Clan Fundraising Ideas

Public forum that can be read by anyone. Use the Ancestral Search forum for discussion of researching ancestors or family relationships and this one for other topics.
Forum rules
Use the Ancestral Search forum for discussion of researching ancestors or family relationships and the General Discussion forum for other topics.
D.W.Livingston

Clan Fundraising Ideas

Post by D.W.Livingston »

Hello Everyone,

I have been milling around with the thought of doing some fundraising for the Clan to help offset the cost of Highland Games, Server costs, etc. I would like to get a discussion and brainstorming sessions going to get some ideas we might be able to run with or modify specifically for our clan. I am trying to think of things at the Highland Games or online but if others can think of other ways, let's brainstorm a bit.

From http://www.kintera.org/atf/cf/%7BCA8324 ... %20A-Z.PDF

- Auction off a piece of jewelry or hand made items... perhaps members can donate something and then have it sold on Ebay or Craigslist, or a game.
- Book Sale... same idea
- Challenge another team to raise more than you. Maybe have a Month long contest to see which country\area can raise the most money and have the people from that area get some type of clan token? (this one is stretching my thoughts)
- Craft Fairs – many teams take advantage by having a craft table/drawings at these festivals. Again maybe donate crafts that can be sold at different Highland Games
- Cookbooks – collect recipes from clan members (we have already_, have them published, and sell them. Can be produced for approximately $2 each and sold for $7 - $8.
- Shutterbug Mania – into photography? Take candid shots around Isle of Lismore, Scotland, New Zealand, United States,community, schools, etc. and sell!
- Tupperware Party – How about the profits from a "Tupperware" party! (Tupperware, Candles, or any other Home Party activities)
- Yard Sale – Hold the ultimate "Virtual " Yard Sale (I believe they have virtual yard sales, like Ebay once was)... can have members donate old things

From http://www.ambucs.com/assets/MemberReso ... gIdeas.pdf

No-Show Christmas Gala - This involves sending out Christmas greeting cards with enclosed donation cards. It is written as an invitation to an event, but there is no event. (Doesn't have to be just Christmas)
Limited Edition Harley Davidson Raffle - This is a raffle in which tickets are sold for $25 to pay for the cost of the motorcycle, and then the additional ticket sales produce revenue (Doesn't need to be a Harley... could be smaller gift with smaller cost)
Green Nose Day - The club buys and resells green clown noses around St. Patrick's Day. This event is perfect for towns with St. Patrick's Day parades, and also helps build awareness of the club and it's purpose (Can be any "parade" or event that has a lot of people.
Bowl-a-Thon - This event asks for both donations and pledges for every pin their sponsored bowler knocks down. (Can be virtual in that we could pick a date bowl in our local area to have a world-wide bowl-a-thon)
Relay for Life - Teams of 10-12 pay a registration fee to compete in an 8-hour run/walk. The teams also gather pledges, which also go to the club. (Same thing as Bowl-A-thon.. can get cheap pedometers to track how much walking in a day and get pledges, etc.)

So all of these are just ideas to get the creative process flowing. what other fund raising ideas can you think of?
David Wyse Livingston
Tucson, Arizona, United States
livingstoneancestry

Re: Clan Fundraising Ideas

Post by livingstoneancestry »

Hmmmmm...... interesting ? and ideas. Hoping to attend 4 events this year. 1st one is this weekend.

From what I was seeing up in WA State at the events... there was only 1 or 2 clans maybe that sold items. I think the Stewarts did. they would have one tent for them and one tent for their items they were selling, specifically only Stewart items, clan crest mainly, shirts, etc. Last year one of the clans, cant remember who it was, did a raffle drawing I think for a homemade quilt maybe but cant remember if they said what the $ raised was for. I know at least in WA some of the games are very strict about not selling any items that arent related directly to your clan (a clan shop of sorts). And last year, one of my games was fairly soon after the CO shooting. I had asked about being able to accept donations for them. Turned down. Reasoning was something about it was on county property or city property and how it wasnt an official non profit registered item, there fore maybe something about the city getting a %. Cant remember the details exactly.

Will have to check and see what CA allows at some of theirs.... although it would be nice.. too bad we couldnt have a bake sale at our tents

Suzanne
Greg Livingston

Re: Clan Fundraising Ideas

Post by Greg Livingston »

David,

I've been working on a few things for the clan tent including a cookbook. The main problem at this time is a vector based as opposed to pixel based image of our clansman's crest. Right now the largest we can print out is about 2 inches without it being pixelated and looking bad. My time and knowledge to work on an image is very limited so I don't get very far at all before I trash it to start over. If you know anyone that could assist, please have them contact me at games (at) clanlivingstone.com

Thank you
Greg Livingston
Clan Commissioner
Northglenn, Colorado, USA