Chief and are solely for his use.

Jill
Jill Richmond
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Yes, so use this crest:

http://www.clanlivingstone.info/images/ClanCrest130.jpg

(I have a higher-res version if you need it for strictly personal use only. Email me.)

As Jill said, these are the personal arms of Niall Livingstone of Bachuil:

http://www.clanlivingstone.info/Achievement.htm

All others must used differenced versions, and in Scotland these must be done through the court of the Lord Lyon.

You can display the arms shown in the Achievement link, but they must be labeled as the personal arms of Niall Livingstone of Bachuil. Being a Livingstone does not entitle you to use the undifferenced arms as your own, no matter what the "bucket shops" (the link you provided) may tell you. The arms cited were one of the lowland arms, and likely, as Jill said, bastardized in some way.

So, use the crest I've provided above and you can use the arms if you state that they are Niall's and not yours or anyone else's.

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
New Hampshire, USA
Jill Richmond

Post by Jill Richmond »

I think that if you wish to use the arms belonging to the chief, as well as saying that they are his personal property, it would perhaps be polite to ask his permission to use them before doing so.

Jill
Jill Richmond
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Jill is right of course. (I could add "as usual.")

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
New Hampshire, USA
Livingstone_PEI

Hi Kyle

Sure if you could send me a high resolution image of the crest that would be very helpful. We had discussed creating the image on a 44 inch wide poster for this event but realized we would need a high resolution image, so the lines would be crisp. If you could provide me with the image that would be appreciated and the crest will be used for the reunion only and I will specify the unoffical copyright on the image. My email address is bwjudson@gmail.com

Barry
Greg Livingston

Post by Greg Livingston »

Barry,

All of the images we have at this time will not scale that large without getting the "jaggies". My sister is working on one that is vector based instead of pixel based but with her new granddaughter seems to be a little too busy right now to finish it. :D I will check with her this evening and see when she will be able to finish.
Greg Livingston
Clan Commissioner
Northglenn, Colorado, USA