Scotlands weather

Public forum that can be read by anyone. Use the Ancestral Search forum for discussion of researching ancestors or family relationships and this one for other topics.
Forum rules
Use the Ancestral Search forum for discussion of researching ancestors or family relationships and the General Discussion forum for other topics.
Greg Livingston

Re: Scotlands weather

Post by Greg Livingston »

Wow. :shock: Not sure which is worse, that much rain or the consistantly high temps with no rain that we've had here in the States. It sounds like no one was injured there which is a good thing.
Greg Livingston
Clan Commissioner
Northglenn, Colorado, USA
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

It's at least 40 deg.C where I am at present, & it's 10 at night, a bit of rain would be nice,

John
Bachuil

Post by Bachuil »

As I write this it is raining!

However we have had the most amazing summer with temperatures of 29 and 32 degrees. Almost too hot to work outside.

Whilst these floods were happening on the neighbouring island we were fine. These rainfall statistics don't really give the right picture as we had a lot of rain at night! Perfect! http://www.isleoflismore.com/weather/fr ... ersaig.htm

In fact there has been so little rain on Mull that the distilery had to close.http://news.stv.tv/highlands-islands/10 ... dry-spell/
The Baron of Bachuil,
Coarb of St Moluag
Chief of MacLea
Greg Livingston

Post by Greg Livingston »

Our summer started in May and as of Tuesday, 11 Sept, we've had a record number of days over 32*C (90*F) of 72 days with 19 of them over 38 (100*F). And this was at an altitude of 5280 ft. plus. April through August we had 6.54" of rain total. So far this month we've had 1.26" which was one storm that came through the last couple days and actually did a lot of good since it was gentle and most soaked in once the ground was wet enough. I'm ready for cooler weather so we can start repairing all the damage to the yard and put in a sprinkler system.
Greg Livingston
Clan Commissioner
Northglenn, Colorado, USA
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

That sun was brutal this summer in Colorado. I left our place there with the grass in decent shape only through relentless watering. Hope the new folks kept it up!

Hope all is well otherwise, Greg.

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
Jill Richmond

Post by Jill Richmond »

The weather in Scotland this summer has varied considerably, from the beautiful weather on Lismore, as recounted by Bachuil, to the frankly horrible. We have had a very wet summer down in Galloway. While we did not have the severe flooding that other areas endured, from mid-June until the end of July it seemed to rain every day, and if it wasn't raining, the skies were leaden, with hardly any sunshine. Needless to say, people became quite depressed. The weather improved a bit in August, but we are now into autumn, and squally showers are now our lot. I am hoping for a cold, dry winter with some sunshine, as opposed to a warm, wet one. We shall see....

Jill
Jill Richmond
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Jill,
This summer throughout most of the Canada and United States, the weather has been oppressively hot and we could have used a lot more cool rainy cloudy days like in Scotland. That being said though,I dont know how people can tolerate a constant lack of sunshine. You need a certain amount of sun for good health, though too much can be bad for you. A yearly holiday in the Carribean sounds like the perfect solution for you. If you go in the right season on many of the Islands it is for the most part sunny and warm every day with a brief rain shower from time to time.

regards,

Donald
Jill Richmond

Post by Jill Richmond »

Hi Donald,

Certainly a holiday in the Caribbean in January would be lovely. Unfortunately, I am no longer allowed to fly long-haul, as eleven years ago I broke my leg and, after the operation, developed a DVT, and my doctor and insurance company said 'no more long flights'. We have been to the West Indies in the past and had lovely holidays there.

It's Europe only for us now, but there is a lot of sunshine there too.

Regards,

Jill
Jill Richmond